Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Rebuild
    Posted: June-02-2015 at 2:23pm
head gaskets or valve cover gaskets??? slip of the tongue i'm guessing.

As Gary mentioned, there are little spacers to help prevent over torquing. I didn't realize they were even there until after I lost one of them. I thought my new gasket would come with them, but it didn't (i bought a fairly cheap one), so I used the ones i saved. in the one bolt I didn't have the spacer, i just snugged it up, to about the same pressure i used on the other ones (that was in the top left corner on the starboard side). I haven't notice an issue. I used 3M weatherstripping adhesive to adhere the gasket to the VC before putting it on. Not sure if grey RTV is better, probably is.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 2:18pm
If you have to drive, make sure all your socket stuff is 1/4' the 3/8 drive socket will not fit.
H2oXtremes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 2:00pm
It is true about pulling the entire engine Gary, but I would have had someone pull it before I attempted it. But it being now a project of replacing head gaskets and watching youtube videos of it on other engine brings up more questions. the Skidim gaskets should be arriving in the mail today but the picture looks like they are cork. As a0128 mentions about crushing gaskets is this a real issue? Are there any torq specs on the bolts I should be aware of has anyone used some grey RTV before placing on the gasket? I have to ask all the questions because my boat is at my cabin and my cabin has limited tools. I want to only bring what I will need for the 5 hour drive. So it appears I will be brining my entire socket set collection. I did not purchase exhaust gaskets so not removing that would be the best option.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 12:18pm
I just did my VC and exhaust gaskets two weeks ago. Like others have said, it is possible to remove the VCs without removing the exhaust, but if you do, the exhaust isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm not a mechanic and this was the first time I have done it. I think the whole process,, VC and Ex, taking my time, was less than 2 hours and no cursing! I probably would have done it faster if there was another person holding the manifold while I tried to get the screws in, but meh, more manly to be done by myself (well, at least my wife gives me props for it )
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 11:26am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Did it as well without removing anything

A carefully sized fragment of paper towel mashed between the socket and the bolt head can make the bolt adhere to the socket to ease assembly, much like a magnetic screwdriver.

I think I used duct tape myself - chewing gum proved unreliable.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 10:58am
Did it as well without removing anything

A carefully sized fragment of paper towel mashed between the socket and the bolt head can make the bolt adhere to the socket to ease assembly, much like a magnetic screwdriver.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 9:43am
I had that same year 2001 and replaced the valve cover gaskets with removing the manifold. You will need a 1/4 socket wrench, 1/4" extension and 1/4" swivel. Its tight but can be done. 1000hrs is nothing, I have seen camp and rental nautiques do 3-4k and still running strong
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 1:54am
Pleasurecraft gaskets have spacers in each hole to prevent crushing,I think the Felpro rubber ones do too. You might have to drop the manifolds and that will be a job but just a couple of days ago you were willing to do that and pull the engine too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 1:33am
Just don't over torque the bolts and crush the new gaskets.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 12:37am
the swivel socket fits well? I wont need to take the risers off to access the lower center bolts on the valve cover? I rather not have to remove the risers I can only imagine how rusted the bolts may be even if I use an impact wrench.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 10:53am
Yes, I got the rubber fel pro ones . You will need a 1/4 swivel socket
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 2:18pm
OK i have ordered the gaskets from Skidim.com now is this job an easy job as it seems? Just removing the 6 bolts from each cover, removing the old gasket and laying in the new ones?
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:57am
I concur, Run it!

1150 hours aint nothing.

Compression test if you wish
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:38am
Save your money put some of those rubber valve cover gaskets on and keep skiing. Do a leak down test to see what your numbers are. Much like a doctor,do some tests first before a heart transplant
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:26am
Hey friends, I'm sure there is a thread out there for this but searching didn't bring up anything. My engine has 1150 hours on it. It's a 1985 nautique 2001. I'm thinking its time for a rebuild. I'm finding oil residue around the lower rear areas of the engine valve covers on both sides of the engine block. Engine still is running strong no blue smoke no nothing aside of the oil which is also showing up in the bilge area. My boat is in the mid Michigan area north of Detroit in the thumb area. I'm looking to see if any Michigan people here in the area can recommend an engine shop for a rebuild or engine exchange. And also what is the approx engine rebuild rate going these days?

Thanks!
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic