Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Hard Start When Hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Hard Start When Hot
    Posted: July-25-2015 at 8:47pm
Could anyone shed some light on a starting issue I am experiencing? Boat starts great when cold and runs great all day. However, after sitting (5+ minutes) when hot it will take a while to turn over (3-5 seconds) and barely wants to start at times. Has not left me stranded, but it's definitely noticeable. I've already changed the fuel pressure regulator and low pressure fuel pump.

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36112&KW=&title=gt40-fuel-pressure

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2015 at 7:07am
You need to check these to items when it is in the failing condition and report back.
Do you have spark?
Do the fuel pumps prime on initial key on??
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2015 at 11:53am
Barley turn over? Or Barely fire up and run? If the first your starter is dragging worn and is pulling to many amps and turning slow or your Battery is weak.. If the later your Ecm/fuel relays could be suspect if your Spark and fuel pumps checked out ok.. I recently had a extended hot start crank issue on my 99 gt40 and replaced my Fuel pump and Ecm relay's and it fixed my issue.. They are standard old school ford relays.. Duralast/Auto Zone # 19272 if you wanna do the local parts route..
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2015 at 5:10pm
It would be the later, 'barely fire up and run'. We do not lounge much, so the condition has been hard to test. Battery is new and I don't get the impression of a weak starter. I also hear the fuel pump(s) prime, too.

The best I can describe is extended cranking and barley fire up and run. Once running, no issues. Sometimes I have to turn the key multiple times and/or takes a few seconds until it starts, only when hot. The condition usually occurs when turning the boat off at the dock or when changing skiers/riders.

I may need to let it sit for 15-20 minutes to find out if there really is a problem. I have a fuel pressure gauge, extra spark plug and a spare relay for testing. My plan is to test back at the dock and start with spark/fuel pressure when hot.

NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2015 at 9:23pm
Dylan, Sounds like your in the same situation I was, I'm IMOP the Gt40 is one of the best motors PCM has ever produced and many on here will say the same.. Although it does have its quirks/common issues like any other engine.. Make sure both low pressure and high pressure pump prime when u turn the key to Start postion.. Sometimes it's best to actually put your hand on the low pressure pump to feel it buzz because it can be muffled by the HPFP.. Do you have a Spark checker? If so check spark when your engine fails to start.. If the spark is weak your Coil could be going South or the Ignition module.. but the Module's on these motors harldy ever fail.. Its almost always a fuel pump or relay issue on a hot/soak starting issue...like I said switch the ECM and Fuel pump relays out.. I would also recommend reading the Poor Man's gt40 diagnosis on here.. It's a sticky thread
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by sport1999 sport1999 wrote:

It would be the later, 'barely fire up and run'.

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same issue, only while hot though. Cold engine cranks instantly, hot engine turns over for 4-6 seconds before starting. 

For others who mentioned fuel and ECM relays, are the relays impacted by heat?
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 10:49pm
Anything is possible-switch them around one runs the pumps the other the ecm. I always carry spares of them in the boat. Ever change the distributor?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic