NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 oil pan capacity test

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 oil pan capacity test
    Posted: August-14-2015 at 10:24pm
After some questions have come up about oil pan capacity, I decided to do a test. This pan is off of a 92-93 PCM 351 Ford. Cannot find a part number on it but it is the same as the one on my 95. In my Rebuilding Small Block Fords book it is the same pan that was used in the 351 powered Econoline vans. I put in 1 qt of water at a time at 0* engine tilt and 12*
Dipstick is part number R041033A  PCM book says inboard use, 5.8 1986 up. Another source says 5.8 1989 up and 1971 through 1985  level mount

0* and 1qt almost touches the dipstick

12* and 1qt- 1/4" below stick

0* and 2qts half way between bottom of stick and add

12* and 2qts

0* and 3qts- now up to Add mark on stick

12* and 3q0* and 4qts is now Full on stick

12* and 4qts is 1/2qt low

0* and 5qts overfull and up to dipstick mounting tube

12* and 5qts Full on stick and up to rear sealing area on the pan to block

outside view of pan
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 10:30pm
Gary,
Great information. It should be linked in the FAQ thread.

Wow, the things a retired person can come up with!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 10:50pm
Yea life is good. Would have been great if I could have worked in a ride!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 12:17pm
Cool experiment. So 4.5 qts is the magic number tipped 12 degrees?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 1:57pm
I would really go by what's called for in your engine's manual. Before I did this I had thought that maybe the dipsticks were mounted more centrally so as when the engine was tilted the oil level read the same. It seems counter productive that when its tilted the oil level can then come in contact with the crank and more so when according to the stick you are low and then add more. I don't think you could order an engine as a 0 degree or 12
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 11:48pm
Remember too that when you add 5 quarts at an oil change that some of that oil stays in the filter. Not 1/2 a quart, but it might be close I'd think. Boaters have been putting 5 quarts in per oil change for decades on our 351W's. This is very interesting data and the next time I pull my dipstick I'll be thinking of this.

Added it to the FAQ.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:31am
Kevin my PCM owners manual from the mid to late 80's says oil capacity is 4 quarts and 1 for the filter. Also found out on the 351's they used the same pan from '71 to '85. '86 and up same pan but with metric drain plug. '91 and up HO same pan as '86 up but with windage tray. There are several dipsticks depending on year and dipstick tube but for the most part there is one for "level" mount engine and one for "inboard" engine which I would guess is dependent on the engine angle mounting. I think it's safe to say if your pan looks like that one,put 4 quarts in and check the stick. If it's at the full mark your good. If it's low, mark it,thats your new full mark. Put in another for the filter and your done.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 10:40pm
Here are some of the pictures missing from the above post -

0 degrees 1 quart-

12 degrees 1 quart-

0 degrees 2 quarts-

12 degrees 2 quarts-

0 degrees 3 quarts-

12 degrees 3 quarts-

0 degrees 4 quarts pan full on dipstick-

12 degrees 4 quarts- 1/2 quart low on dipstick

0 degrees 5 quarts-

12 degrees  5 quarts-

Missing picture -  Full on stick and up to rear sealing area on the pan to block

PCM 351/5.8 oil pan -

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 5:56pm
I guess that the part number of the tube and the dipstick you used would be good info here Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic