Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6V starter for 47 Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6V starter for 47 Correct Craft
    Posted: July-14-2012 at 10:04pm
I have a 1947 Correct Craft with a Pontiac 247 CI engine and a Kermath drive system. I am looking for a starter for this engine. It is a Delco 1107432 6 volt unit. The casting is broken near the gear end of the starter and cannot be repaired. Any thoughts on this issue are welcome.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 10:27pm
Who said it couldn't be repaired? Have you taken it to a "auto electric" shop looking for a replacement casting? It would be the same part as many of the 12 volt units.
We absolutely want pictures of the boat.
Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 10:37pm
I second the pictures request!!! Welcome as well.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 2:28pm
Yes, I have taken it to a starter repair facility, in fact the one that has repbuilt it successfully in the past. But the casting is broken and I am having trouble finding one. It is the casting that houses the starter drive gear. It is stamped 1847427 but none of my references so far can find it. A picture of the boat is below. That handsome guy driving i me..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 2:38pm
Paul,
Nice!!! How long have you had it?

I can't find a listing for a 247 Pontiac. Are you sure that's the block? Who's marinization is it? If it's a Gray, then it's not a Pontiac. Nordberg?

Your profile states your an engineer. Have you considered brazing the broken piece back together? Then all it would take is a rebore and oversize bushing. Are you a member of the ACBS? Typically there is always a member of your local chapter that can source old parts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 5:44pm
I'm the third owner of the boat and have had it for about 25 years. It is a Pontiac block and the marine application was by Kermath. I have rebuild the engine twice, so I'm good with those components and get the from Egge or other vintage auto sources. But the Kermath used the Delcon 1107432 starter, and that is where I am stuck at the moement. I have considered brazing, but it tends to cause fatique beyond the weld. I could have a machine shop make me the part out of steel, but don;t want to go there unless I have to. I have included a picture of the starter here below. If you look closely you can see the crack at the bendix end of the starter. The piece is broken and comes completely off. It is a bearing end and will undergo stress during the start process. Tough thing to weld correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 6:19pm
Ok, it's a Kermath marinaization. You previously only mentioned the trans. It seems odd that you are you sourcing parts from the automotive and not the marine since most marinizers would buy blocks and then add all their stuff. Have you searched out any marine sources?

I still feel a braze is a viable repair. With a proper pre and post heat, you should not have to worry. In fact the heat typically will stress relieve.

If you still want to look for a replacement, the first firm I'd call is Van Ness Engineering

Are you an ACBS member?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 7:20pm
Thanks for the lead on Van Ness. I will call them. And no, I am not a ACBS member. What is that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 7:54pm
I'm surprised that you have had the boat for 25 years, never heard of the ACBS nor have ever been approached by a member. The ACBS is a world wide organization but predominate in the US and Canada. It stands for Antique and Classic Boat Society. The last count I heard there are just under 6000 members.

Wood (and yes old fiberglass) boat shows are, but not all, typically done by each local chapter. None in you area? There should be.

ACBS

Your local chapter: New England

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 8:55pm
Paul, welcome to the site, that is a beautiful and I would think rare boat. Thanks for posting the pics and good luck wiht the repair.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 8:58pm
OK, yes, I have gone to the antique boat show a number of times in my area and have a college friend Bo Muller who restores old woodies in Sunapee NH, but was not aware of the organization and have not joined. Looks like it might help me in some of these areas.

Thanks,

Paul
Fibersport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:08am
That starter looks very much like the one I had on my Chrysler M47-S in my old Century. I don't recall what brand it was but it was 6V, might have been a Prestolite? It might be a shot to look at some other marine engine conversions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 7:02pm
Paul,
You haven't been on since the 16th. What's going on with the starter? Was Van Ness able to help?

As a courtesy, I as well as some others may want to get an update on what you decided to do.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SeaSkiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSkiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 8:35pm
Two other sources for vintage starter repair Are:
Ace Alternator and Starter Exchange - Glen Cheney
www.acealternatorstarter.com/ Glen has done hundreds of REALLY vintage starters and generators for us in ACBS. Did both units for my Kermath Seajeep and the generator for a 1948 Correct Craft (Chrysler Crown M27) that we are restoring. Our project looks exactly like this one but a year later. Glen might have some cores of that model starter.

The other is Mike Murley at Murley Marine in Ira Michigan.
Murley's Marine in IRA, MI 48023 - (586) 725-7446
This fellow has got everything for old vintage Motors.
Cheers ! !
Good Luck!
Paul   
Cheers!! Keep the tools sharp!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 9:02pm
Paul,
Thanks for the contacts but on this one we may never hear back fro Paul and his starter problem. We do run into the issue from time to time and we are just left hanging without an answer. I almost went into shock when Paul asked what the ACBS was!!!!

OK, when are we going to see some of your pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 2:52am
Hi Folks,
     Sorry, I've been busy. So I have struck out so far with a replacement starter. But I will call Glen and Mike, thanks for the leads Paul. I had the old casting tig welded and replaced the starter drive mechanism. It's working for now, but not good. It still cranks VERY SLOWLY when the engine is hot. So it's a bandaid for now so I can play with the boat (and take the kids water skiing). But its just a temporary fix. I'm also wondering about the charging system. It is reading positive current on the amp meter above about 1200 RPM, but it seems to come back to zero after a few minutes. Does one of you know how to increase the output of the voltage regulator (really a current regulator I believe)?

Paul
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 9:19am
Paul,
Thanks for filling us in.
The typical set up on a 6 volt is a simple 3rd pole relay cut out. If the battery is fully charged, it will cut the generator out of the system. Getting some voltage readings at the battery as well as doing a load test on it would be helpful. You do NOT want to mess with the relay until you know for sure there is a problem.

As mentioned in my PM regarding the slow crank, check the timing and the condition of all your cables and their terminals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 4:32pm
Thanks Pete. The battery cables are good (and huge) and the terminals are new. The battery is only a year old, is reading 6 volts and has been load tested with positive results. But I would like the regulator to cut out later than it does not. Need to leave it in the loop a little longer I think. The regulator is 20 years old, so I'm going to mess with it a bit and see if I can 'encourage' it to stay in the loop a little longer.

Paul
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by paulbemis paulbemis wrote:

OK, yes, I have gone to the antique boat show a number of times in my area...

Paul, I guess you are referring to the biannual show at the NHABM in Wolfeboro, just an hour up the road from you. I therefore assume you are aware of the Vintage Race Boat Shopthere and maybe even Bill John the owner. If, not, you might give them a call. I bet they migth be able to help you out.

paulbemis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbemis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 1:52am
Yes, thanks. I do not know Bill John, but am aware of the NHABM. I have never been there, but plan to go. The minor adjustments to the regulator seem to be helping the restart issue. The starter drive is still engaging by itself but I suspect the armature is damaged a bit. But it is working good enough to get through the season and will continue the search over the winter. Thanks to all for your help.

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic