Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

commander exhaust manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jetguy468 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetguy468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: commander exhaust manifold
    Posted: June-08-2012 at 7:33pm
i have a '78 ski nautique and my r.h. aluminum exhaust manifold (log style) developed an internal crack between the water and exhaust chambers allowing water to get into my oil. i have not been able to find a new or used replacement this style. so i have figured out that i will have to buy new (non log style) manifolds. what brands are recommended and that will still fit under my original engine cover????
78 ski nautique
73 glencoe 21' jet
94 nitro 115 merc
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 7:43pm
Kale,
Welcome to CCfan. Our normal question is we need picture!!

If you do not find a set of manifolds, the other option is a repair. It's done all the time with obsolete aluminum and CI manifolds. The outside wall is cut open reveling the inner wall that's cracked. The repair is made and the outer wall is welded back in. If you decide to pursue this and can'd find a welding shop that will (or do it yourself), I have a name of a shop that will. I hear nothing but good reports from fellow ACBS members.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kale,
Welcome to CCfan. Our normal question is we need picture!!

If you do not find a set of manifolds, the other option is a repair. It's done all the time with obsolete aluminum and CI manifolds. The outside wall is cut open reveling the inner wall that's cracked. The repair is made and the outer wall is welded back in. If you decide to pursue this and can'd find a welding shop that will (or do it yourself), I have a name of a shop that will. I hear nothing but good reports from fellow ACBS members.

I like pete's idea. I had a crack in an also unobtainable log-style and repaired, although mine was a simpler outside crack. I'd researched replacing with pyramid-style but seemed kind of like re-inventing the wheel; and with extended risers and all the necessary doo-dads it added up to far more than I'd wanna spend.

I was told by one vendor that pyramids would go no higher than the spark arrestor so would fit in the doghouse, but can't confirm thats actually true.
jetguy468 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetguy468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 8:03pm
thanks for the info. i will look for someone that can weld aluminum in my area
78 ski nautique
73 glencoe 21' jet
94 nitro 115 merc
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by jetguy468 jetguy468 wrote:

thanks for the info. i will look for someone that can weld aluminum in my area

like pete said, let's see some pictures, also of the glencoe (cool boat)
jetguy468 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetguy468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 8:18pm
o.k. i will post some pics soon!
78 ski nautique
73 glencoe 21' jet
94 nitro 115 merc
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 8:54pm
Kale,
If you do decide on a repair, make sure you and the welder look for erosion opposite the exhaust ports. With any aluminum manifold this too can be a problem. If for any reason the manifold looses the water cooling, the hot exhaust gases will burn the wall out too.

Do you know there is a crack? Did you pressure check them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic