NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New heads and distributor question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New heads and distributor question
    Posted: July-06-2004 at 4:23am
I am not a big fan of this having to add lead additive to the gas that I buy for my 79 nautique. Has anyone switched the heads for a set off a later model LTD? I switch car heads all the time and as far as I can tell this is a standard 351 windsor engine just a little bit differnt exhaust headers. Please correct me if I am wrong before I go buy the new heads and rebuild the engine. Also has anyone put a ford HEI distributor on before, I wouldnt mind throwing out the points for electronic.
1979 Ski Nautique
Will post pictures soon
AWhite70 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 10:52am
I'm not positive on this maybe someone else can back me up (or shoot me down). Most cars in '79 burned unleaded fuel. Your heads are the same as any '79 automotive head. I would guess they would be compatible with unleaded fuel. When I bought my '79 SN last summer it still had the original heads(as far as I know) with 1100hours and the previous owner hadn't used lead substitute, and he had put 800 of the 1100hours on.

Regardless, the heads are the same as automotive and there are several options out there for upgrades. When I rebuilt my engine over the winter I chose to keep the stock heads and port and polish them after I had my machine shop fit them with 1.94"/1.60" valves and hardened exhaust valve seats.

As for electronic ignition you can buy a module to drop right in your factory distributor from SkiDIM for ~$99. That will replace your points. If you truly want HEI you'll have to swap out the distributor, just make sure you use a marine unit. They have features that prevent arcing and keep your boat from going KA-BOOM! I went with a GM style HEI distributor converted to run on a Ford from http://www.performancedistributors.com It was a little pricey but well worth it. They custom tune and calibrate the advance curve to your needs and claim it's way better than stock. If you go this route make sure you get the gear for reverse rotation.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 1:23pm
Farkum,
Check out threads I started on planetnautique site. One on lead additive & one on electronic ignition.
I've got an 84 & have always used the additive. My manual says run leaded only. Answers on that thread had someone checking with PCM and advising that you could check by the size of sparkplugs?
On the ignition, I'm in the middle of putting the one from SKIDIM in right now. I'll let ya know how it runs when I'm done.
craig isom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig isom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 3:41pm
My 1975 Southwind w 351 PCM had hardened seats in the heads and they were original. I've been running unleaded with no problems. I also replaced the old distributor with an elctronic Perctronix(sp)from ebasicpower.com. Works great and easy install.
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 4:44pm
Yeah everyone who keeps saying I can run unleaded I just want you to know that I have checked the valve seats and they are not rotating. Also there is a very large sticker on the side of the valve covers that says 87 to 93 octane leaded fuels only. That and in the manual it says leaded fuel.
1979 Ski Nautique
Will post pictures soon
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 7:30pm
I run unleaded in mine, You can keep wasting money on additive if you want, Hell I'm not even sure you could still buy leaded gas in '79 didn't they switch cars to unleaded in '74?

Also why waste money on new heads. All you have to do is replace the valve seats and valves and even if you didn't with today's unleaded gas you won't have a problem.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 11:22pm
Most older marine heads, including my Chrysler, Had bearing rotators in the valve spring retainers. They also were cast from a higher heat steel, Plus! most older marine engines ran on "White Gas", Which is, the first un-leaded gas. I did, and would suggest, installing hardened valve seats, and stainless exhaust valves. As for the electronic ignition, I'm a dinosaur, give me a dual point any day!
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2004 at 4:26am
the reason I was just going to change out the heads completely is because my friend has a set of ltd heads in almost mint condition that he was going to give me for a week free rental of my cabin. I figured if they would work and I could then run unleaded with no worries I might as well do it
1979 Ski Nautique
Will post pictures soon
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2004 at 7:58am
The choice of fuel is based from compression ratio, ie. 8.6.1,7, uses 87 and it goes on from there. Compresson is the choice of piston and head chamber CC. The higher the compression the higher the fuel octane needed. Lower octane ignites quicker thats why timing is so important to stop pre ignition and heat, etc. Most Marine version 351 are an industrial engine mostly with 8.6.1 ratio with 87 octane fuel. If the pisons are higher ratio and heads are smaller chamber higher octane is needed.
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 11:33pm
First of all this forum is cool. I'm new to owning a boat. I picked up a 1979 Correct Craft with the Ford 302 that hadn't been run much but had been winterized properly having known the previous owner. I purchased the boat and enjoyed it for one summer. I then winterized it according to the manual. The next season I used it 3 times and then it started missing. Rebuilt the carburetor(4 barrel holley). That didn't seem to fix it. I checked the cylinder pressures and they were all around 90-100psi. I couldn't find anything that said what they should be at. Seems a little low, but not too bad. A friend of mine suggested looking at the timing chain. I pulled the cover and found it had about 3" of play which seems eccessive, so I replaced that. Now it barely runs and backfires so hard i blew one of the exhaust flappers off. Also, the tach has stopped working as well, which I'm mentioning with re: to the context of this post. I'm about to pull it apart again and see if i'm off a tooth, and was thinking of adding an electronic ignition while i'm working on it. I've looked at the different web sites you all have suggested and want to make sure that these apply to the 302 as well as the 351. It seems like such a simple setup but it's left me very frustrated and i want to make sure i spend the money and time in the right direction. I really like this boat and enjoyed it sooooooo much while it was running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yak3
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2005 at 1:09pm
If the timing marks on the sprockets were aligned when you replaced the timing chain, then maybe you just need to properly time the engine with the distributor. With so much slack in the old chain, maybe the distributor was used to compensate. Did you hear the chain rattling before you replaced it?

Also know that if you use mid octane fuel, you can advance the timing slightly for a bit of a performance boost.
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2005 at 3:04pm
I don't recall any rattle. If the distributor was compensating, is it possible the shaft may be tweaked and that would cause this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic