NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wired

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wired
    Posted: December-02-2015 at 1:05am
I'm wasting time refurbishing a 69 Merc 350. It's always the same, where did Mercury get their wire? It is always a mess. Merc had the worst insulation I have ever seen. A bit of time and I should have it sorted out but golly, this is ridiculous.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 6:33am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

where did Mercury get their wire?

John,
I understand that they were one of the first to source their wire from China.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 2:32pm
I would not think that in 1969 that would have been done yet Pete. I know the 64 my Dad had was crude too. I'll check his 03 and see how that one looks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I would not think that in 1969 that would have been done yet Pete

Ok Gary, Taiwan then!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 3:23pm
The gas fumes in there just destroyed them all - I've had dozens, have gotten a few years out of some of them with whip it dip it type products.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 4:06pm
New internal and external harnesses are still available for the "Tower of Power models, but these small Mercs aren't popular enough to justify it apparently.
Snow flurries today so I can't pull the Mustang out to pull the engine and do fiberglass cutting & grinding, looks like I'll be playing with this mess again.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 4:41pm
A bunch of years ago a dropped 1200 bucks in electrical parts for a tower of power that I have done nothing but move out of my way since then, I am stuck with keeping it forever now.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 4:51pm
I'm sure there are some out there who would love to take it off your hands, Joe.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 6:29pm
I think the 10 hp? and under Mercurys are actually rebranded Tohatsu's. This one is a 25 and was test run by Marv Brehmer, a good old Wisconsin boy I'll bet. Don't know where the actual wire came from but the harness was assembled in America. Mexico exactly but America none the less,just like where my Chevy came from

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 8:14pm
All Mercs <75hp are either a Tohatsu or made in China.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 9:08pm
What's the Merc plant in Fond du lac Wi. producing? A couple years ago they wanted to shut down the facility but the state and city must have talked them out of the move and probably with tax incentives. I drove past it the other day and Merc is now expanding the plant. Go Walker!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 10:09pm
I refurbished a 1977 Merc 850 a month ago, I came across the same problems with some of the wiring. Interestingly it seemed that the wires that were the most problematic were either white or black in color. All the other colors were fine, no deterioration.
Old school goin back to school!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 4:22am
I think it is the results of bad decisions on both sides over many years. I chose this Fox article to compensate for my list to port.
Mercury Marine

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 5:03am
John,
That's a very interesting report. Thanks for linking it for me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 10:22am
That is an interesting article. I do know that down in the Keys the outboards of choice are Yamaha. They are supposedly good and they are cheaper than Mercury. I say supposedly good because a neighbor recently had one corrode internally thru the water jacket. He ended up having to replace both at the tune of 50k. I wonder where they come from?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 10:31am
Just looked it up,Japan,France and Brazil.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 10:38am
Yamahas cheaper than Mercurys? Not even close around these parts, yamahas are the premium motor and the mercurys more of a price point at least in the mid range sizes. If I was in the keys I would buy a Yamaha or Suzuki, spending money for anything nicer than a mercury on a fresh water lake with seasonal usage however is crazy. All the current big name 4 stroke outboards are so superior to even the best of the 2 strokes they have completely obsoleted them in my mind... which is why my last tower of power will likely never see the water again.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 10:39am
It seems like I see more Yamahas, Suzukis and Tohatsus in Maine than I do Mercs and OMCs.

Threadjack while all you outboard people are paying attention. I have a 1987 Johnson 9.9 that has run without problems since I bought it new, until this year. I could barely keep it running the last time I used it and when I pulled the plugs, they were covered with a thin coat of what looked like lithium grease. Could that be indicative of a bad head gasket?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 12:02pm
Bruce I think the first step like any engine is to do a compression test and go from there. Owning one by default,modern outboards are amazing but then so are modern inboards.
Every shop down there will send out a tech if you have trouble but if it's something serious in it goes. For inboard repair I don't think there is anyone around anymore except big diesel stuff. I'm including a picture to give a perspective on where we are at in relation to the water. When the neighbors start their boats and leave, these outboards are so quiet that if you don't actually see them go you don't even know it and if I remember correctly the new ones can be flushed without starting too. As we are all familiar with, when one of us inboard guys leave the whole block knows. I have the only inboard on this canal,there is another on the next canal over and a couple of big diesel boats in the system.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 12:52pm
That looks like a NICE place. Ever notice how when the outboards go by you hardly care to notice, but when an inboard goes by, you can't help but watch it, no matter what brand it is?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 1:07pm
Everything said above about new and old and 4 stroke and 2 stroke is true. But that being said, there is nothing that says summer like the smell of a 2 stroke chugging by, at least for this old timer. We still have a few on our lake and when they chug by, it is like getting in a time machine back to my youth.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That looks like a NICE place. Ever notice how when the outboards go by you hardly care to notice, but when an inboard goes by, you can't help but watch it, no matter what brand it is?

Truth...on both accounts.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 7:16am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

that being said, there is nothing that says summer like the smell of a 2 stroke chugging by, at least for this old timer. We still have a few on our lake and when they chug by, it is like getting in a time machine back to my youth.

Yup Larry, I agree they sure do bring back the memories. Gone are the days when the marina's even had pre mix at the gas docks too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 9:22am
It is a familiar smell, but I can't say I love it. We had a 50 Johnson growing up than ran 25:1. One quart of Sinclair oil to 6 gals. The engine had ports to access the spark plugs for changing without having to remove the cover. This engine has to have been the biggest pig ever made. It would smoke out the beach when pulling up a skier.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

All the current big name 4 stroke outboards are so superior to even the best of the 2 strokes they have completely obsoleted them in my mind...

Agreed the 4 strokes technology is unbelievable, unless you want to make your outboard go REALLY fast, then it's pretty tough to beat the 2.5 Merc for go fast mods, reliability and just plain toughness. Oh and the sound, you will definitely notice, and I have come to appreciate it almost as much as our inboards...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

the best of the 2 strokes they have completely obsoleted them in my mind... which is why my last tower of power will likely never see the water again.   

Joe - now that I know you have one of those, I will keep my eye out for a period correct hull to put that on, maybe we can make up a fun little toy to play with. I'll leave it with you in NY, and that will give me an excuse to come out and visit!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 2:20pm
Personally I like the direct injected 2 strokes much better than the 4 strokes. I would guess that the Evinrude E-tec accounts for 60-70 % of the outboards on our chain, but there are a few Optimax and Yamaha HDPI engines out there. Harder Better Faster Stronger. And cleaner.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 3:53pm
We had one old T-O-P merc on our lake the past few years, maybe around an 80 hp. On a classic old (late 60s?) all dark green glastron. Not my favorite glastron because it was a very deep v hull, as compared to their sleeker boats of the era. And like I said, all green, no glastron > at the rear. But still a cool old boat. Not there this year. Don't know what happened to him. There are a few old tooners with smelly 2 strokes on them tho that I enjoy having pass by.

I worked with a girl a couple years ago, she said something about liking the smell of a bilge, Gotta like that in a woman.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic