Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new 79 tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2022 at 11:32am
So I read the whole post and still don’t know if the fuel pump works!
This would seem the most likely problem to be addressed first, since it fires up with gas down the carb.
reed462 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2022 at 7:27pm
Just tested the pump and got nothing, not a drop of gas. Cranked for around 10 seconds. Aren’t you able to run tests on these mechanical pumps with a pressure gauge? 
79 Tique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 6:39am
Portable tank straight to the pump suction and nothing coming out the discharge is pretty much confirming the pump is no good.

You could be stubborn and crank it longer, with a piece of clear tubing on the suction line so you can see if any gas is moving at all.

If it doesn't pump, a pressure gauge won't do you any good.

You probably have a Carter pump. The Carter number is M60389, you can find them for a wide variety of prices on line

Or you could get in touch with Then and Now Automotive in Weymouth and get a rebuild kit or have them rebuild what you have now.

The newer ones aren't rebuildable, the older ones are. Their rebuild job will be more expensive, but seems to use better parts than the newer pumps

Send me pictures if you want to verify what you have for a pump Wink

Here's a link to Then and Now

reed462 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 9:58am
Was just about to make another reply regarding the fuel pump. I removed my duralast fuel filter that connects the hoses in the middle going from the pump to the carb. And I turned it over and fuel actually did come out, u can see the little amount of fuel in the little mason jar. Could it be as simple as the fuel filter? 

79 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 10:25am
That pump doesn’t seem to have the clear fuel line that returns to the carb, maybe it just doesn’t show in the photo, anyway, that line is a marine safety feature that shows fuel leaking past a cracked diaphragm in the pump.
Also, a metal line from the pump to carb is required for safety.
The term “death trap” comes to mind. A clogged fuel filter is the least of the problems imho.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 12:09pm

Reed    Your fuel pump is an AC dual diaphragm marine fuel pump, the green arrow points to the place where you can hook a hose to that would run up to the carburetor/flame arrestor to indicate a ruptured primary diaphragm. Somebody has a black hose hooked to it.
It's a lot easier to see fuel in that line if it's clear Wink

That line being clear vinyl is OK per the USCG regs and speaking of the USCG regs, rubber fuel line between the pump and the carburetor is perfectly acceptable as long as it has the right rating and the hose clamps are clamping the hose onto barbed fittings. The hose is rated USCG A1-15 or a later version is A1-10. You won't find it at your local car parts store.

Here are a couple of links you can read

CBR1000 dude should probably read them too, it's been gone over many times here on CCF.

Some people like rubber, some like metal, the Coast Guard just tells you what they approve.

And for your other question..............yes a plugged fuel filter could be your whole fuel delivery problem, but the stuff plugging it had to come from the someplace like a dirty gas tank.

More pictures of the engine would be good.

reed462 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 4:13pm
Thank you for that info regarding the pump and my fuel filter and fuel lines.. i will add some pictures of the boat
79 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 4:35pm
I defer to the greater knowledge of Keno. 
I've had 4 CCs and all had metal fuel lines, and thought it was standard. Routing of rubber fuel line so close to high heat sources and spinning belts, moveable dog house engine cover, also seems dangerous to me. Just my opinion of course.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 8:12pm
Here are some pictures from Reed.

I got 3 out of 4 right side up ..................not too bad Confused

I think all 79 Commander engines came with the AC pump and a rubber supply line from the pump to the carburetor as original equipment.

It may not have the USCG stamping on the hose, but being hose that's about 43 years old, I'd probably replace it........... just because.

The flame arrestor has the right fittings for the breather hose from the oil fill cap (big fitting) and the ruptured diaphragm indicator clear hose The carburetor also has a fitting for the fuel pump overflow hose and it looks like the black rubber hose mentioned earlier is hooked up there. Just pick one fitting to use and cap the other one. No real advantage of using one over the other.

I think I'd put the carburetor back on, new filter, hook up the fuel line, prime it with a little gas down the carb primary throats and see if it starts and runs, then do things like replace the hose and if necessary the fuel pump and/or a carburetor rebuild.

Let's cross our fingers and hope it runs and your fuel supply issue was the filter being plugged.

Then you could also change the fuel filter/water separator on the suction side of the pump to make sure that isn't a problem, 

And then the line from the tank to the filter/separator could probably also use replacement if it's original 43 years old, and the anti siphon valve on the gas tank could be checked too.

I guess you could call it a pretty original "survivor" Wink

reed462 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 11:12pm
I have my new impeller coming tomorrow so once I can run water thru her I’ll see if I can keep it running. Should I be worried about the rust towards the front of the intake manifold and down on the pulleys? The coil and distributor are extremely corroded and rusted as well. 
79 Tique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2022 at 7:56am
I'd get it running, then worry about the rust after that. Wink

If the rusty coil is working, "then don't fix what ain't broke"

If you have ignition issues, a coil replacement might be in your future
reed462 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2022 at 11:23am
79 Tique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2022 at 12:46pm
Congratulations!
reed462 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2022 at 10:32pm
Questions regarding structure of the boat.. The stringers to my knowledge seem sound, when i first looked at the boat i checked the lags and no free spinning on all 8 bolts. Used a socket to tap for delam and disbond along stringers and nothing. No cracks of any sort on the fiberglass coating around the stringers. Just not sure about how they look towards the bow of the boat. Floors seemed warped..? they tend to dip in some spots. not too sure if that is due to wet foam or the floors just being rotted. Just one more note: lots of spider cracking along the hull of the boat and up by the chines, which makes me a little nervous and confuses me because i believe the structure of the boat is solid but isnt spider cracking in the gel from the fiberglass expanding because of heat
or am i incorrect?
79 Tique
reed462 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2023 at 3:04pm
so obviously i am aware now that the old girl needs to be completely rebuilt from the hull and up, something that is very inevitable with these bath tubs. i am in school for auto mechanics so the motor, trans, electrical is ez but i have little to no clue on where to start with the hull and stringers. i wanna be able to do it myself but i obviously want it done right so the boat will last the full 20 years or so. just have 0 experience with fiberglass and im not too sure if this is something i should take on if im not confident in said field. any advice from u brainiacs?
79 Tique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2023 at 6:56pm
Once upon a time you had zero experience with lots of things but did some learning along the way,......... we all did Wink

Here's a good thread to read in the link below that might help you decide if you want to tackle a stringer job.

I think they started out not knowing a lot about stringers fiberglassing etc. but did a heckuva job and it's well documented

Figure out how long you think the process will take and then multiply that by 3 or 4 and you'll probably be close
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic