Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Propellor choice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DownUnderSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownUnderSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propellor choice
    Posted: October-25-2022 at 3:32am
Propellor Facts

Hi CC Fans

I own a 1999 Sport Nautique with the GT40 and 1:23 reduction gearbox. (320hrs)

I do run a balanced original 4 blade.
I use the boat for general family skiing, my attempts at tournament skiing (4@28 off) and the occasional barefoot. 

Note: I never load the boat.

I have decided on a OJ Prop as a replacement, a Ski Pro 428 (13 x 15.5). I like everyone want more of a good thing!
That said, I would like to get the revs down at skiiing speed, but still want it to rev out to 4,800+rpm.

Has anyone tried the OJ XMP 498 (13.7 x 15.5)?

No doubt it should drop the revs at skiing speed, but will it still rev to 4,800+rpm?

As we all know if it can't hit peak revs it will unnecessarily load the motor throughout the rev range...which is a 'no go'.

Yes, I have reached out to OJ Props for an answer, but they couldn't confirm the the REV OUT question.

At a guess I would like a 12.5 x 16...as I am adamant that would have lower revs at skiing speed and most probably rev to 4,800+rpm....but, from what I can see, it doesn't exist.

cheers
Jason

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2022 at 10:59am
Looks like TRBenj did some testing a few years ago.  Try sending him a PM.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2022 at 12:36pm
Acme 422 or Acme 654 are good options.  The 422 is likely the factory OEM equivalent, while the 654 would provide better hole-shot,  Nothing against OJ, but I’m more familiar with Acme.  TRBenj is a dealer with good prices.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2022 at 2:23pm
Jason, I had similar wants when I was looking for a new prop for my 95 SN,  Fuel Injected 351W 310 HP.
Tim offered great advice and I purchased an Acme 224 from Tim, I loved that prop but after a year or so it was ruined in an accident.   Currently running an Acme 422.   It is very nice but I gave up 1 or 2  MPH top end.
I saw over 5,000 RPM with the 224 top end but it was very good at mid range also.   The two are very similar, the 422 might pull harder down low.   I would have ordered another 224 but the 422 was available when I needed a new prop.   For hard skiing the 422 would be preferred, for a little better cruising speed I think the 224 was a little better but they are so similar we are splitting hairs.   Last time out the 422 topped out at 4,800 RPM with 4 in the boat.   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2022 at 5:18pm
Skip OJ if you care much about top end performance (north of slalom speeds). 428 will turn similar revs to a acme 668 (basically a 422 with more cup). The larger OJ will drag rpm down even more.

1442 is about the sweet spot for the HO ford on the larger Sport Hull (for all around performance anyways).
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2022 at 8:07pm
Jason I own a 98 Sport the same hull as yours. I have tried 4 different props on this hull Acme 470 3 blade 12.5" X 15" , Acme 1442 13.25" X 15" 3 blade, Acme 422 12.5" X 15.5"  plus the original  OJ 4 blade 13" X 16". Even though the OJ had larger dimensions side by side the Acme always looked bigger.

I always come back to the 422 as my favourite prop rpm is down 100-200 at ski speeds 32-36 mph.
The 1442 gives the best top speed and is a stronger pull though.
I have a chart somewhere with the testing I did on these props but that was quite a few computers ago.

Have sold the 470 but still have the other props you are welcome to come visit and test for yourself if you are anywhere near Tamworth NSW.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
DownUnderSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownUnderSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2022 at 6:53pm
Hi guys

Thank you for the advice so far.

Well I've been researching till I'm 'blue in the face' like all of us do when we want something 110% perfect.

Has anyone used the following?

ACME 3098 13.25" x 15.5" 3 Blade

the 3098 has an extra .5" of pitch and a bit more cup than the 1442...but from what i can gather this is the largest 3 blade that ACME make that would suit a Nautique with teh 1:23 transmission.

cheers
Jason

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2022 at 8:06am
The 3098 would be a terrible choice for you- if optimizing performance is a consideration, anyways. It is a much larger prop than any of the above options by a wide margin with all of its extra cup. The 1442 is really what you want for all around performance.

49mph is quite a goal, not sure how you’d get there in that hull without a lot more hp.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2022 at 10:02am
Here's some info from the way-back machine.  The link goes to my first post in the thread, but go back a few pages more, there's a lot of info there, even though the thread title is about prop removal.  Most of it is about Sport's with me, Mark, and a few others reporting numbers on props.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic