Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HEI Distributor for 82 nautique w/ 350

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEI Distributor for 82 nautique w/ 350
    Posted: June-22-2004 at 5:37pm
I have an 82 ski nautique that came with a chevrolet 350. I would like to eliminate the points and condenser and replace the entire unit with a chevrolet hei distributor. You can buy used ones pretty cheap.

My only question is, how does this work with our reverse rotation engines. Do I just need to use my gear off the old distribtor on the new one? Or is there something else involved.

thanks in advance
Dan-H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan-H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2004 at 5:07am
Not sure on the chevy, but I recently installed a pertronix solid state ignition with a new high output coil and it made an amazing difference.

the instructions showed install steps for both rotation directions of the dist.

it is a prestolite distributor.

YMMV,

- Dan
83 ski nautique
AWhite70 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2004 at 10:50am
If you want a HEI distributor check out http://www.performancedistributors.com

They make a marine version HEI distributor for chevy's for $310. Make sure you ask about a reverse rotation gear. That should be the only difference between LH and RH

I recently bought one for my 351W and am very happy with it. The only downside was they charged me $75 for the reverse rotation gear, they claimed that was close to what they pay for them.

Overall the outfit had great service. The product was good, and they are very confident that their calibrated timing curves are much more accurate than stock distributors.
nms1991 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2004 at 11:59pm
the chevy engine does not need a reverse cut gear because they turn the cam the same direction for either rotation. The left handed engine uses timing chain and the right hand uses gear to gear to acheive this. the gears are cut the same direction for the chevrolet based engine.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2004 at 4:48pm
So a standard chevy hei automotive distributor would just drop in???

I can get a brand new auto version for $100 shipped, instead of spending $310 for the marine version. Whats the difference between the marine and auto? Is it worth it to spend 3x the price.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2004 at 6:08pm
It all depends whether or not you want to blow the engine cover off when your automotive dist. arc's and ignites the gas fumes trapped in the cap then the flame from it ignites the rest of the fumes in the engine compartment.

Spend the money

the car version does not have flame arrestors or the corrsion protection a marine grade does.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2004 at 6:46pm
you get right to the point don't ya 79 ?
kenny g
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2004 at 7:38pm
No since mixing words.

I guess the main thing is run at your own risk. Can you get by with an automotive dist. yes for how long, who knows? It all depends how well you have the lines attached and the condition their in and how long is it going to take to leak or build up gas fumes or DNR to look at it and write you a citation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2004 at 7:42pm
Jason

You really should try EBAY there's about four or so to pick from all under 300 beans
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic