NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Checking Transmission Fluid Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checking Transmission Fluid Question
    Posted: July-19-2012 at 3:50pm
Quick stupid question. 1981 Ski Nautique. Changing out transmission cooler since old cooler was was rigged up with a plastic plug (old post). When I refill with fluid and recheck once the lines fill back up with fluid, do I check the fluid level with the engine running as you do with a car? I have always checked the fluid in the past when engine not running, but after my buddy asked about that, I am now not sure. Thanks in advance for your help.
woodman935 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodman935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:55pm
The owners manual from my 1984 SN states the following;
Oil level should be checked immediately after stopping engine add sufficient oil to again bring transmission oil level to full mark on the dipstick assembly. Dipstick assembly need not be threaded into case to determine oil level. Merely insert into case until cap or plug rests on surface surrounding oil filler hole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:09am
Eric recommended puting in Fwd & rev when running, fills up the internal cylinders.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:57am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Eric recommended puting in Fwd & rev when running, fills up the internal cylinders.

Chris,
I believe Eric recommended that after a fluid change but not for checking the level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:10pm
I did replace all the transmission fluid I could suck out with a syphon when I replaced the cooler. So am I correct that I should never engage the transmission unless it is in the water? Thanks for your help!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:40pm
The not engaging the transmission while on the trailer thing has more to do with the cutlass bearing.

My owners manual suggested to was similar to Woodman's, but it also gave the option of checking things while it was stone cold, like before you've started the motor for the day.

One trick I used when changing tranny fluid was to get two identical transparent bottles (coke windshield washer fluid etc.) fill one bottle up with the old fluid you've extracted. Then, fill the other bottle with new to the same level. Then pour the new bottle into the tranny with a funnel.

Of course, that only works if you haven't lost any along the way... which would be hard to not do changing the cooler.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:49pm
Hugh,
To get the fluid circulated through the trans, you can put it in gear out of the water. Just get some soapy water on the cutlass bearing and doin't overdo the amount of time running it without keeping the cutlass wet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic