NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

283 -"backward" pistons?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 283 -"backward" pistons?
    Posted: December-05-2005 at 11:48pm
Im in the process of getting ready to rebuild a 283 Chevy with a 1:1 Velvet ,to put in one of my old inboards. The motor has a reverse rotation crank.

Ive been told that you should mount the new pistons backwards on the rods(with the notches facing the flywheel... to change the wrist pin offset),as well as having the crank polished while being turned backwards.

Does anyone have any other"secrets"/hints to rebuild a reverse rotation small block?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:02am
Was the motor you are rebuilding a reverse rotation engine to start with? And did the crank and pistons come from a reverse rotation engine as well? If the crankshaft was a counter rotating one and in good condition, there's no need to have it ground. The reason for grinding a crank in the reverse direction is to get the journal surfaces correct so you don't wipe out a bearing. So if it came from a clockwise rotating engine it will need to be ground CCW. On your pistons, I would check with the manufacturer about installation. I believe most pistons produced today do not use any offset on the wrist pin. But check with them to be sure. You are going to need a reverse rotation camshaft (must have). I know of 3 companies that supply reverse marine camshafts. They are: Clevite, Federal Mogul and Compet*tion Cams. Comp Cams has a library on cores and will grind any specs you want into a cam, however they cost the most as well. The only other thing that I know of that you will need is a drive gear for your distributor for reverse direction. This is also a must have. The oil pump and distributor from a CW rotation engine will work as long as you change the drive gear. All other pieces of the engine,... bearings, cam drive chain etc. will be the same. You will need to unbolt and change the indexing of the velvet drive pump if it came from a CW rotating engine. You will need to do this before bolting it to the engine obviously. That's all I can think of. Anyone else want to chime in?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 7:54am
nutty,
I have a "donor" 1968 - 307 "Pacer" conversion marine engine and 71 velvet drive. That block was junk.
Im using a 1967 - 283 from a truck for the long block assemly. I already bought the Clevite marine-reverse rotation cam..(around $100 from NAPA) Im using standard automotive .30 over pistons that DO have offset wrist pins, so correct rod/piston installation is important?

As for the crank, im using the original 283's from the truck. It is standard , and just needs polishing. So hopefully ok to just polish it backwards? (since it doesnt need to be turned?)

I believe the 307 Pacer was a reverse rotation and has most of the other marine stuff, ie....aluminumn marine intake, the cam gear drive to reverse the rotation ,the starter ,distributor,etc.... BTW Im looking for a set of Aluminumn (prefer Edelbrock) exhaust mainfolds with "snail" risers.

Ive built a lot of automotive engines , but this is my 1st marine attempt...I cant find any GM marine engine manuals for this type of application. Someone said to use a Chris Craft manual, but any of those motors Ive seen have flywheel-forward and probably are standard rotaion.
Again thanks for any input!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 8:57am
One thing to keep in mind is piston to bore clearance. Others on this board have learned this the same way I did....the hard way.

Marine engines need a looser piston fit than automotive engines. This is due to the larger temperature swings a marine engine sees due to running cool lake water through the block and piston temperatures being higher due to the higher load factor of a marine engine.

The pistons I used in my 351W called for .0015" minimum clearance in an auto application. My machine shop hadn't done any marine work and didn't know the difference (nor did I) and set the clearance to 0.002-.0025". The engine ran great for 25 hours and then scuffed 2 cylinders.

I had the block rehoned with .0035" to .0045" clearance and the engine ran great for the 50hrs I put on it this season.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 1:56pm
I don't understand about the backwards pistons...up and down is up and down regardless of the crankshaft rotation.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:34pm
If the wrist pin is offset then it will effect the piston travel within the cylinder depending upon which side the offset is. For instance if the wrist pin is centered then it makes no difference and the distance between the centerlines of rotation are the same if it is mounted up or down all you need to keep in mind is valve clearance if the piston dome is notched, (high compression type set-up). Now if you have an offset wrist pin depending upon which side the offset is on, the top of the piston will be slightly higher or lower when compared to a centered wrist pined piston. This happens because you have change the centerline distances between the crank and the wrist pin (centerlines of rotation). Now this can be compensated for by changing the connecting rod length. But you have to look at several other things as well, piston skirt clearance, valve clearance, head clearance, and a list of others. So if the engine is designed and spec'd with a specific offset and rod length you need to use it unless you know what your doing and compenstate for everything, otherwise it's going to take a couple of engine rotations during break-in before it comes apart, sooooo don't stand too close and get hit by the rod as it flys through the block and on the ground.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 5:14pm
Tim D, up and down is not up and down.

On the power stroke of the engine as the piston is moving down and "pushing" on the crank it is also being pushed against the opposite side of the cylinder liner. This is referred to as the "thrust" side of the cylinder. On a reverse rotation engine the thrust side of the cylinder is opposite If the piston is symmetric it doesn't really matter what direction it's put in, but if it's assymetric it does matter. If an offset pin piston is installed backwards it will at a minimum slap excessively and reduce performance (i.e. lower compression ratio as '79 eluded to). This could lead to breaking the piston skirt and then to major engine failure.

In short, if you're using offset pin pistons in a RH engine they'll need to be installed backwards or bad things will happen.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 10:56pm
Thanks for the input so far!
Can anyone tell me ,since my crank is standard and doesnt need to be turned,is it ok just to have it polished backwards? Im using the 283 crank from the original truck motor.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 5:58am
Does the crank have wick lines at the rear seal? If it does, and you turn it RH it will push oil out the rear seal and leak.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 7:24am
I'm not sure if polishing alone would be enough. But you could get .010" oversized bearings and turn the crank down then have the block line honed???? Also Tim brings up a great point because it effects the crank seals as well. So you may have to get a new crank as well.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 8:05am

I am going to use a "reverse direction" oil seal. I will have to check on the wick lines on the crank....thats something I never thought about.

BTW has anyone ever figured out WHY they ever started running motors backwards? It would seem so much easier to just use LH props? It would sure make things easier.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 9:42am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

BTW has anyone ever figured out WHY they ever started running motors backwards? It would seem so much easier to just use LH props? It would sure make things easier.

The experts here have answered that before- the idea was to have to have the rotation of the prop counteract the weight of the driver (rather than exaggerate it). In the newer CC's with the 1.23:1 tranny, the rotation is switched in the transmission- the engine is standard rotation.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 9:45am
Reverse rotation engines used to offset the weight of the driver or to offset the pull of the other engine in twin engine applications.

Now-a-days, it is all done within the tranny, so RH engines are no longer necessary.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 10:58am
David F,
It makes sense in twin engine installations.

TRBenj and David,
Ive heard the torque/driver offset before and it kinda makes sense, however the ironic thing in this case is ,this motor is actaully going in one of my "other" boats (ok I have to admit it, I have something other than just my 64 C C American Skier..but still an inboard! :0 ) Its a wooden 1962 Higgins that happens to have left-side controls..meaning the engine could have run right to offset the driver...go figure.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 11:22am
If the crank is a one piece seal, then the seal has the lines and the crank is smooth and you have to use the marine seal which has lines in opposite direction. If it's a two piece seal, the crank has the lines and the seal is smooth. I know because I bought a $49 (8 years ago) two piece seal and it has the same ford number on it as the $14 from NAPA. If you polish the lines off it will still leak. Been there, done that.
Tim D
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 2:41pm
dont forget that you CAN use a standard rotation engine and switch the direction of the tranny pump.
Thanks Bobby

there's no replacement for displacement
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 4:12pm
Some of the reasons they used reverse rotation years ago in wooden runabouts was they could not get the engine low enough in the boat because the flywheel and/or bell housing would bottom out on the wooden keel. Thus to gain space under the rear of the engine they put the flywheel forward. Also they ran manual reverse gears in them that needed the engine oil to lubricate the gearbox.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 11:17pm
Nate,
The reverse rotation Im talking about is the crank-spin direction.
This boat has the flywheel facing back ,like the 76 nautique I used to have was. The Chris Crafts were always famous for small block Chevy flywheel-forward set-ups. In fact I have one of those motor/trans set ups in the barn. I just couldnt bring myself to using it. I never liked seeing that big -ugly flywheel when you open the engine cover. (plus if you were to start putting some HP into those set-ups,all you had "holding" your tranny was the harmonic balancer key way.)

In fact my 64 Correct Craft american Skier has an inline ford motor- that happens to be a flywheel forward set-up. Its the first Correct Craft Ive seen with that style motor/trans. The flywheel on it is pretty small, making it a little less noticable tho.
So many options....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic