Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

96 Sport Windshield reassembly

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 96 Sport Windshield reassembly
    Posted: August-15-2020 at 12:23pm
So amazing the forum is back up and running. Keith, you are amazing. I just donated to CCF, as many others have said, I encourage everyone else to send them a donation too!

My 96 Sport restoration is coming along slowly. The original windshield had been rivetted and screwed to death over the years and was full of non-original holes and still loose. I took it to a welding shop and they spend about 6 hours welding all of the holes (except for the base holes that attach to cap of boat). They did an amazing job and looks flawless. Then the pieces went over to the powder coater and got color matched (black matte) to the new tower. I've got it all back and ready to assemble.

Now I will need to figure out how to CORRECTLY screw it back together. Should I screw or rivet (when I took it apart, it had both), and does anyone have a 94-2002 Sport/Ski/SNOB in good original condition that could take some close up pictures of proper screw/rivet placement?  

Would love some input about how to correctly put this thing back together!!
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2020 at 12:26pm
Another related question...the walk-thru windshield hinge is pretty bent. Should I try to straighten? My buddy who owns the local marina said most can just be replaced with machine wire of the correct gauge. I'm not even sure what machine wire is or where to get it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2020 at 1:18pm
Matt,
Measure the diameter of the hinge pin and with that you can look up the wire gauge. Most home centers will probably have bare copper wire by the foot. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2020 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,
Measure the diameter of the hinge pin and with that you can look up the wire gauge. Most home centers will probably have bare copper wire by the foot. 

Peter, thanks!! Any idea on screws vs rivets for the windshield?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2020 at 1:08am
Anyone with a 93-99 Sport/Ski/Super that has same windshield. Would love some input here!  Thanks!
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

Anyone with a 93-99 Sport/Ski/Super that has same windshield. Would love some input here!  Thanks!

I just recently refurbished my 99 sport windshield. New powder coat, glazing vinyl, and screws. I will take a bunch of photos and post them. Any particular spots you want me to focus on?

Either way, I would strongly recommend you screw it back together. It will require a specialty type screw that lowes/home depot did not carry.

You will need 18-8 Stainless Philips Truss Head Screws #10 x 3/8" They have a very shallow/ wide head.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

I just recently refurbished my 99 sport windshield. New powder coat, glazing vinyl, and screws. I will take a bunch of photos and post them. Any particular spots you want me to focus on?

Either way, I would strongly recommend you screw it back together. It will require a specialty type screw that lowes/home depot did not carry.

You will need 18-8 Stainless Philips Truss Head Screws #10 x 3/8" They have a very shallow/ wide head.

The pictures would be amazing. Mostly I just want to see the locations of all the screws. Also did you replace the rubber strip that goes along the very top edge of the windshield? My needs replacing and I have not been able to find a replacement anywhere for it.

Did you paint the screws black or were you able to locate them pre-painted. I’m headed to Fastenal this afternoon to see what they have. Hopefully I can start putting it back together this weekend.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 8:27pm

Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

The pictures would be amazing. Mostly I just want to see the locations of all the screws. Also did you replace the rubber strip that goes along the very top edge of the windshield? My needs replacing and I have not been able to find a replacement anywhere for it.

Did you paint the screws black or were you able to locate them pre-painted. I’m headed to Fastenal this afternoon to see what they have. Hopefully I can start putting it back together this weekend.

I tried to take some pictures tonight but the lighting wasn't the best. I also have the newer style windshield that did away that top rubber strip. BUT give Ocean Dynamics a call. They helped me source my glazing vinyl. I just sent them a sample. TaylorMade actually referred me to them. Supposedly they even have the ability to remake windshields. 305-770-1800 Ask for Nancy.

My windshield has 10 screws total. 3 per wing, 1 in each corner. 4 on the center window, 1 in each corner.

I did not paint the screws. I actually decided to leave them chrome since the longhorn is going to have some subtle chrome added.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic