Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 engine miss

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skibums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 engine miss
    Posted: June-09-2012 at 8:01pm
Our 1986 Ski Nautique 351 has an engine miss at idle and high speeds.
Last year it was running great at the end of the season. Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser were all new last season.

Out of the garage this year, it has a significant miss and lack of power. So far this year I have replaced the points and condenser, fuel pump, and fuel/water separator. Plus I pulled the carb and cleaned the jets. The only thing noticable is two plugs are fouled, the rest look clean.

Any ideas? Thinking of running compression check on the 2 cylinders with fouled plugs?

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:31am
sounds like 2 plug wires crossed. Could happen during winterization. Check your firing order.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skibums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 4:37pm
Thanks SNobessed. Wasn't the plugs. Bought a new set this morning and double checked the wires. It actually seems worse with the new plugs. It will hardly stay running. I'm running out of ideas and parts to throw at it.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by skibums skibums wrote:

Thanks SNobessed. Wasn't the plugs. Bought a new set this morning and double checked the wires. It actually seems worse with the new plugs. It will hardly stay running. I'm running out of ideas and parts to throw at it.

Plug gap? firing order confirmed? Dwell and timing confirmed? Point set or converted to one of the Electronic?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skibums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 12:27am
Still has points - tried a new set along with condenser - although admittedly didn't set the actual dwell. I need to figure out the firing order. I switched the wires to the 2 plugs that were fouled, but that didn't help. I cannot locate my manual. How can I find out the order? I need to check the gaps as well. But it ran great last year.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:27am
I'm sure someone here will quickly tell you the firing order, but it also should be stamped on the block somewhere.

You really need to set timing and dwell to troubleshoot it properly. Remember that a dwell adjust will change timing, so once you have dwell set do a final re-time.

The fact that it ran great last year, and 2 plugs are fouled, really points to crossed wires, and maybe more than just 2. As for a compression test it's so unlikely that 2 cylinders failed at the same time that I'd hold off on that. Once you confirm firing order you can pull plugs, re-connect to plug wires, and confirm you have a strong spark on each.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 12:18pm

Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser were all new last season.

So far this year I have replaced the points and condenser, fuel pump, and fuel/water separator. Plus I pulled the carb and cleaned the jets. The only thing noticable is two plugs are fouled, the rest look clean.

If you pulled it out this year and it had the miss without touching anything....You didn't touch anything right??? Then the plug wires, firing order and all that other stuff is fine. Are the two fouled plugs consecutive in the firing order? I wouldn't rule out a cracked cap. Exactly the same thing happened to me one year after I took it out of storage.
I needed a magnifying glass to finally find it but it was there (I know I checked that damn thing at least a half dozen times beforehand too). Drove me nuts for a long time before finding it.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
skibums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 12:55am
Okay, I checked the firing order - it is correct. Set the dwell to .017. I do not see any cracks in the distributor cap, the wires look fine (checked ohms and they seem consistent). But now it won't start - no spark at the plugs. Could it be the coil? 12 volts going to both coil and points. I have not found the gap setting yet, but they were fine last year.

I'm thinking of replacing the wires, distributor cap, rotor, and possibly coil. Not much else to throw at it.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 1:52am
Looking at your 1st post you've already thrown a lot of parts at it. No need to replace all of them again.

No spark at any plug just means you have to look upstream for the problem. You're right to suspect the coil, I'd guess that's the problem unless your cap is absolute junk.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 2:50am
Set the dwell to .017 - Since it does not run at all now I'm wondering if you set the points on the low point of the cam rather than the high point
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 3:07am
Was the distributor loosened at any point? Sounds like timing....
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 3:33am
Good point Gary.

Mark, if he's getting no spark at plugs at all it's not just timing, they should spark regardless of distributor position.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 9:01am
Try cleaning up the contact surface of the point set. Pulling some 600 grit paper through it should do it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:33pm
I am guessing the back two plugs were fouled looking, Did you run it long enough to clear up the old fuel? Had that problem on an old truck that had been sitting for a bit.

But now it seems like you have other problems.
I would think about starting over getting eveything back like it was and see what happens.
Mike
Lakedog55
skibums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 9:58am
I've gone from bad to worse... Now, I do not have any spark to any plugs. There is 12 volts going to and from the solonoid, but only 6 volts reaching the coil. Not sure if this is correct.

I tried new fuel pumped directly into fuel pump. It isn't fuel. I've inspected the distributor cap and it is clean. It was new last year and worked great. The vent on distributor is clean. The distributor has not been moved. Tried two sets of points and two condensers.

It was running with a miss when this all started. Now it won't pop.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 11:07am

I've gone from bad to worse... Now, I do not have any spark to any plugs. There is 12 volts going to and from the solonoid, but only 6 volts reaching the coil. Not sure if this is correct.

This could be normal, because the voltage at the coil has gone through the ballast resister. It intentionally knocks the voltage down.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 12:30pm
volts getting to six is what you want anymore and the points will fry, if you were to leave the key on.Boats do some weird stuff, after mine sits for a week the back or front bowls start dumping fuel. I have tried a lot of different things. I am begining to thank the fuel pump is some how loading up with fuel after it sits then puts out to much pressure. Anyway good luck? If you get to tired of messing with it throw one of the new coils that do not need the ballast resistor and a electronic conversion in it, set the gap on your plugs a little bigger and timing around 10 and see what happens.
Mike
Lakedog55
skibums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 7:15pm
Here's the update - have taken the boat to our local marine shop. He replace the distributor cap and rotor. Still no fire to the plugs. He is suggesting that the timing chain/dizzy may be stripped? BUT he cannot loosen the distributor to check timing. He is stating that this is common in the Ford marine engines and said he will try heating it to get it to turn. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

A quick synopsis: Tuned boat up last year (plugs, wires, distributor cap, points, condenser). Winterized as usual. This spring, had a strong miss. two plugs were blackend. So far this year I've cleaned carb, replaced points and condensor, replaced ballast resister, checked firing order, set gap on plugs, checked gap on points (don't have dwell meter), disconnected tach. The firing has consistently gotten worse. Now the points won't fire at all. Any ideas?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 7:18pm
the gear on dizzy is stripped? Not sure what he thinks is stripped but if it was something with the timing gear it would end in a catastrophic failure, valves hitting pistons, crash clang boom. You should be able to tell if there is a problem with the dizzy gear by taking the cap off and checking slop/endplay. I guess I dont get what he thinks is stripped and why?
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 8:03pm
hmmmmm. well i was gonna suggest dist cap but that has already been discussed. and as lakedog said boats do weird things. my dads friend replace the cap, coil, and points last year and he accidentally ran out of gas. when he got gas again the boat ran like crap! when we unplugged cyl 7 it ran good. turns out the distributor cap had the tiniest crack at cyl 7. dont know how running out of gas made it act up tho.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
skibums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 9:56pm
He said it could slip? Not sure, but he said he couldn't check or set the timing without turning the dizzy, which won't move. I suppose there is nothing else left to check? There is current running into the dizzy but nothing to the plugs.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 10:54pm
whether the dizzy turns or not, you should be getting fire at the plugs.    There may be a problem with your timing that keeps the boat from running well, but timing will not affect the spark getting to the plug, just when it gets there.   Yes, it may be perplexing, but I hate seeing a professional stumble around on your dime.   checking timing woudl be several steps down the road. now is time to figure out why you are not getting fire at the plugs. check the "pill" on your cap?   if there is current at the coil, you should get spark.   check there and follow the leads (like water)... if there is spark from the coil to the cap, but it isn't transferring to the other leads, it's only a couple of things :
1 - cap is bad, and is arcing internally
2 - rotor is not transfering spark from center "pill" to each spark wire lead
3 - *rotor* is not turning.   if this is the case, you will need to get it loose, and find out why.
4- points are not set correctly
5- condenser is bad, but generally this won't affect your spark issues, just makes your points burn out quickly.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 10:58pm
PS, your mechanic can check the timing with out turning the distributor body, he needs to set the crank to the apropriate setting, then open the distributor cap and check to see that the rotor is pointing to the approximate position of the number 1 plug wire inside the cap... something doesn't smell right with your mechanic.   these are basic troubleshooting items....
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 11:06pm
If the dizzy won't turn, maybe corrosion is preventing grounding.

Try grounding it with a wire for a test.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:51am

Here's the update - have taken the boat to our local marine shop. He replace the distributor cap and rotor. Still no fire to the plugs. He is suggesting that the timing chain/dizzy may be stripped? BUT he cannot loosen the distributor to check timing. He is stating that this is common in the Ford marine engines and said he will try heating it to get it to turn. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Any ideas?

Nike, Adidas, Puma...

I started to go through the whole thing, but-

You had it running, so the rotor is turning, right? It's not supposed to turn with the engine off.

To check the timing(right, not yet), you only need to be running.

Etc...

This is electrical I think for now.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic