Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Almost Sank - Shaft broke off

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PersonalSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PersonalSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost Sank - Shaft broke off
    Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:45am
I just purchased a 1973 Mustang 2 weeks ago - my dream boat since I was a teenager. I have put 10 hours on it since purchased two weekds ago - everything checked out before puchasing except the floor and stringers which I have been told are safe to use for the summer and I plan on paying someone to do for me this winter.

I am one of the few female CC owners on this site (it looks like from the posts) and not a mechanic but here is the story... I was out on Suttons Bay - Lake Michigan two days ago and the prop shaft broke off from the cupling. I was taking on a lot of water which the bilge could not keep up with (nor my friend bailing with her wine glass.) I swam the boat a 1/4 mile to shallow water and finally realized I could plug the hole with a towel and my hand - luckily the bilge then caught up. Very scary situation. The water did not even come close to the floor so hopefully there is not engine issues.

So after watching the video posted on this site on alignment and some other posts it looks like the issue might be related or be a symptom of the stringers being bad, the strut bent, a number of things. I would like to find out why that happened and make sure it doesn't happen again. My marine mechanic is saying about $650 to replace the shaft, cupling, hammer out my prop - since that hit my rutter - and installation - but I don't want to have this done and have it happen again.

I plan to ask about alignment, the strut being bent, the engine mounts being secure, the stringers being the problem and the cutlas bearings - anything else I should be talking about?

Thanks!
I'll try and figure out how to post a pic of my new baby - new to the site.
1973 Mustang
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 6:23am
Welcome, and glad you made it without things getting worse, stuff just happens with boats and you gotta just roll with it.

Post some pics of the boat and you will get lots of help.
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 10:23am
Michelle,
Welcome to CCfan and CC ownership. I'm sorry to hear about your mishap. At least you and your friend made it though safely.

You said the boat was checked out before the purchase. Who did it? if it was your mechanic, then I have to seriously suggest seeking out another mechanic. The alignment should have been checked if not during the pre purchase check, at least before the boat went in the water. Yes, the shaft breaking at the coupling is a classic result of misalignment. Typically with a misalignment you will also see a black smut at the shaft where it enters the coupling. This is caused by fretting of the shaft inside the coupling bore.

The $650 sounds very reasonable for the repair as long as care is taken to do a proper alignment. Yes, the condition may be caused by bad stringers but the bent strut needs addressing too. When he puts in the new shaft and coupling, I highly recommend the ARE shaft system. This is a double taper shaft so the front is also a taper into the coupling. It's a very easy system to R&R compared to the straight shaft. If he just wants to use the straight shaft then I recommend a new coupling that is fit to the shaft by the manufacturer. It's a heat shrink (.000" to -.0005") fit. The old coupling especially if it's been fretted may not fit the new shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PersonalSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 10:49am
He is planning on putting in a new coupling too. Thanks so much for the info - I am on my way to see him this morning. Really appreciate the quick response.

I will let you know what happens and get some pictures posted.
1973 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:23pm
Michelle,
Make sure you keep us informed as to what he's up to with the repair. You never answered my question on who did the inspection but if it was this mechanic putting the new shaft in, I would not trust him. As mentioned, the inspection should have included an alignment check. If a seller doesn't want anything taken apart that's his choice but then as mentioned an alignment check should have been done post sale.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PersonalSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 7:47pm
So I went in and saw the shaft today - it was so far out of alignment that the shaft actually had a bur forming on one side from the friction and was cutting in to one side. It just broke in half. That is a big piece of metal to break! We looked around in the boat and he said that the strut looks ok and the shaft should be ok to replace without doing the stringers for the summer. Prop can also be made new for $100. He has seen stringers in much worse shape than mine. It has always been stored inside.

I have another mechanic fixing it. He's an older guy that's been working on boats for 30+ years in the county. I think he's pretty good. I have to trust someone. He did say that the alignment has to be .003 or better without me saying anything - so that's a good sign. He also talked about having to possible move the engine around a little to get it into alignment.

He orders shafts directly from a company with the coupling already heat treated and attached. (not sure what company) They are tapered only on the coupling end. He also fixes a lot of big charter boats and gets his shafts from this company.

I am really disappointed that the other mechanic didn't check the alignment - I didn't even know to specifically ask about it until this happened. My novice research can see that it is 101 on checking out an inboard boat. If found it wouldn't have prevented me from buying the boat but it definately would have given me something more to work with in negotiating a price with the seller. Oh well - I am learning at my own expense. Don't think there is much I can do about the other mechanic's incomplete check now. My husband and I own another cruiser we keep on the great lakes so we know the ups and downs of boat ownership - just didn't expect it to happen so soon to my "personal space."

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your input - I really appreciate it!

1973 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 8:13pm
Michelle,
It sounds like the boat is now in better hands.

Yes, the engine needs to be moved. That's how you align it to the prop shaft.

The coupling actually isn't heat treated. A heat shrink fit is when you heat one part to make it expand (in this case the coupling half) and then it's slipped over the mating part. When it cools, it shrinks creating a very tight fit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PersonalSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 8:18pm
Ok - I knew it had something to do with heat. :)

I have been trying to figure out how to post pics - set up a diary page that isn't published yet. I'll work on it in the next couple of days when I have some more pics to add too. I have to get back outside - it's too nice!

thanks again!
1973 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 8:30pm
Michelle,
Well, we have thunder storms moving through here so obviously I'm inside!

For pictures, use the "post reply" and not the "quick reply". At the top you'll see an icon of a tree with an up arrow. Clicking it will bring up a browse window allowing you to pick anything out of your computer. Pictures may need to be downsized. 800x600 fits the sites screen size very well. Some like myself use a on line photo site like photobucket.com It's convenient since on it I have my profile set to automatically size any picture I load into it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PersonalSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 2:19am
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PersonalSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 2:24am
1973 Mustang
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 4:14am
Beautiful boat - and some good-looking children there too. Congrats! I'm sure they love going for a boat ride. In a few years they will be wake boarding pros.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 9:09am
Nice Mustang.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 11:38am
Interior looks to be in great shape.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 12:09pm
Beautiful boat in great shape. Nice red interior. Takes after our 65 Ford Mustang lol
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 1:36pm
Nice boat Michelle!
Welcome to the site!
83Ski
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 2:09pm
Great looking boat. Many happy days on the water.
Welcome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PersonalSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 2:38pm
Thanks everyone! Love my boat - becoming addicted to this site and forum!
1973 Mustang
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 1:51pm
Make sure your mechanic replaces the cutless bearing/bushing in the strut if it needs it too.

Also may be a good time to replace the log packing if need be.

That is a beautiful boat!

EDIT: And maybe a safety collar on the shaft between the coupler and log to keep the prop from hitting the rudder if you ever have a shaft separation again.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 5:56pm
You know I have been wanting to put a safety collar on my Mustang to prevent something like this from happening but I don't believe there's enough room between the coupling and stuffing box. Has anyone done this on a 60's Mustang? Don't know if the 70 era has more room.

Here's and old pic I have showing it.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

You know I have been wanting to put a safety collar on my Mustang to prevent something like this from happening but I don't believe there's enough room between the coupling and stuffing box. Has anyone done this on a 60's Mustang? Don't know if the 70 era has more room.

Put one on the shaft in front of the strut... that's how the boat racers do it!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Put one on the shaft in front of the strut... that's how the boat racers do it!

Would that not affect the hydrodynamics or cause vibrations?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 6:25pm
David,
Unless the prop is real close to the rudder (I don't think it is on your Mustang) I wouldn't worry about the shaft breaking and sliding back since the coupling is so close to the packing gland. However, the other issue could be if the shaft came out of the coupling. I have seen it happen but usually you have plenty of warning.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 9:28pm
http://www.performanceboats.com/v-drives/94403-prop-shaft-safety-collar.html

Interesting link about safety collars on v-drive inboard go-fast boats.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 10:49pm
what about a prop just falling off??? yeah seems crazy but it happened to us on my uncles boat!!! no clue how it happened but it did.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

what about a prop just falling off??? yeah seems crazy but it happened to us on my uncles boat!!! no clue how it happened but it did.

That's very simple to answer. He didn't install the prop properly!

Proper prop installation

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 12:08am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

That's very simple to answer. He didn't install the prop properly!

Proper prop installation

No. CC didnt! it was the original prop. Its the families custom ordered 1987 Martinique B/R. We were on plane just coming off and we felt some vibration. So we stopped. I was there with my dad his brother(his boat), and other uncle. We stopped to look at the shaft and I was driving. I put it in gear and nothing happened. My uncle noticed that the shaft was spinning! So my dad went under the boat and sure enough, threads and nothin else! luckily we were close to Newbury and got towed in. (by an i/o

the boat has over 1200 hours tho
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 12:06pm
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to CCfan... as you've already experienced, there's a lot of knowledge here (and Pete is a legend here ).
Truly a beautiful boat with a great interior... Love the colors!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic