Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 Windsor Swap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 Windsor Swap
    Posted: March-07-2015 at 9:21am
I have an odd question or not so odd. Is it possible to put an aluminum block from a newer mustang cobra into a boat in order to lighten the weight of the boat? The idea here is to get rid of the cast iron block. I know I would have to change all the internal parts to make it a right hand rotation motor. I am wondering if it would hurt the torque output and horse power?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by racingnc racingnc wrote:

I have an odd question or not so odd. Is it possible to put an aluminum block from a newer mustang cobra into a boat in order to lighten the weight of the boat? The idea here is to get rid of the cast iron block. I know I would have to change all the internal parts to make it a right hand rotation motor. I am wondering if it would hurt the torque output and horse power?

Are you prepared to add fresh water cooling? There are some drawbacks to aluminum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2015 at 10:29am
A newer Mustang Cobra will have an aluminum 4.6 DOHC modular motor, which has never officially been marinized and probably wouldn't fit under any existing engine box because they are so wide. There weren't any aluminum block 351W in any production cars, they are only available through Ford Racing for bigtime $$$. A better option would be swapping to aluminum heads, but you'd probably want to look into a set with coated water jackets for marine use.
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2015 at 10:44am
What would you suggest for aluminum heads for a 1986 Ski Martinque?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2015 at 10:47am
What's a Ski Martinique?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2015 at 10:51am
Block material choice would have no effect on hp output, just weight and strength. Heads will change a little (aluminum dissipates heat better than cast iron so you can run a little higher compression ratio without detonation), but flow characteristics are really the primary determination of power output.

I would recommend taking a step back and determining your goals for the boat and establish a budget... We might be able to point you in the right direction. Why the concern with weight loss?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2015 at 10:51am
The difference in weight won't probably won't make a measureable difference in the performance of your boat. All that hassle for maybe 1 mph??
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2015 at 10:54am
Oh, and another important point that I just thought of..... There probably are no reverse-rotation parts available for aluminum blocks!
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic