NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

front oil seal on 454the

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front oil seal on 454the
    Posted: July-20-2012 at 7:12am
Can I use an automotive seal or does it need to be marine its the seal in front with time in chain cover.and I any other advice would help out...Thxs
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:32pm
If it is a righty it is a special seal.Regular automotive seal will gush oil
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:35pm
Pretty sure there is nothing special about the seal or gasket on the timing chain cover.
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 5:17pm
So an automotive seal is ok or not ?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 6:26pm
The fel-Pro front seal I used had wick lines for both rotations.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 2:51am
Buffalo thxs for your advice....1 other ? Whats the best way to install the seal without damaging it. And what silicone is good to use.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by 4woody 4woody wrote:

Buffalo thxs for your advice....1 other ? Whats the best way to install the seal without damaging it. And what silicone is good to use.

The seal should come with the sealant already applied to it's OD. I haven't seen a bare seal in quite some time. The bottom line is no extra sealant is needed.

If the seal doesn't want to go over the step to it's seal surface easily, then a aluminum can can be cut to form a cone shaped "ramp". Make sure you don't have a sharp edge. The cone shape will expand the seal as it's installed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 10:57am
Thanks for all the advice on seal.. feel like I can achieve this and be back on the water soon ..
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 11:45pm
Pete,anyone chime In. i just install my front seal .time nto chsin cover and wa putting the harmonic balancer back on and my bolt would not go back in looks like a pic of my puller mite be lodge in there so this is we're am at how to exact it
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 9:42am
Does that say that a piece of your puller is stuck in the front of your crank?

The crank bolt is no way to get the balancer back on; you'll strip it and then have another can of worms. Either buy an installer or a piece of threaded rod, a couple of washers, and a nut. Only use the crank threads as an anchor.

So what needs extracting? Pic?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 1:55am
Unfortunately I had to go to work and want be home for another week or so.but am lovin orlando, fl
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 2:23am
Nice boat Jody, We live near Fort Worth... if you ever get over this way let me know...
Thanks.......Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic