Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Steering on a 97

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Caleb View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Steering on a 97
    Posted: August-02-2004 at 5:32pm
I"ve got a 97 SN on which the steering is becoming really hard. Do I need to replace the cable? rack? Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

Caleb
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2004 at 2:41pm
you can grease the rudder, it has a zerk fitting directly above it inside the boat. thats what i would try first only because its easy and less expensive. you can test by removing the arm above the rudder and see if rudder is tight or if its the cable that is in need of replacement. good luck
Harry View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2004 at 10:38am
Don't fool around: replace the cable. I have a '97 and the steering was tight, especially at the ends of the travel. I replaced the cable, and now I can spin the wheel with one finger. If you do it yourself (I did), count on it taking several hours, and about half of that spent cursing. One hint that helped me: when you pull the old cable, tie a strong nylon rope on the back end where the rudder attaches. This way you can re-route the new cable in the right place. As you pull out the old cable, have some rags and WD-40 ready, and clean the cable as it comes out of the hole under the bow. It will be filthy, and you don't want bilge grease all over your boat. By the way, this is a three-person operation: one to lay under the bow pulling/pushing the cable, one supporting the cable, and one getting clean rags/tools/beers, etc. It's a pain to do, but it's worth it.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2004 at 1:47pm
Don't forget about the fourth guy... the beer fetcher
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2004 at 4:06pm
Boy I'm glade I have an older model. it took me about a hour and I had to get the beers myself.
WRoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2004 at 5:53pm
I had the same problem several years ago, to solve the problem I drilled and tapped a hole for gease nipple in the cable collar attached to the rudder. I and haven't had problem since... This will save a lot of money..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic