Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 GT-40 Intermittent no start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mainer222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mainer222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 GT-40 Intermittent no start
    Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:15pm
Let me preface this by saying I am speaking on behalf of my Dad. I know very little of boat engines but am very comfortable on the internet. My Dad is the opposite. So his 1995 GT-40 will occasionally not start. We hear the fuel system prime when turning the key. The fuel pumps turn on for about 1 sec. But the engine will not turn over. Sometimes turning the key on/off for 3 or 4 times will get the engine started. But that is not a 100% fix. Sometimes just can not get it started. Once started the engine runs fine, so he has ruled out dirty fuel or water in the fuel. He had a mechanic by one day, but they could not get it to fail. The had the diagnostic tool connected and there were no stored error codes or anything like that.

I have spent quite a lot of time on these forums. Currently my Dad is out getting a couple relays to replace the ECA and fuel pump relays. We are really just going on a hunch, since they seem to be a common problem and have never been replaced. Also an in-expensive and easy job.

So I would appreciate any words of wisdom. We are located in Central Maine, so if anbody knows of a local guru who could diagnose over the phone, that would be great also. We are having a house full of people of the next 6 days, and would love to put this headache behind us.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:34pm
Dave, I put together this thread to document all the fixed GT-40 problems. Basically, not to ask the questions, but to document the resolution. See if anything looks familiar, and be sure to look at the Google Docs spreadsheet that is linked within the thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis

Just want to clarify one thing. Are you talking about an engine where the starter motor is cranking, but the engine doesn't start? Or is the starter not even cranking?
Mainer222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mainer222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:44pm
Thanks, I have reviewed the poor man's guide. That is how I kind of narrowed in on the relays. It gets confusing, sometimes a thread seems to be related to my problem, but then it takes a turn, and I am headed down another path.

To clarify, when this happens the starter motor is cranking, but the engine does not start.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:50pm
Have you been able to confirm whether you are getting spark in every instance?
Mainer222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mainer222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:58pm
Yeah, getting a spark every time. My Dad tested that by spraying ether into the air breather and it will start.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 2:08pm
Dave, are you saying that when you spray ether in the intake, it will start and continue to run? OR start and run until the ether runs out? Both scenarios would call for different courses of action.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Mainer222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mainer222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 2:52pm
Jake, one spray of ether with start it, then it will start to die, another spray will keep it running, then it will run on fuel.
Thanks,
Dave
Mainer222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mainer222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 2:57pm
Took a shot and replaced the two relays (fuel and ignition) on the back of the engine. Did not fix the problem.

Dave
Mainer222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mainer222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:00pm
FYI: My Dad is running high octane fuel through, thinking it is a fuel problem. My thoughts are that if it were a fuel problem it would not run that well, but once we get it started she runs perfect.

Dave
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:03pm
I have heard of the fuel pickup tube in the FCC (which holds the HP pump) can crack and cause issues. Have you opened it up to inspect?

My memory could be failing- I dont recall is that was a GT40 or Excal issue (or both).
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 4:13pm
Do you have a fuel pressure tester to check fuel pressure at the rail?

EDIT: From the symptoms, it does not really sound like a lanyard issue.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 4:27pm
As Rob hinted at, sounds like you've got low fuel pressure. (could be caused from a variety of things) A good thing to do would be to test the fuel pressure when it is doing its "thing". It should be about 40psi. You can test this by hooking up a fuel pressure checker to the shrader valve on the front of the starboard fuel rail. Let us know.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 9:06pm
The first thing I would do is take the drain plug out the bottom of the fuel control cell and drain it to see if water is blocking.
Tim D
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 9:42pm
Fuel pressure is the first thing you should check. The ECM does not check for fuel pressure so no codes will be stored. It sure sounds like it is lacking fuel.

Jumper the STO (EEC Test Connector) to make pumps run continually will make measuring fuel pressure easier if it will not start. This was mentioned in AMB's thread on fuel supply problems. Have a good read through that thread. It will give you a good understanding of the fuel supply system.

Have you opened the FCC canister and checked fuel filter and the high pressure pump connecting hose that Tim mentioned ?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic