NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Walter Vdrive #02D adapter housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
t.franscioni View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Walter Vdrive #02D adapter housing
    Posted: February-13-2015 at 1:47pm
Hello,

Im a punk ass kid from Planet Nautique who needs some real mechanical advise from the Nautique vets. Im removing my Vdrive unit on a 2002 SuperAir to send in for overhaul. Iv got the Vdrive unit and (#38D splined adapter flange) removed but I also want to remove the (#02D adapter housing) which I want to send in with the vdrive unit. My problem is I have to remove the transmission (locknut from reverse gear) which has about 150 ft lbs of torque on it and has been punched on the lip of the nut to lock it in to a groove in the output shaft of the tranny which the nut is threaded onto. I have managed to grind away most of the punched area of the nut to make it easier to break loose but when I put a socket on the nut to remove it the entire threaded output shaft just spins freely. Is there anyway to lock the tranny so it wont spin so that I can get some torque to that nut to remove it? Any tips or advice on how this should be done would be appreciated. Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2015 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by t.franscioni t.franscioni wrote:

Hello,

Im a punk ass kid from Planet Nautique who needs some real mechanical advise

Lol, welcome.

Have you tried an impact gun?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2015 at 2:50pm
No not yet but that is the plan as soon as I can get my hands on one. I'm guessing I will still have to lock the tranny some way though to keep it from spinning.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2015 at 3:00pm
I don't think you will... That's the beauty of an impact gun. It's the only way to take off crank pulleys and flywheels... Should work the same for you. There's no way I can think of to lock the transmission- it's hydraulic.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2015 at 3:24pm
I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2015 at 3:30pm
Impact gun!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2015 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Impact gun!

Terminologies do differ in different parts of the country. In the Midwest, we would suggest using an impact wrench!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2015 at 5:37pm
Proper Terminology: Impact Gun Air Pneumatic Wrench or
IGAPW ! Pronounced : I-gap-wa!
Yep different language altogether!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic