NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing PCM GT-40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing PCM GT-40
    Posted: October-16-2015 at 5:22pm
Hello All,

It is that time of the year here in Ohio, time to put the boat away for the winter. I have winterized outboards before, but I have never done a ski boat before, let alone a boat with EFI, so I just want to make sure that I have all the of steps down and that I am not missing anything. I am doing this on an 2001 Nautique with the GT-40, no heater or hot water shower.
1) Add stabilizer to fuel
2) Warm the boat up to running temp, then drain and change oil and filter.
3) After oil has been changed, start the boat back up to circulate new oil through out the engine.
4) Shut boat down, then pull all drain plugs from motor. I think there are 5 total. Is that correct?
5) After water has been drained, replace all of the plugs and tighten to torque specs. Do you have to put some anti-seeze on the plugs when you are putting them back in?
6) After plugs have been put back in, I am going to hook up the 5 gallon bucket fake a lake set up that I have and then add 5 gallons of anti-freeze to the bucket, fire up the boat and let the anti-freeze be pulled into the motor. Once the anit-freeze starts to come out of the exhaust, shut the motor down.
7) Crack a beer and shed a tear because the season is over.

I do have a couple questions and wanted to get everyone's thoughts.
1) The Nautique Manual says to pull the spark plugs and add roughly a teaspoon of preservative oil to each cylinder. Do people do this or do they use fogging oil? I have heard that you are not suppose to fog EFI motors.
2) Above I mentioned, pulling the 5 drain plugs on the motor, but is there a drain plug for the tranny cooler or is there anything special I need to do with the tranny cooler?
3) Is there anything I am missing or do I have any steps out of order?

I really appreciate everyone's help and feedback.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 5:35pm
Pretty close

Step 1 is ALWAYS crack a beer though.

You've got the basics. Drain the water from the engine and then replace with antifreeze (method of choice). There are no torque specs on drain plugs. Don't overtighten them, it'll cause headaches down the road. Snug, one click past girl tight, is sufficient.

No reason to circulate fresh oil. Getting the old stuff out the pan is the real concern.

You know where all the drains are? Nothing to drain on the trans cooler, it will get drained of water while you hook things up to the antifreeze bucket. Depending on what hose goes where it might even get some antifreeze through it, won't matter either way though.

Drain the water from the sea strainer. Change trans fluid. Disconnect battery (it can stay in the boat).

Sounds like you didnt' quite read between the lines fogging an EFI engine. The cylinders don't care how the fuel and air got in, reason for not fogging EFI is fouling up sensors along the induction system. You're free to directly get oil into each cylinder if desired. With a carby engine it's completely safe to spray down the barrels.

Any possibility of critters squatting in there for winter?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 5:41pm
Aaron,
If you what to do it the hard way, then go ahead. Drain and probe the hose for sediment. Then pour the antifreeze in one of the top hoses off the T stat. If you want to use 5 gals, that's also your choice but all I've ever put in any engine is 1 gal. All you want to do is get some in any low spots. Yes, the trans cooler needs draining. Remove the lower hose from it to the RWP. If it does have a drain plug, don't bother. The trans cooler shell if thin copper and they bent/warp real easily. Some anti seize on the drain plugs is a good idea. Many including myself have replaced them with drain cocks with removable stems so you can still probe the holes.

I fog via the carb while the engine is running. Start spraying, give it some gas, spray some more to choke the engine to a stop. Running the engine to suck, is complicated and wasteful of antifreeze. Plus, why run the engine after you fog?

EDIT: I missed it's a EFI. Fog via the plug holes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 6:33pm
That you guys for your responses. I am pretty sure I know where all of the plugs are. There is one on each side of the exhaust manifolds, then one on each side of the block, and then one on the water pump, is that correct?

How difficult is it to change the tranny fluid? I have never done it before on a car, let alone my brand new to me boat, so I am a bit nervous to jump into that. Is it something that must be done if the fluid looks good and is at the proper level. If so, can anyone point me in the direction of a good write up on how to do it? What type of fluid do you use? Just normal tranny fluid from an autoparts store?

Again, I really appreciate eveyones help. Just want to make sure that I don't screw this up.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 6:47pm
It's easier in a boat than a car. I'm pretty sure it's covered in the manual just like winterizing (they are in the reference section here too, have you looked?).

Copy and paste this in google:
"tranny fluid change site:correctcraftfan.com/forum"
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 7:24pm
Sorry I didn't do a search on that yet. It didn't cover it in the manual. I states to have that done by a tech. So wasn't sure what all was involved in it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 7:24pm
Aaron.
You've got all the drain plugs but don't forget the trans cooler.

Check the tans fluid for level, color and smell just like you would in a car. If it looks good without any milky color (water) and doesn't smell burnt, I'd wait on a fluid change. I'm not sure what hours the manual says but personally, I'll go about 200 before changing it. You need to suck it out. There are inexpensive hand pumps that work fine. Yes on the fluid but get one that says Dex/Merc. Absolutely no synthetic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 1:30pm
Pete you call pouring the antifreeze in the "T" hose the easy way.
Maybe on your Atom but on my GT 40 it's a heck of a lot easier to suck it in from the strainer hose than it is to try to wrestle with that short T hose in that confined space.
Just saying
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 2:11pm
Paul my hose goes from the raw water pump over the engine to the v drive then returns back under the engine to the thermostat cover. I just disconnect them and use a 2' piece to pour the antifreeze in,maybe you could do something similar ? I really only do that because of the amount of water the hoses and drive hold would really dilute what I put in.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Pete you call pouring the antifreeze in the "T" hose the easy way.
Maybe on your Atom but on my GT 40 it's a heck of a lot easier to suck it in from the strainer hose than it is to try to wrestle with that short T hose in that confined space.
Just saying

Paul,
Maybe you're thinking about different hoses. I didn't think these hoses from the T stat housing to the manifolds are that confided.

BTW, my Atom isn't the only boat I've winterized!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 3:17pm
Easiest way for me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 4:58pm
Pete looking at your picture got me thinking as I would have used the hose before the thermostat.
I happen to have a couple of thermostat housings and motors in the garage so I pulled a housing apart and If you are doing it as you say using that hose and 1 gallon of antifreeze. I can't believe your getting much antifreeze in the motor itself.
Here's the path I believe the antifreeze would be taking.
Assuming the thermostat is closed most is going to pass over the top to the other manifold. Then the second most amount of AF is going to go through the small bypass passage into the J tube till its full enough to travel into then through the water pump into the block
At the same time a small amount will find its way into the intake but that's the most restrictive and the least direct path through the housing.
So (and these are guesses)
1 quart + goes straight to the other manifold
1 quart probably 2 fills the JTube and water pump, impeller housing and if the impeller is out the hose going to the transmission
That leaves 1 maybe 2 quarts for the intake and what flows through the water pump.
That wouldn't give me a warm fuzzy in the middle of winter thinking there's only a quart or two in my block.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 5:14pm
Paul,
You are forgetting the main passages are behind the circ pump into both sides of the block which is the main concern. I don't even worry about the exhaust manifolds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 5:21pm
That's why you drain it before adding the antifreeze so its not diluted and again after your done that way anything if left will be antifreeze. When the J tube and pump are full the extra will flow into the block thru the pump passages in the timing chain cover.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 6:35pm
Closest I've got to winterizing is yesterday we actually closed the windshield .

Best time of year, yesterday we saw 5 boats all day, then my wife said "fishing boats don't count" so it was really only 2.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 1:28am
Real funny there Jeff we'll see who's laughing in January
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 9:57am
I am with Paul, way easier to do the suck-up method, with the a/f, takes a couple extra gallons but who cares at $2 each. I would also change the tranny fluid, again its about $6 worth of fluid, change mine every fall. Did anyone mention draining any water from the FCC? If you are unsure when the filter was last changed you may just want to replace it also so you know going forward what your intervals should be.

BTW Aaron, were you the guy Brownie and I met at Trophy Lakes back in 2006 during spring break??
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Real funny there Jeff we'll see who's laughing in January

Yup, it's coming. ..36 degrees this morning. Typically winterize around Thanksgiving.

Oh to be a snowbird...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I am with Paul, way easier to do the suck-up method, with the a/f, takes a couple extra gallons but who cares at $2 each. I would also change the tranny fluid, again its about $6 worth of fluid, change mine every fall. Did anyone mention draining any water from the FCC? If you are unsure when the filter was last changed you may just want to replace it also so you know going forward what your intervals should be.

BTW Aaron, were you the guy Brownie and I met at Trophy Lakes back in 2006 during spring break??

@Quinner, sorry I missed your question from last year. Yes I am one in the same. Hope you have been doing well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic