Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jmsmx4677 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmsmx4677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark??
    Posted: June-21-2012 at 11:17am
Ok, I am at my witts end with my boat. About a month ago, I went to start my boat, and the starter "stuck". I killed the key, nothing. Killed the ignition, nothing. Finally I had to rip the negative off of the actual batter to make it stop. Solenoid, right?
To make a long story short, I have replaced the starter and the starter solenoid but now I have another issue, no spark.
I have replaced the cap&rotor, changed points, condenser, new coil, and a new ballast resister. Still nothing.
If anyone has ANY insight for me, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 11:27am
If the starter stuck, youre probably right- its because the relay welded itself together. That normally doesnt happen out of the blue though- its usually caused by a low voltage condition. Most commonly a battery low on charge, or dirty connections. Hopefully you dont have a deep cycle (marine) battery. If so, replace it with a proper starting one.

On the spark issue, you'll need to start doing some basic troubleshooting. Work your way back from the plugs. If no spark there, check to see if you have spark at the points. If not, check for +12v at the + side of the coil.

It sounds like you may have goofed something up with your tuneup.
jmsmx4677 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmsmx4677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 11:35am
The battery probably was low on charge and did have dirty connections. I have replaced the connections and the battery is NOT a deep cycle battery.
I know that there is no spark at the plugs or the points, but have not checked the + side of the coil. I shall start there...
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 11:44am
Matt,
Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures?

As Tim mentioned, troubleshooting can and will prevent you from just throwing in parts. Hopefully you have a volt meter of some sort. They will, do come in handy and just not for the boat.

How did you set the point set? For the initial a feeler guage will get it roughed in but then a dwell meter from there is best. Keep in mind it's when the point set opens is when you get the spark out of the coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jmsmx4677 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmsmx4677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 11:48am
Thank you, I will get some pictures up shortly.
I am doing this with the help of a local Nautique mechanic(should have mentioned this), so he did 90% of the troubleshooting. We do have a volt meter but as far as setting the points, he just used a feeler gauge. We worked on this until 2:30 this morning and pretty much gave up. I will get some more information when he calls me.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 12:22pm
Matt,
I see you put a new starter on the engine. Is it the proper rotation for the engine?

What engine and model boat is this?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jmsmx4677 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmsmx4677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 12:46pm
It is an 89 SN2001, 351. And yes, it is the correct rotation
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic