Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 carb pcm motor no oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fresno1995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fresno1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 carb pcm motor no oil pressure
    Posted: November-06-2020 at 3:27am
Hi,  New to this .    garage find  1995 ski Nautique  300 hours. has not  been run for over three years .   drained oil  and changed filter . filled with new Mobile 1     0-40 .      have   no  pressure   for  about   1 min.   after wards    30  psi   .   changed   sending  unit   from  ski  DIM .      going  to   get  test   gauge  .     does   any one    have  any  other   ideas.    
thanks    Glenn  in Fresno 
Glenn in Fresno
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 6:50am
I would first get the mobil 0-40 out. Do some oil research on what oil to use in a 26 year old flat tappet camshaft engine. Most run a 15-40 or a 20-50 in engines of that vintage. I have a relatively new car designed to run on 0-40, I have never seen it's oil pressure get over 22 lbs. It's oil pump pressure is controlled by the ECM,yours is not.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 11:30am
Use Mobil 1 15w50 recommended by Mobil for all flat tappet and roller lifter engines.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Fresno1995 Fresno1995 wrote:

filled with new Mobile 1     0-40 .

Great for new engines designed for the 0-40 but NOT good for your 95. Follow the advice above. Do a search on ZDDP to learn more concerning flat tappet engines. Yes, as Gary mentioned, get that 0-40 out before you damage the engine. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 1:02pm
0-40, wrong for the application.
I run 15-40w Diesel oil, Castrol, Delo or Rotella brand.  They still have the ability to protect your old school lifters and camshaft and it is cheap to buy and works well.
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 5:19pm
+1 for Rotella 15w40 with ZDDP additive for flat tappet engines, I use it in my '72 GTO too.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 6:09pm
Fresno - You're not alone.  I stepped into the oil-pile once too!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I stepped into the oil-pile once too!

Chris,
Yes, but if I remember correctly, yours was a ZDDP issue. Glenn's is a ZDDP AND a oil weight issue. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 7:46pm
Pete, you have a great memory!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Pete, you have a great memory!

Chris,
It really wasn't memory but more intuition. I thought to myself, with Chris's mechanical skills, there's no way he would be putting 0 weight oil in his Nautique!! Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Fresno1995 Fresno1995 wrote:

Hi,  New to this .    garage find  1995 ski Nautique  300 hours. has not  been run for over three years .   drained oil  and changed filter . filled with new Mobile 1     0-40 .      have   no  pressure   for  about   1 min.   after wards    30  psi   .   changed   sending  unit   from  ski  DIM .      going  to   get  test   gauge  .     does   any one    have  any  other   ideas.    
thanks    Glenn  in Fresno 

I think a little more information would be good here.

During that minute or so of no oil pressure, does the engine sound like an old Singer sewing machine, with all kinds of clickety clack lifter noises or is is normal sounding?

Did you have it running before the oil change so you know what pressure was with the old oil?

Your test gauge will tell you a lot when you run it with that hooked up.

Somehow I don't think 0W-40 oil will give you no oil pressure for a minute, then magically go up to 30 #.

If it really is zero with the mechanical gauge, then you have other problems.Wink

Plenty of people recommending oils which would be good to use after the problem is fixed
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2020 at 7:11pm
You may want to pull the distributor and run the oil pump with a 1/2 drill. Do that with the key on and you can look at oil pressure on the gauge.  Better yet, plumb in a mechanical oil pressure gauge and you can determine if your pump is good or bad.  Be sure to secure the socket and extension on the drill. I used some duct tape to keep everything together.  Losing a socket in your engine will ruin your weekend.  Better yet, use one of these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-27062

Do a search on YouTube about priming the oil system with a drill. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 6:32am
If you're gonna do the socket and extension on a drill, it's a  1/4 inch drive 5/16 socket and a long 1/4 inch drive extension for your 351.

Somebody will probably come along and tell you that duct taping the pieces together makes about as much sense as those guys that stick a plastic tube in their PCM transmission to pump out the oil.

Sometimes it works great, sometimes the results aren't pretty at all

You can sacrifice the socket and extension and get them tack welded together or spend 10 or 15 bucks on a priming tool.

Somebody else will probably come along and throw out the reminder that on a 351 Ford, you need to run the drill backwards.

I think I'd listen to those "somebodies" Wink
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 9:20am
drill *backerds
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fresno1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 1:11am
Thank You everyone .   I  did  dump  the  oil  filter  and  oil  and  went  with   Shell  Rotella   15-40w   with  wix  filter.    Spring  has   arrived  in  California  and   the  temps  are   in  the  mid 80's  and   sunny .  I  borrowed    oil  filled oil  pressure  gauge   and  took   off the   new oil  pressure sending  unit  and plcaed  the   tester fitting on the  T.     Started  motor in the  lake   and  had   psi  of  60   right   as I started motor.   went  down   to   40  psi.   Glad its  not  the  oil  pump .   Now  the  question is,  Do i  have  possible  grounding  issue?   
I  am like  to learn  and  tinker, but is  this  over my  head.    Any  Help    would  be   much  appreciated .    

Glenn in Fresno
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2021 at 7:27am
Well at least you know you have good oil pressure.

I'm a little unsure if you just put in a new sending unit and had these issues or had the issues and then put in a new sending unit.

Do you still have low pressure indicated on the dash gauge?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fresno1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2021 at 3:59am
hello ,    
 had the issue prior  and  thought it  was  sending unit  due  to  age . 

the  oil  pressure   gauge   is  slow   to   get  pressure.  

I  also  changed  temp sending   unit .      it  is  also   slow  to  get   up  even   with  engine  running.    

It  has  to  be   in the   wiring ?    
any  suggestions .   thank  You    
Glenn in Fresno
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2021 at 5:36am
Funny how one question just leads to another

The temp gauge being slow needs a little better description too .It's always kinda slow since the water has to heat up. Assuming you have a good, functioning thermostat, it should take at least a few minutes to be near normal temp after you start the engine from cold conditions.

Or do you mean that you have the boat running with normal oil pressure and water temperature indications and you turn it off then start it again right away and the dash gauges are slow to respond?

But.......if you're convinced you have wiring issues check the grounds first since grounds can make things happen that are next to impossible to give a logical explanation for. 

Crazy wacked out trailer lights that have a mind of their own are a good example of "bad grounds" Wink

That would be the gauge grounds under the dash and each of your sending units grounds itself to the block through the threads.

Some people say that they have to be installed with no thread sealer of any kind, others will use a small amount of sealer with no issues

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic