Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'73 Nautique Runs on Trailer - Not in Water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bdp73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdp73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '73 Nautique Runs on Trailer - Not in Water
    Posted: July-10-2013 at 8:40pm
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on CorrectCraftFan.com, but I have been using the site for over a year now; what a wealth of information!

I purchased my 1973 Ski Nautique at the end of the summer last August. It ran alright, but had been sitting in a driveway unused for about a year. In December, I tore the boat apart and replaced all stringers and flooring. I also had the Edelbrock carb rebuilt this spring as well as had the exhaust hose kinks fixed with new stainless steel elbows.

The boat starts every time on a dime while on the trailer hooked up to a hose. Last weekend, we took it out to the lake for the first water run of the season after the overhaul. The boat started and idled around the dock just fine for around 5 minutes. Once the truck was parked, and everyone was on board (3 of us), we made our way past the buoys, I gave it some gas. At first, it went fine, but huffed and puffed, and the motor died. The boat would not start again, and we had to get towed. We finally got the boat on the trailer and out of the water. I turned the key, and the boat fired right up. We then placed the boat in the water on the trailer. It started again, and I placed it in reverse off of the trailer. The boat died again and would not start until out of the water. We tried a third time and got the same results.

The electric choke has full power and is working fine. The prop shaft also spins freely, so I don't think there is an alignment issue.

Any thoughts? It's as almost the boat doesn't like water!

Thanks Again,

Ben
Ben P.
1973 Ski Nautique
Kansas
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:06am
Welcome to the site & congratulations on getting your boat overhauled. I would narrow it down to ignition vs. fuel.   I assume you have the timing set correctly.

Run it on the trailer at the ramp to see if you can get it to act up, use reverse if power loading is frowned upon in your neck of the woods.

Once it acts up, check to see if the coil is hot.   Maybe pull the coil lead & check spark. Also see if the carb has gas (take off arrestor & have someone pump throttle - look for stream of gas in throat).

Good luck, let us know what you find.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:41am
Like Chris says... could be
"A" fuel
"B" Ignition
"C" All of the above (or a combination)

When it dies, .... did you check the carb to make sure it's squirting fuel?
              ..... make sure your dizzy weights are advancing when under acceleration?

.....what do plugs look like? (wet, carboned ,etc)

How old is the fuel in the tank? Have you checked the fuel filter(s? What do you have for gas lines on the boat?

Do you have pics of the engine? (and the rest of the boat? ...we like pictures!)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:06pm
Will it rev up on the trailer/hose when cold? I guess you could be flooding out but sure sounds like another hot coil! Do as the other guys suggested and check for spark and gas. You should be able to hold your hand on the coil.
bdp73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdp73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 2:13pm
Going to try and put her back on the lake tonight after work, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Thanks Guys
Ben P.
1973 Ski Nautique
Kansas
bdp73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdp73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 2:16pm
Sorry, and to awnser your question, it does rev up like nobody's buisness on the trailer when hooked up to the hose. When I put it in and out of gear quickly on the trailer, it runs fine. But, when I put it into gear in the water with the extra strain, it just dies.

I'll check the coil out tonight. It is getting plenty of fuel and spark currently.
Ben P.
1973 Ski Nautique
Kansas
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 2:24pm
also check your dizzy advance weights to make sure they're free.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 2:55pm
Vacuum Leak?

Another test, use a level along the gunnel of the boat running front to back. How does the level in the water compare to the level in the the water? Wondering if it's possible if it's a fuel bowl level issue.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 2:57pm
If it won't run under load I'd have to do some research but still puzzled why it wouldn't start back up. When this happens you must verify spark and fuel before we can go further.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 3:06pm
Post pics of the engine if you can?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 3:13pm
It won't run under a load you need to check your firing order and confirm you haven't crossed a plug wire.

They can run and sound surprisingly good without a load even if a wire is crossed but put a load on it and it will stumble.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 3:58pm
If it didn't have the problem last year and the only thing done on the engine was a carb rebuild, that's what I would suspect.

Unfortunately, it's an Edelbrock. I don't know squat about them. If it was a holley I would say to make sure the timing is set properly and then the idle mixture is set for the highest RPM in gear and idling and then adjust the idle RPM to 650 RPM. I have no idea what the Edelbrock equivalent of those adjustments are.
If it has fuel runnning down the throat of the carb after it shuts down, there might be some float adjustments needed.

Alan has a good point about the plug wires too. I've seen them run pretty good on the trailer or idling and then like crap as soon as you try powering them up. Although my personal experience in that regard is it will generally start missing and/or backfiring as soon as you try powering up. This is just dying instantly. A crossed plug wire wouldn't have any restart issues either. It would normally start right back up again. I guess it entirely depends on what wires are crossed in the firing order and if there is more than one.

I say to look at the carb but somebody who knows Edelbrock carbs would need to chime in.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Vacuum Leak?

Another test, use a level along the gunnel of the boat running front to back. How does the level Edit: on the trailer compare to the level in the the water? Wondering if it's possible if it's a fuel bowl level issue.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 4:50pm
I definitely missed the carb rebuild part. Yes, go back to "what's changed" from when it was running good.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Unfortunately, it's an Edelbrock. I don't know squat about them.

Don't worry Eddie,no one does
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bdp73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdp73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 10:18pm
Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for all of the replies. We found the issue! The wires on the oil pressure gauge were crossed. This caused the boat to ground through the prop with the water. This in turn caused the boat to run fine on land, but never start when in the water. We noticed that the oil pressure gauge was maxed out. When we unplugged the wire off of the oil pressure sensor on top of the motor, the boat started right up in the water.

I went back through the wiring, and now the boat runs like a bandit. We just got back from a long weekend at Table Rock Lake in Missouri. I can barely walk from all of the skiing I did behind the boat.

Thanks again for the help!
Ben P.
1973 Ski Nautique
Kansas
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 10:46pm
A new one for all of us!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 11:29pm
like Chris said.. that's a new one.

GREAT looking boat..now that you got it running, we need to see some more pictures! Does it have black carpet? You know the history? tell us more.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 7:42am
Wow. Great you figured it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic