Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'73 Southwind 20' Strut

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RedandWhite73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedandWhite73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '73 Southwind 20' Strut
    Posted: January-28-2013 at 2:43pm
Hey guys,

I am picking up the pieces after a mishap and need to get a strut for a 1973 20' Southwind. The strut says "No. 6" on it. According to a spec sheet that has been floating around I need a 6B, but am not totally sure.

I took the old one to get straightened, but I don't think they did a precise enough job.

Thanks,
Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 2:51pm
Can you post some pictures of your current strut? Ones that show the overall shape, as well as the markings in the castings might prove helpful.

My *guess* is that the early Southwinds can accept the same strut as the v-hulled BFN and Martinique (6A, superceded by 6A6) but we'll need a bit more info to confirm that.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 3:30pm
This is off my 70"ish" Wildcat.

Probably not the right on tho?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 5:46pm
I have one off the 77 Fish Nautique if they are the same as the Southwind. Not quite up to the Parts interchange of pre-80's Nautiques.
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by RedandWhite73 RedandWhite73 wrote:

I took the old one to get straightened, but I don't think they did a precise enough job.
Thanks,
Dan

Dan,
Tell us more on why you feel they didn't get it straight. Did you do any measuring? Did you try any shimming the strut to the hull to align the shaft to the log?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 10:16pm
70-74 20 Southwind looks like a 6DV.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

70-74 20 Southwind looks like a 6DV.

Zach, got a picture of a 6dv?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 12:18pm

S141 so says Correct Craft, Says out of stock but that usually warrents a call to Bruce.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedandWhite73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 3:31pm
It looks very similar to the second strut posted. Take a look at the two pictures I posted and let me know what you guys think. I believe on one side it says "6'. The other side says "No. 6".

I did quite a bit of damage to the strut when i hit the rock pile. The gentleman that straightened it for even agreed that he wasn't able to get it perfectly straight. It appears to have a front-port to rear-starboard yaw. I fixed the fiberglass this fall and need to install the drive shaft, strut, rudder, and prop this spring and really don't want to do it twice because of using damaged parts.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 3:59pm
That sure looks like our 6A. The 6A6 is the same strut, but with an extra inch of the body hanging off the aft end. We replaced the 6A on our BFN with a 6A6, pictured below.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 5:13pm
Timmy, check it out. Had an old 6A on the shelf. You are right they look the same but there must be some difference. 6A is clearely marked on the side. It looks to be a re pour because it has some weird emblem on the opposit side.

The 6A6 looks a little bit taller when I put my eyes level to the 6a and the bolt patterns don't line up. They quit making the 6dv Bruce is supposed to get back with me on the spec differences. The 6A6 might just have more meat on it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

The 6A6 looks a little bit taller when I put my eyes level to the 6a and the bolt patterns don't line up.

Ive done the same comparison as you, 6A vs. 6A6, and come away with the same conclusions. Definitely a slightly different casting- not only does the 6A6 have a longer body (it extends 1" further aft), the bases are slightly different. Bolt holes will vary strut to strut, according to Pete, and this is consistent with the struts Ive replaced in the past. Ive had to oval out a few holes in the boat every time to get the strut-log alignment right. I also believe the flange is a little thicker on the 6A6 vs. 6A, which is probably the difference youre seeing in height. We had to grind a fair amount on the base to get the angle dialed in (you can see in our picture that the flange is slightly thinner on the leading side). Replacing a strut is definitely not a simple bolt on, in any case! Takes a lot of tweaking and test fits. We did successfully put the 6A6 on in place of the original 6A on our BFN, as CC advertises.

It will be interesting to see if the 6DV is compatible with the other 6's. Most other non-interchangeable CC struts have distinct part numbers, so it wouldnt surprise me if the 6A6 would work on an early SW. Especially since thats what the later SW's and BFN's used.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 6:58pm
Maybe we can hook him up with this old 6A I have in the shop cheaper than a new 6A6.

CC quit drilling holes the 154 WB struts because of fitment issues and they ship em blank. Got a couple of weirded out customer phone calls as I was not aware of the struts lacking holes. Personally I would rather drill them my own.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedandWhite73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 8:10pm
Zach,

That would be great. I am capable of drilling the hole to match my setup. How much do you want for the 6A?

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic