NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

50's Table Finish Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50's Table Finish Issue
    Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Also, I knew there were all sorts of solvents out there except the furniture refinishing solvent is a new one to me. I'll google it; like any particular brands Pete?

Homer Formby was the first one to come out with the process but Ace even has one. It's noting but a mix of different solvents so it goes after any type of finish. As the finish dissolves, it's rubbed bake into the wood leaving the patina but not a glass smooth finish. It's more of a "Danish oil" look.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:05am
Steve, it's solid except for a trim ring around the edge; it's a round table w/o the leaves. The trim ring is way thicker than modern veneer; it's deceptively thick. The ring to table joint is invisible other than following the grain and the lack of endgrain, and the top edge of the ring was carefully rounded to meet the top. It's A+ work IMO, but my folks weren't fancy.

Pete, I never saw the original finish.
It may have had a gloss finish in its early years but is maybe satin now? I say maybe because it's an unfamiliar finish to me. That's why I thought it might be varnish, 'cause I haven't used that. I'll try to get a pic up today. There's a number of folks here who've seen it but I probably had a cloth over it.

Thanks for the interest guys. Amy isn't thrilled with it the same way I'm not thrilled with some of what I see in the stores today. Also, I knew there were all sorts of solvents out there except the furniture refinishing solvent is a new one to me. I'll google it; like any particular brands Pete?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 11:56pm
Greg,
Was the original a real smooth glossy finish? Short of sanding, you may want to try one of the furniture refinishing solvents. It will not remove the patina but will not give you the glass smooth finish. I've used it on antiques and like the results.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:42pm
Is the table solid or a veneer?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:31pm
I have a 50's kitchen table(pretty sure it's maple) that has been damaged by the protective table cloth my dear grandmother put on it years ago. It was a plastic cover with that soft touch stuff on the back(70's era) that she would put a nicer cloth over.

The issue is that the soft stuff heated? into the varnish? finish; especially where things sat on the table for years. Also the backs of the chairs that a person comes in contact with have a cruddy film on them and will stick to you if hot and sweaty.

I've tried a few cleaners with little results. Short of sandpaper, anyone have any ideas on cleaning it up?

Sadly, my weakest area in woodworking is finishing. I admire those who have it mastered.

Thx
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic