NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gary and John - phone question.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gary and John - phone question.
    Posted: June-26-2012 at 7:52pm
Gary and John,
Saturday our alarm at the plant took a major hit that blew the mother board. Our alarm guy who has been around for many years feels it came off our line 2 copper pair. He was telling me of a practice that the phone company uses to "zap" the lines. The way he described it sounded to me like it was "meggering" or at least a high voltage method of "clearing a line". Is there a practice like this??? We have been having issues at the plant for about a week previous so AT&T has been around quite a bit. The AT&T tech showed up today and it was funny that he tested the #2 line and it was good. Maybe the repair was done before he showed up!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 9:27pm
I assume it's a 5 CSNC and for a fire alarm? All it is is a dry pair from you to the telephone CO then connected to a cable pair that goes to the PD. Your equiptment puts approx 22 volts on the pair and is monitored at a central dispatch.Some PD's monitor their own, others in more dense areas pooled together and have their own dispatch centers. Years ago you could hit a line with "coin return" which is what was used as the name says to return your money in a pay phone. It would reverse the current and increase the voltage. You could dry out a pair and get it to work but you were not fixxing the problem. We havn't had that function since pay phones were sold off years ago and the new ones use a different system.The way you would access this system is by the telephone number. A CSNC has a different identifier on it and could not be interupted remotely because all we supplied is a pair. On a dry line like yours there is no telephone company equiptment connected to your pair so there is no way you could even put coin return on it even if it was still available.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 2:03am
     John is out of touch this week Pete....work camp with the kids and no phones or CCF!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
famer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 2:57am
In response, Marvin, EIB, Ma Ying-jeou of the ruling and opposition parties battles Taiwan caught idling insights agree wholeheartedly with the emphasis on re-engineering to enhance the "power" by the ruling and opposition parties beats by dre australia to work together to achieve, it should be the common direction of the Taiwan people. Lack of awareness on the issue of the administrative department of crisis, Ma Ying-jeou said that the rapid changes of the international community, Taiwan must be ready should be adjusted, in particular, must assess the situation of the government units, Ma Ying-jeou hopes beats by dre all public officials can have this knowledge, a proactive approach to break the parochialism the myth that the civil service, find a way to "State" as the supreme principle.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 3:29am
Originally posted by AirTique98 AirTique98 wrote:

John is out of touch this week Pete....work camp with the kids and no phones or CCF!!

Hi Bill good to see your keeping an eye on us. Maybe he can't talk to Pete but he must have sneaked away and called me to tell me about Pete's post. He reminded me about a test set we used to work on lead cable, we called it a breakdown here but John called it a hotbox. Basically you would strap a pair at one end go to the other end and set it up.Where the pair was damaged or wet it would actually weld the pairs together.Then you could get an approx footage to the weld. You would then use the tone function and then using a "shoe" which looked alot like a depth finder transducer which would mount on a layup stick so you could stand on the ground,you would walk along listening for where your tone stopped. The last time we needed one,it took most of the day to track one down and when they did no one had the special battries for it either.There used to be one on every repair truck and were only supposed to be used on lead. I hear Uverse will not work on lead so it has been being replaced anyway. Rockford has ALOT of lead cable and not a single dime has been spent there for uverse. I do remember one being used on a pop machine that would always steel your money we got a new machine after that.

PS Pete if your talking about a regular phone line and are using a dial up alarm for ie breakins my 1st post would the correct reply. Either way what alarm guy said is not really used anymore,sort of like an old mechanical switch co vs a digital switch co,sure they are out there but not here in the "big city"
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 9:05am
Gary,
All our alarm lines are "pots". This problem is at work and not related to my Uverse at home.

We are back up and running with the new mother board as well as 300' of new 2 pair aux. power cable to all the key pads. He found a direct short on the aux. power about 200' back from the control. There was no indication of the short caused by abrasion. The insulation on the pair was just blown out and the twisted was just fused together???? We sure took a "hit" but will never know where it came from. The #2 pots fault was just an indicator. I just always suspect A bell system "tech" doing something he shouldn't be doing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic