Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of paint to use?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
veedub88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veedub88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of paint to use?
    Posted: May-03-2004 at 6:26pm
I have read through the posts and haven't found an answer. I have a 1977 martinique and the paint from the water line down is chipping off- possibly wrong paint type or bad prep job? I have to paint it because there is already a barrier coat on the boat and I'm not going to sand all the way through that for new gelcoat. There are so many different paints (ablatives, epoxys, antifoulings) My boat is trailered many times a summer and its sometimes stays in the water for several weeks. The guy at west marine said to use a copolymer ablative but I don't buy that because it wears away after a couple of years and I want It to last at least 5-10 years. I don't think I need an antifouling paint because the boat isn't in the water extended periods and the water is clean. Would a hard epoxy based paint work like the VC performance at west marine? So does anyone know what kind of paint to use?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2004 at 6:38pm
Most likely what is on it is bottom paint i.e. antifouling paint that will ware off over time. The boat was not bottom painted from the factory so anything that is on there is a best guess and getting something to last for your time frame is slim and none. Unless you leave the boat in the water all season there really isn't a need. Good luck in finding something to your liking.
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2004 at 7:33pm
If you have 'anti-fouling paint ' of any kind on it now, you will have to sand it off for other paints to stick. If you aren't going to use anti fouling, any paint recommended for "use below the waterline" will work. Two part copolymers are long lasting paints too. But preparation of the surface is 90% of the battle.
cisom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 8:52pm
There isn't a bottom paint made that will last 5-10 years. There are "high speed" bottom paints that are not ablative. I believe they are very slick and the speed of the boat scrubs off any marine growth. No matter what you end up doing you're going to have to sand. At least it's not a 30' sailboat hull, that's no fun.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 11:22pm
my opinion only.you can use the best product known to man,but if you apply it over s*#@,thats what you'll end up with.this process can be quite an investment,time and $.if the paint on the hull is chipping off,it's obvious it aint stuck.so whatever you apply over that "barrier" coat wont have a chance. lot's of good products on the market today,and they all claim to be the best.proper surface prep is the key.
kenny g
jschallick View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschallick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 6:51pm
kenny is exactly right. prepping the surface is everything.paint needs a good place to stick and if not prepped correctly it wont. i would smoothe out the surface,finish it out with 220 grit,primer it, finish that with 400 grit, then seal it and paint it with imron paint.hey,if it works for bulldozers and tractors, i think it would work fine for a boat. if not, use ppg concept. it is a single stage urethane, and it worked wonders on my 83 ski nautique.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic