Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans cooler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tidrow55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidrow55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans cooler
    Posted: December-26-2014 at 7:47pm
I just picked up a 1980 SN and top cap on the trans cooler is leaking a little around the seam. It looks to be soldered. Any reason I could not re-solder that joint?

Thanks,
Dwayne
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 9:00pm
Not sure on the re-soldering, but I'm pretty sure a new one is less than $100.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 9:34pm
Probably could be resoldered but not worth in IMHO. They're between 89-130$ depending on the size. Attempting a repair that could cook tranny isn't worth it at the rate.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 10:19pm
Dwayne,
Unlike the previous members who seem to feel soldering is a difficult process, I'd save the $100 and solder it!!!!

How about some pictures of the new boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:36am
It's just a copper tube with copper caps re-solder it, I did the one on my '85 that leaked has worked fine ever since.
Just remove all the paint, clean the copper real good with some emery cloth and solder it. Make sure you have a torch with enough heat propane won't cut it. Mapp gas or acetylene is needed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 9:03am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Make sure you have a torch with enough heat propane won't cut it. Mapp gas or acetylene is needed.

Since you are dealing with thin copper the same as copper sweat fittings, I question the need for Mapp and acetylene. I've used my large soldering iron (not gun).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 9:17am
Here's a good example of what can be done with an iron. The patch I soldered on my 1915 launch gas tank is 1/8" steel.

This is a 2" cast iron threaded tank flange to repair the fill opening. I soldered it on with the iron as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 11:06am
I absolutely agree that it can be resoldered however, soldering copper for those unfamiliar with the process, can be rather daunting. I make a living soldering componants under a microscope but I can't solder copper pipe for s*"t. I think it's an art form that very few can do really well.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 11:06am
By the way Pete, that work is outstanding!!!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 11:08am
I agree... If it's not busted internally and the external crack is obvious, I'd give a repair a shot. Water in the trans, I'd buy new.
tidrow55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidrow55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 12:55pm

Here are some pics of the new ride. Let me know what you think.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 1:42pm
Dwayne,
Nice find. Enjoy the water. BTW, no tubing!

I forgot the mention that when removing or attaching the trans oil lines, always double wrench them. Since they are soldered on to the thin copper shell, the solder joint can break.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tidrow55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidrow55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2015 at 12:30pm
Removed cap, cleaned, fluxed and re-soldered. Still need to test but I think it should be all good!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2015 at 2:57pm
Nice looking rig!
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 5:47pm
Cool boat!! Big fan of the retro interior
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic