Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solenoid/Starter issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solenoid/Starter issues
    Posted: June-03-2017 at 4:37pm

97 Sport Nautique
GT 40 EFI

At the end of last year I was having an intermittent starting issue. Sometimes I would turn the key and nothing would happen. I could jump the starter with a screw driver and get the boat to run if I had to.    So this spring I ordered a new ignition switch and a new solenoid from Nautique parts. I ordered the heavy duty solenoid.   Now when I start the boat the starter stays engaged. (even if I bump the starter and leave the key in the on position the starter still starts the engine, and if I leave the engine running the starter gets hot).     I wouldn't be surprised if I had a bad starter but I attached the picture of how I wired the new HD solenoid to see if you guys noticed anything obvious. I plan on hooking up the old solenoid to see if it does the same thing.
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 4:46pm
When the starter stays running, Ohm across the start relay contacts (the two big lugs) to see if the contacts are welded together. Last year when you had the problem, were you getting the volts to the start relay coil?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 5:06pm
Sounds to me like you have it wired wrong. Isn't it one of the new permanent magnet starters? I wonder if on the solenoid the terminals have changed and you have the starter engagement wire on a lug thats "hot" when the key is on rather than one thats "hot" when in the start position. Or if you changed the key switch you connected the wires wrong? Would this help at all?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 6:43pm
Pete I wish I understood electricity as well as you. Not sure on your questions; never checked last fall.   Gary the key switch is a very good question. I put the old solenoid back on and I think I need to check the new ignition switch because the fuel pump would not come on until I had the key in the start position.   
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 7:23pm
Johnathan,
Here's Tim's basic wiring diagram. Maybe it will help. Take a look at the ignition switch. The yellow red wire goes back via the NSS to the start relay (solenoid). That you should get 12 volts on it when the key is in the start position. The purple wire is for the ignition and anything else the engine needs to run. Check it for 12 volts when the key is in the run/on position. Also note the yellow red wire should go to the S terminal on the start relay (solenoid).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 9:54pm

It has been a while since I pulled up my massive file of images. This is from a parts boat, a 1993 SN. So the grime and general lack of use is NOT from me! I was just documenting they way everything was when it arrived. But going through these files brought back a lot of memories.

I post this because it is difficult for me to see what wires go where in your photo. I replaced this solenoid because I was having similar issues as what you describe. I also replaced the starter (mine was horribly corroded) at the same time and now it cranks quite reliably. I also dumped the Pro-Tech ignition and replaced it with a DUI (documented elsewhere on this site).

One question that I'll lead with - why does your solenoid have four posts? Mine appears to have three.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

One question that I'll lead with - why does your solenoid have four posts? Mine appears to have three.
Kevin

Kevin,
Take a look at Tim's drawing I posted above. You'll see he pictured a 4 post start relay. The two big posts for the contacts to the starter and then the two small ones marked S and I. The S is always on any relay as it goes to the relay coil to pull the contacts together. Then there's the I terminal that's on 4 post relays. During cranking, it provides full voltage to the coil by by-passing the ignition ballast resistor . Some engine manufacturers use it and some don't. The idea is that during cranking, there's a voltage drop due to the high load of the starter and a little extra boost of volts are needed to the coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 10:45pm
Pete
All of that makes sense, except I have a third wire that fits on one of the larger poles, It appears to run the fuel pump if we connect it to power. I thought when I took it off it was on the same side as the yellow/red wire going to the starter but I am not sure if that makes sense. Still not sure if my key is wired right either yet. I have an electronic ignition.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 11:48pm
So I found the original problem, As Gary suggested I had my key switch wired wrong.   The only thing now is where does that purple wire go that fits on one of the big poles. I was wrong about it feeding the fuel pump. THe fuel pump works perfectly with out it. When I took it off it was hooked up to the large pole that feeds the starter when you turn the key to start the boat.   My buddy things it was on the wrong side.   I am going to hook every thing back up and see if it makes a difference what side its on. It is the only wire that isn't in any of the diagrams I have found.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 8:51am
You have a 97 Pro Boss GT-40 EFI so the wiring diagram that Pete posted doesn't exactly pertain to your engine.

That's one is for a mid 80's engine with one of them old fashioned things like Pete (and me) called a carburetor and the older style starter

If you look in the GT-40 manual in the link section 6 has wiring diagrams.

Page 6-10 and 6-11 show a purple wire from the key switch "A" terminal to the solenoid "I" terminal.

There's not one big comprehensive wiring diagram but if you bounce around you'll see on Page 6-2 that it's part of the"EEC power and keep alive circuit"

So..........now you have a diagram with the wire but I'm not sure the diagram agrees with what you had originally.

I don't think any of the diagrams show the solenoid with all of the wires attached though.

Probably your best bet is to have somebody take a good clear picture of the solenoid on the same engine
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

My buddy things it was on the wrong side.   I am going to hook every thing back up and see if it makes a difference what side its on. It is the only wire that isn't in any of the diagrams I have found.

I'd say that you definitely don't want to hook that wire to the terminal that has the BIG RED Battery wires to the starter.

Looking at the diagrams and how your solenoid is wired up, functionally it's the same whether that purple wire goes to the other big terminal with the yellow/red wire (as you have it now and how you remember it being wired) or to the I terminal.

That's from knowing what the inside of the solenoid looks like and how it functions.

If you hook it to the post with the big red ones, you'd have back feeding of power to the ignition switch and constant power to the EEC even with the engine off and the key in your pocket

You found a key problem and fixed that so hook your purple wire where it was on the solenoid and you should be good to go.
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 1:14pm
There is a purple wire that runs from the I terminal but it has a smaller connection and definitely fits there.   The mystery one is the purple wire with the bigger connection made to fit on one of the larger terminals. I didn't see any of the wireing diagrams that showed anything there but I hooked it back up the way it was and the motor purrs.   Much better sounding than when the starter runs all the time!
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 1:42pm
Johnathan,
Great to hear you got it and glad we were able to help.

If you are ever traveling east on 90, when you go past MSU give them a big shout out for me. I spent 3 years there. After graduating, I spent 18 months carpentering at Big Sky on the mountain village before the hill was even opened. I lived north of Big Sky where the Gallatin canyon opens up next to the river. Map Googling, it' looks like plenty has happened in the 45 plus years. I see there's a business called Montana Whitewater there now. I miss the area but at the time work was pretty seasonal so I decided to move back home to the Chicago area.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 12:28am
Pete thanks a lot for the help, and yes somehow I figured out that you had gone to MSU in another thread and we visited about it some. I am also an engineering graduate from MSU.   I was civil. Big Sky is definitely different now days. Not the same as it used to be that's for sure. I know the area on the river you are talking about. That would be an awesome place to live especially back then.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic