Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler replacements in older Nautiques

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pdhowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdhowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler replacements in older Nautiques
    Posted: July-16-2012 at 11:19pm
I realized this is heresy to many, but I am wondering if it is possible to modify or replace my exiting mufflers on my '88 Dominique to make it quieter. I like the throaty roar, but my wife is suggesting that it is too loud at the back of the boat. We do not have any issues with fumes.

The existing fiberglass mufflers seem to be very solid, but I am wondering if these, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=289-3000    or similar would be useful.

Thanks

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 11:41pm
I don't think you will ever get the noise any quieter with that type of muffler. If it could have been done than I think the factory would have gone that route,instead they went with that big "septic tank" and single exhaust. I wonder that if it came to the wife or the boat if you could put on an invertaflow then put on a y adapter so you could connect back up both exhaust outlets. Lets see what others think, what engine do you have? I'm sure there is someone that is going the other way and would have one for sale.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:03am
I know it's heresey on this site,but I have a 'Fresh Air Exhaust'. Clamps onto your outlets & directs the exhaust underwater.

My Daughter was getting headaches when we were idling around & this fixed all that. When I come off plane, it comes out of the water & that growl is cool. Other than that it is very quiet.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:51pm
I know that Tim Benjamin had removed his original invertaflow and made a dual exhaust. Then he later added mufflers. I don't know what he added or what the effect would be over stock. Here is the whole thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6888&PN=1&title=got-pipes

I'd definitely explore the Skidim option before adding an invertaflow or hull hugger. Both would require making it a single.

I've heard of the fresh air exhaust. It works well Chris? That seems like a good option. Easily changed back too I'd think.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 1:57am
[QUOTE=Bri892001]

I'd definitely explore the Skidim option before adding an invertaflow or hull hugger. Both would require making it a single.

QUOTE]

No it wouldn't Brian,you would use a Y adapter,the outlet of the invertaflow connects to the "leg" of the Y,the arms to the outlets.I would do this before I'd have the wife make me get rid of the boat!
But I do like that fresh air exhaust never knew it existed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

[QUOTE=Bri892001]

QUOTE]

No it wouldn't Brian,you would use a Y adapter,the outlet of the invertaflow connects to the "leg" of the Y,the arms to the outlets.I would do this before I'd have the wife make me get rid of the boat!
But I do like that fresh air exhaust never knew it existed.

Ahhh. Good point. Just turn the Y around.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:02am
That septic tank won't fit under the motorbox, so don't bother trying. A hull hugr might work though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:03am
Damn, double post.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:04am
Quit trying to get your post count up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
pdhowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdhowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 9:41am
Good folks,

Thanks for all the inputs. For my purposes, I will probably go with the Fresh Air Exhaust, the underwater exhaust even when the boat is on plane. One appeal is that you could easily remove it if desired.
Special thanks to SNobsessed for this suggestion.

I am amazed at the friendliness, and skills and knowledge of those on this site. Thanks again.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by pdhowell pdhowell wrote:

but my wife is suggesting that it is too loud at the back of the boat.   

Another reason not to get married.

If she was my wife, she would be 'available'.

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 12:48am
Any pics of the fresh air exhaust?
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 1:02am
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 1:06am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Agreed x 10 (1000). We've got a great Bose stereo but no one (particularly my wife) ever wants it on so it rarely gets played.The rumble of a 74 is apparently all we need.......
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 2:48am
The absolute number one reason I bought the boat I did was because of the sound it made.

People have made mention to me how unique "those older Nautiques sound".
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 9:11am

People have made mention to me how unique "those older Nautiques sound".

You must be hearing the comments from a younger group. They should be referring to "older Correct Crafts" or older inboards!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 10:39pm
I'm not so sure...the Master Crafts of my era n(mid-80s) don't sound anything like my Nautique...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 9:07am

I'm not so sure...the Master Crafts of my era n(mid-80s) don't sound anything like my Nautique...

Matt,
Do you have mufflers now? The mid 70's was about when CC started to install the in line mufflers. They do knock down the noise somewhat but certainly not to the point of the newer boats.

You need to get to a antique and clasic boat show. Typically the day of the show at about 4 in the afternoon, each will have the big "start your engines" event for a run on the lake. That in itself is a pretty interesting sound to hear!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 4:36pm
I do have mufflers. For me, they are the perfect blend between quiet and that heavenly V8 rumble.

(Ignore the red circle)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic