Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford pcm 5.8 carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Julie7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford pcm 5.8 carburetor
    Posted: February-22-2015 at 1:32am
I'm trying to find out which carburetor I need for my 1992 correct craft. I was told by a shop it would be 1000 dollars to replace with a new Holley and a rebuild wouldn't do. Don't understand why, but does anyone know where to get one for a decent price? For a ford pcm 5.8l 351

Thank you!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 2:53am
Hi Julie, welcome to the site. You've come to the right place. When you can, please post a photo of your boat and the engine so we can see what we are working with.

But before that, can we know why you think you need a brand new carb? Who told you this information? It would help to know what problem caused the concern about the carb in the first place.

If it is the carburetor I wonder why a rebuild won't fix the problem. That is an interesting statement to make.

This site is all about getting advice from some people that know their boats fairly well and then fixing it yourself. Paying somebody else can be expensive, as you have already found out.

If you'd like to shop around for pricing there are a couple of sites that specialize in Nautiques and some that sponsor this site, so we tend to steer you towards those.

Here are some options, all of them well below $1,000:

Skidim (Discount Inboard Marine)

Nautique Parts

Carb Rebuild Kit from N3 Boatworks

Please do NOT just order one of these parts. I'm making some assumptions about your engine but don't know enough to suggest you start spending money. Please tell us more about what is happening and we can figure it out together.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 3:09am
Dealers get a solid $1000 to replace a carb. Slightly unfair. I just put a new one on as I don't have good luck with rebuilds and don't like, but that's my experience which is greatly different from most others here. I found Summit and Jegs to have the best price on a 4160 Holley Marine, $575 if I recall with free shipping. Being a '92 you may need a 4010 ( dual fuel inlets) I think that's the correct number, which is about an extra $100.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 3:31am
I bought a factory reconditioned carb from Autoline. Its a Holly 4160. It was less than 300 canadian.
It worked perfect right out of the box, and needed no adjustment...

Part is CM-702
http://www.autoline.ca/marinecarb.htm
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 9:35am
Easier and less problematic for a dealer (Or most any repair person, these days?)to "replace" rather than repair. With dealer mark ups, add ons, and install labor, $1000 seems dealer ball park? Rather high in my opinion, but that's how they operate.
For our 1992, I bought a used 4160 for $150, and had it rebuilt (Rock auto rebuild kit on sale $20.!)by a qualified friend. AND, I still have the Edelbrock carb running on it. Holley is stand by, and NOT for sale. Good Luck.
Js
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Julie7 Julie7 wrote:

I'm trying to find out which carburetor I need for my 1992 correct craft. I was told by a shop it would be 1000 dollars to replace with a new Holley and a rebuild wouldn't do. Don't understand why, but does anyone know where to get one for a decent price? For a ford pcm 5.8l 351

Thank you!

$565 from Florida Inboards inc.
850 215 1996

Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80319-1http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80319-1
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Julie7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:57am
Thank you all for the help. Great information. The boat had been covered with multiple covers no still ended up getting water in it. Probably the Arizona monsoons. So the bottom of the engine was sitting in water about a quarter way up and everything inside was covered with mold. Heartbreaking and tragic but I've got most everything looking back to normal. The carburetor was full of water and looked very corroded and the mechanic said that its destroyed. I know there was a lot of rust in it too. How does this happen in a year? Or maybe it already had problems. It did kind of have a difficult time starting up. Anyway the mechanic had it running the other day with using a carb off another boat temporarily. (And another boat mechanic had told me the engine was shot altogether). It is very difficult to find people to trust here when it comes to my boat especially. I had a Sanger barefoot boat and was just having its oil changed and told that the rod that goes to the prop must be bent because it was offset compared to the rudder. And that was going to be a lot of money. I called Sanger and they said it's made like that on purpose.

Anyway thank you all for your help!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 12:33pm
Julie - you've likely figured this out but - don't store the boat with the plug in it. And before next winter go to the FAQ in the Boat Maintenance section and click on the thread about storing your boat for the winter.

Installing a new carburetor is an easy job to do even if you have only some basic tools. Buy a carb, look at a video or two on line and you'll be good to go with a lot of extra $400 in your pocket.

We can talk you thorough changing your own oil too...
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 12:36pm
I live in Tucson and own a 92 and an 89. I put new Holley 4160's on both recently. If you have the dual inlet carb skidim sells the tube to convert it to a single inlet. I've owned the 92 since 93 so I have a lot of experience with it. Keep posting your questions. Lots of expert advice will follow. And I know it's to late but always pull the plug when you store your boat. I pull it each time I leave the lake.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 12:41pm
Here's step one in a series from Holley on carb removal and installation:

Carburetor Video on YouTube

From there the other videos in the series would be easy to find.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 1:01pm
Here's a write-up I did on how to remove/replace the fuel line and tools needed:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27143
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Julie - you've likely figured this out but - don't store the boat with the plug in it.

And ANY cover must be vented to prevent condensation. That's what caused the mold.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic