Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford V8 Carb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GrumpyGeoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford V8 Carb
    Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:08pm
Hi boys, the boat has a Holly 4160 carb, a full service kit has been fitted and the floats set to the book specs. The reason this was done was the primary jets were dripping fuel at tick over and after the engine had been switched off and guess what? It still is, the cure has been to lower the float to about a quarter of an inch. In the many topics regarding bad tick over, it says check the float level. What is the level that anybody has used in the past that has worked? Or is the fault not related to levels? Holly carbs are new to me, Webbers, sus etc, no problems.,but this boat of my lads is giving me a head ache.
Its only the primary choke thats giving the problem at the moment, previous posts have been my son's and to be quite honest, couldn't change a bell on a bike!! Forgot to mention, this carb has internal float adjustments not the one with the external adjustment and the level hole in the side. Thanks, Geoff (its only the kids that think i'm grumpy)
....Don't have children, unless you plan to win the lottery anytime soon!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:15pm
If the parts are new and the float level is set properly, and youre still dripping after shut down, then I would suspect a faulty needle and seat. Many new ones have had issues as of late.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:29pm
Thanks for that, but i have swapped the needles and seats for the primary to the secondary, same result!! And the secondary isn't dripping. Having a low level won't be too bad because ther're only doing about 22mph and the secondary is only operating on initial pull out so feul starvation should only occur at a much higher speed, whch they can not afford to do which i £1 40 a litre nearly.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 6:36pm
If you've swapped the needle and seat already, and you still get drippage only on the primary... well, that leaves the Power Valve as something to check, because that exists in the Primary and not the secondary, and it can be a source of leak.

By the way, what do you mean by "Tick Over"?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 7:55pm
That's their way of saying idle Brian. When I was young, 15ish I had a Triumph motorcycle,they told you to wash the filter screens in parrafin, but wouldn't that just clog them up??? .Took me a long time to figure that out,parrafin was another name for kerosene.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That's their way of saying idle Brian.

And I almost called Roger for an interpretation!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 8:10pm
It would be easier if they would just speak English!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 8:13pm
"tick over
vb (intr, adverb)
1. (Engineering / Automotive Engineering) Also idle Brit (of an engine) to run at low speed with the throttle control closed and the transmission disengaged
2. to run smoothly without any major changes"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pdhowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdhowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 12:53am
Geoff, I had the same issues you did and found that my fuel pump was putting out more pressure than the springs on the needles valves could resist. I did everything, bent float tabs,replaced needles and seats etc. The solution was a fuel pressure regulator, get one from 1 to 4 psi, not the high pressure regulators for fuel injected system.

Maybe useful.

Here is a US link, and you would need a local source,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-804/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 6:19am
Good morning, sorry about the language barrier, tick over does equal idle, as i said, i changed the whole kit, power valve, all diaphrams etc, i think do a pressure check on the petrol pump ( gas pump )will be a good thing to do next or as you say, put a low pressure regulator in.
I'll have a go this weekend and let you know how we go on.
   You can get quite a good translation from Top Gear!!! Hood=bonnet, trunk=boot, ( my mum lives in Black Butts Lane) and your navy lads that come over to the submarine yard love to have their photo taken next to the road sign. Thanks again all, let you know
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by pdhowell pdhowell wrote:

Geoff, I had the same issues you did and found that my fuel pump was putting out more pressure than the springs on the needles valves could resist. I did everything, bent float tabs,replaced needles and seats etc. The solution was a fuel pressure regulator, get one from 1 to 4 psi, not the high pressure regulators for fuel injected system.

Maybe useful.

proper link for the convenience of all

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by pdhowell pdhowell wrote:

Maybe useful.

proper link for the convenience of all

Error! the page doesn't exist!!!! i just tried it. It said "404 error. Page doesn't exist"!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:59am
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Proper Link For Pressure Regulator

Joe,
Thanks. I did proof the link and it did come up when I did that. I don't know what happened????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic