Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dhunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine idle
    Posted: April-19-2004 at 6:12pm
I have a 1990 ski W/351 4b. The problem I have is after running about an hour, when the boat is brought back to idle the engine sputters and finally dies out. If we can get it started the only way it will keep running is if we go at skiing speeds, otherwise it just dies out. Any help would be appreciated
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2004 at 1:01am
first thing i would do is a tune up new plugs, wires, cap, rotor,check timing maybe run some carb cleaner through it. does a 90 have points if it does i would pull that miserable junk off
and go w a electronic ign. conversion
jon View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2004 at 12:19am
I'm not sure but that sounds like a carb problem. while running at skiing speeds your carb feeds more gas to the engine, but when you slow down or stop the float bowl on your carb fills up with gas and floods the engine. A carb adjustment will fix the problem if that is what is wrong, good luck

sincerely- drowning in gasoline
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2004 at 1:33am
What's wrong with breaker point ignition? Mine works fine, and I might wager my boat can pull your boat backwards.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2004 at 1:06am
Originally posted by 66polyhead 66polyhead wrote:

What's wrong with breaker point ignition? Mine works fine, and I might wager my boat can pull your boat backwards.
ok lets hook em up.
you know why they dont put them on cars and boats since the 80s? depedability ! when i took mine off it cleared up all kind of problems. they are nothing but junk!! why in the f**k wouldnt you want full power going to your spark plugs?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2004 at 2:17pm
Gee!, Didn't mean to get you upset! I'm glad I didn't say magneto's are best. It sounds like if you had that many problems, you should get a new mechanic!
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2004 at 5:15pm
i keep the ol' points and rotor cam as spares in the boat as back up. i'm not much on paddling one in anymore.

back to the point ( no pun ) in question. 'runs for an hour' sounds pretty intersting. as 88 suggested a good general tune up may solve your issues, but then again beauty is only skin deep. there are numerous advantages to electronic pick ups, but you can slap in a set of points to see if that is your problem. a 90 would have the pro-tec system anyway.

your idle circuits may be clogged, but that would not rear it's ugly head after an hour of use. your fuel pump may be sucking on a restiction in your fuel line or tank that is only overcome by reving it up. check your check valve ( or remove it ), filter and fuel pick up.

your coil(s) may be weak and suffering from heat stroke. see if you are getting a nice blue spark at all plugs.

the old 302 had similar issues and it end up being a loose intake manifold. (24 ft pounds) she ran well at start up, but after the motor expanded it would create a vacumme leak.

worst case senario, other possibilities are blown head gaskets and/or cracks in your block and heads ( small ones that open up as the motor warms.) if you are getting a lot of blow by, it will pump air through your pvc valve enough to lean out the motor to the point that it will not run at low rpms.

damn fords.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2004 at 12:49am
66Poly,
You know that carbs are junk too don't you, since they don't put them on cars any more? So I'm yanking my Holleys and Carters off and plopping down a couple grand on some TPI's EFI's.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2004 at 2:38am
pretty big difference in 100.00 for electronic ign and 1800.00 e.f.i but that is why they stoped putting them on cars. why dont you take your car that you drive in traffic everyday and put that holley or carter on it. oh and put points in it too. and when your sitting on the side of the road broke down i can giggle at you.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2004 at 8:38pm
The reason they went to fuel injection and electronic ignition systems is fuel and engine management efficentcy (sp)in other words better gas milage and lower exhaust emissions. They both work just as well. it's not our fault you have trouble getting the old stuff to work as good as the new high tech stuff, and in most cases the old stuff is less likely to break down, fewer parts to go bador have problems with.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2004 at 9:51pm
your right fileing points on the side of the road or river is cool. file on! oh and keep them feeler guages close by! oh yeah no body has answered why dont you want full coil power to your plugs? oh yeah cause its better.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 12:57am
OK, I give.
I must admit, along with most other forum readers I'm sure, that all things equal, starting with a new engine, you'd better believe I'd want electronic ignition. But that's not justification enuf to me to go pull the perfectly working points out of any boat I've got. And to call it junk, well..... Now if you put 100+ hrs/yr on the boat that may be different, but many of us don't. So you simply tune it up every 3 years or so as needed. As for the real reason behind it, 'bc' was on the money, as elec ign WILL NOT make your boat run faster, and I'm not clear on the "full coil power" issue, as with the reg vs prem fuel thing, you only need but so much spark to run a low perf, low rev, low comp engine. To '66' and the stern to stern challenge, that sounds great, but I'll let you and Poly handle that one. However, if anyone wants to kick 'em off in a 0-50, meet me in Sandusky.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 1:14am
I with Mr. P. I'd love to go 0-50, sounds like fun to me. Mr. 882001, I've got a nice long, 3/4" diameter rope, if you can haul that bad, EFI, full power coiled boat, to Sandusky. Dinosaurs Forever! As to answer your question, with a question, Why wouldn't you want a dual point distributor, and a double wound coil? Wouldn't that give you a second post spark to burn all of your fuel, and give you extra power thru your coil?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 9:08pm
Now that was a good point with the dual point distributor, didn't see that coming did ya. If I didn't have to borrow a truck to tow the 79, I would take you up on the 0-50 and tug of war, then again I don't have a stock 351w or points either, and I do live on a lake and use mine 4-5 times a week.
Ken View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2004 at 11:58pm
I have the same problem in my 1986! What did you do to fix it?

gonautique@charter.net
dole View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2004 at 2:01am
So do I anyone on here anymore?
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2004 at 11:16am
I went ahead and ordered all new ignition and electrical parts. This is a cheaper start than replacing the carburetor. I ordered everything from Ron's Marine in Ohio. Hopefully it's only the coil or points. Will post results of my repair this weekend.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2004 at 12:57pm
It was a bad balist resister that caused the problem. Mine was shattered into pieces. It runs great now!
joelh View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 1:55am
Tyran- Pro-tec didn't come out till 91
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 3:29pm
That was a Great thread. like a shark smelling blood in the water. Now thats what i call entertainment. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic