Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 SN Water in Oil / Wet Plug

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2023 at 1:11am
Thanks Keno. Interesting. And interesting "lighting" Wink
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 1:05am
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question... Is the bracket in this photo standard? If so, what is it for? Thanks.

MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 2:49am
Muffler support?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 7:33am
Correct, Wood.  It supports the Centek muffler.  Two large hose clamps go around the muffler and secure it to the support brace.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 9:30am
It was standard

And here's a nice clear picture from an old thread.

One on each side of the muffler

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 12:47pm
Thanks Guys.

My boat never had those (since I have owned if for the last 15 years). I know the previous owner had to repair the muffler - maybe it was due to lack of these supports. But it has lasted 15 years...
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 10:56am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The mechanical fuel pump was removed and replaced with a block-off plate.  Interesting for a block from the 1970’s.  EFI conversion maybe?

JQ

Or an electric fuel pump putting out 5 or so psi

Or maybe just blocked off while the engine is being rebuilt at the machine shop

Just make sure there's a fuel pump eccentric in place when the timing cover is swapped 

The eccentric and the timing chain need to be matched. If it's a 2 piece eccentric like your 89 should have, then you need a timing set for a 2 piece eccentric

Everything from the 89 could be swapped if needed.

That'll all get figured out when you have when the cover off.

So it has been a long time (off season) and the new engine build is complete Smile... but the engine builder just let me know that the "fuel pump cam drive needs to be changed". Cry

At the start of the build, I highlighted the new engine's blanked off fuel pump and queried the eccentric with the engine builder, but he said it was all good/compatible. But I now assume the eccentric was never fitted.

What are the chances that the newly built engine (which seems like an older model, 70's era) needs a 1-piece eccentric?

My old engine ('89) has a 2-piece.

My options are:

- 1) Buy and fit an low-pressure electric fuel pump? Then the timing cover doesn't have to be removed again.
 - 2) Remove the timing cover and fit a 1-pice eccentric? If that's what it needs. Can one easily tell from the cam gear whether a 1 or 2-piece eccentric is required?
 - 3) Remove my timing set from the '89 and fit it all to the new motor. What all needs to be refitted? Cam gear, crank gear, chain and eccentric?

Any advise would be great! Thanks.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 11:15am
You can use either a 1 piece or a 2 piece it doesn't matter as long as your chain and gears are compatible.

The cam doesn't care what kind of eccentric is hooked to it.

A  2 piece eccentric uses a chain and gears compatible with it.

Since your 89 has a 2 piece eccentric, maybe you got lucky and your new gears and chain are for a 2 piece eccentric.............or you could reuse the old chain and gears in a pinch if they're in good shape.

Or an electric fuel pump and a low oil pressure cutout switch for safety reasons
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2023 at 5:31am
Thanks Keno.

I think the electric pump is going to be much simpler than striping the front cover off again.

Looks like the Carter P4594 will work, and I'll get the oil pressure switch A68301.

I just need to figure out if my existing fuel hose will work. I think it will.

I have a Sierra 18-8115 with 5/8"-18 male inverted flare ends.

The pump says 1/4-18 NPSF which I think is the same as the mechanical pump, where I used a brass elbow adapter.
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 1:14pm
So the engine is finally back in the boat!

Now time to do alignment and all the new wiring Smile

Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2023 at 4:22pm
Nice - in time for summer.

What carb is that you have on there?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2023 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

Nice - in time for summer.

What carb is that you have on there?

Hey Wilhelm, Its a Quick Fuel M-600. Basically a newer version of the Holley. Bought it a few years ago.Works great Thumbs Up
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2023 at 9:20am
Looks great, nice work!
1980 SN Project
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2023 at 12:28am
Hi,

I have everything installed, and the motor is running, but not very well.

Some notes on the current setup"

- New Carter Electric fuel pump (with oil pressure switch)
 - Same Quick Fuel M600 Carb
 - New engine has a Performer Intake
 - The mechanic damaged the Pertronix ignition module (in my Prestolite distributor) by reverese polarity - he replaced it with a new one.

The symptoms are:
 - Cold start, the idle is a lot lower RPM and rough.
 - If I give a little bit of throttle, it will give a large backfire out the carb and stall.
 - After several starts, (warm engine), the engine idles okay, idles faster.
 - Warm starts are fine.If I give a bit of throttle, the engine runs rough, but as rpm increases it becomes smooth.

I have set timing to 6* BTC, and also tried 10* BTC (as per mechanics recommendation)
Carb float levels are good.
I have doubled checked the plug leads / firing order.

Any ideas? My possible thoughts (based on similar issue I have read online) are:
 - Pertronix ignition module is faulty
 - Sticky intake valve
 - Vacuum leak
 - Clearance between rockers and aluminum valve covers? The heads are different - are they compatible with my aluminum valve covers?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2023 at 1:05am
This is the Pertronix module...

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2023 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Greg_SA Greg_SA wrote:

This is the Pertronix module...

Your picture shows a Pertronix module part #91281 looking like it's mounted to a pretty rusty old plate. That module and magnet ring are for a Ford Motorcraft distributor. Can't see enough of the rotor to know what it's for.

The right kit for your Prestolite with a screwdown cap is a 91589 or the newer lobe sensing style kit that is 91581LS (there are also the cheaper 1589 and 1581LS versions). No magnetic ring is needed with the lobe sensing kits

Maybe due to parts availability in South Africa somebody years ago did some clever adapting and made the 91281 work and the shop replaced the module with one just like it or maybe the shop did some adapting after they fried the old one and didn't get it right.

Maybe it works just fine, maybe not.

I guess you'd maybe know what parts were in it before the module got fried and what are new
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2023 at 10:12pm
Start with basics, make sure the fire order is correct and the wires are correct from the distributor to the spark plugs.  You might have a couple switched or running a 302 fire order on a 351 engine.   Some use 302 cams in the 351 and visa versa so your plug wire fire order must match the cam in your engine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 7:36am
The 351 firing order used with a 302 cam, will give you an engine that's firing on 4 cylinders and runs pretty lousy, so if you didn't swap cams, a check of the cam's firing order is pretty easy to do.

To check the cam's firing order to verify whether you have a 351 cam or a 302 cam,. pull all of your spark plugs to make the engine easier to turn by hand

Use a 15/16ths socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and turn the engine by hand in it's normal direction of rotation to get #1 at TDC on the compression stroke. A finger over the plug hole feels the compression build up as you approach TDC.

Now that #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke, put a finger over the #3 plug hole and turn the engine by hand 90 degrees and you should feel the pressure building up as it approaches TDC.

If you feel the pressure, you have a 351 cam and the firing order is 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8

If you felt no pressure buildup, put the engine back at TDC on the compression stroke for #1 and put a finger over the #5 plug hole and see if pressure builds up as you turn 90 degrees by hand.

If you feel the pressure, you have a 302 cam in it and would need to rearrange your plug wires to give a firing order of 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8, then all 8 cylinders will fire when they're supposed to.

If that ends up being your problem, just say "Thanks MrMcD" Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 11:49am
I would point the Thanks back to you Ken, that is a very nice write up on how to verify what cam type is in the engine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 2:21pm
OK...............we'll just call it teamwork. Wink
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 1:29am
Hi,

Been at the river with the boat with no reception.

Managed to get it fixed by manually checking the cam timing. It has a 302 cam! Can't believe the engine builder didn't get the firing order correct.

Now seeing your responses, you guys were spot on. I basically did exactly what Keno explained.

Boat is running perfectly.

Thank you all for your assistance over the last year. This forum is amazing. Completely blown away by the level of support you guys give.

Cheers,
Greg

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 2:58am
Bingo!  Glad you have it figured out and running well. 
Mark
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 8:27am
well done men!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 1:28pm
Good job Thumbs Up

It probably means that the engine at some point had an "aftermarket higher performance than stock" cam put in it, so the boat just might run a little better........... maybe.

Some were ground with the 351/late302 order and some were ground with the 260289/early 302 order and it causes problems like this at times.

Here are links to a couple of recent examples of the same problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic