Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
    Posted: July-25-2012 at 1:27am
Hey Guys. Gonna change my exhaust manifold gaskets in a few days on my 88 SN, and wanted to see if y'all had any ideas about how to not break the bolts when removing them out of the manifold, cause I heard that they are very fragile. Sprayed penetrating oil on them today. Any ideas? Thanks
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Jason88SN Jason88SN wrote:

Hey Guys. Gonna change my exhaust manifold gaskets in a few days on my 88 SN, and wanted to see if y'all had any ideas about how to not break the bolts when removing them out of the manifold, cause I heard that they are very fragile. Sprayed penetrating oil on them today. Any ideas? Thanks

Had heard some horror stories that had me a bit worried, but I replaced a gasket on my 74 recently that seemed likely to be original or at least very old, and the bolts came out pretty easy, no problem.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:08am
Thanks for the reply 74. Im hoping that is how it goes. The horror stories I have heard seems like an awful lot of work for 8 dollars in parts.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:11am
Have you tried to turn them?
Also, why are you replacing them, they leak?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:29am
I was gonna let them soak for a few days before I tried to turn them. Yes they do leak. Been noticing more heat than usual inside the motor box, and strting hearing it on Saturday. Upon inspection I found 2 leaks on the port side of the engine.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:38am
Someone else might pipe in a rebuttal, but if it's just the port side leaking I'd replace that gasket only and give it a run first before messing with the starboard side ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it").

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:50am
Well I started to do that, but gonna go ahead and do both sides, cause gonna go ahead and do plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets also. Only had this boat about a month, so kinda doing lots of preventative maintenance.
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:54am
My brother is a master mechanic, so it makes it a little easier for me to do maintenance.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:58am
Sounds good
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Jason88SN Jason88SN wrote:

My brother is a master mechanic, so it makes it a little easier for me to do maintenance.

Jason,
Have your brother do it so if there's a problem, it's his problem!

Really all you can do is soak them and then work them back and forth. Use some decent penetrating oil like Kroil or even better a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. No WD40 or PB - both are junk.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 9:21am
New stainless bolts after the fact are a plus IMO. Also, a stud will help with re-installing.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 12:22am
Thanks Buffalo for the info. You are right about those penetrants. They are crap. I've got some schaeffers penetro 90 on them right now, but gonna put some Kroill on them tomorrow. Gaskets should be here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get those gaskets on in a few days. Thanks for the info.
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 11:35pm
Hey guys. Would you believe that all of the bolts came out easily!! I couldn't believe it!! New manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plug wires, plugs, distributor cap, rotor button, points and condenser, and new fuel filter. I think the tune up is complete. Thanks for yalls input. Oh, and it fired up after only a touch of the ignition, and ran very smoothly.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 12:31am
Told ya. there's a lotta premeditated panic on bolt removal, but sometimes its easy........
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Jason88SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason88SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 12:47am
I think you are right 74. Let them soak for a week, and a couple of good strikes on each bolt head, and they came right out. It runs and sounds 100 percent better too! Since I've had the boat, (2 months) it has never started that easy. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic