NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rechroming

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rechroming
    Posted: October-11-2005 at 11:27am
The air scoops on our 69 Ski Nautique are pitted. I've tried steel wool and cleaners but it doesn't touch the pitting. Has anyone had experience with any shops that replate?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 12:58pm
Have you tried a rust remover for chrome? The stuff works awesome.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 6:57pm
Hey Woody,
No I haven't tried a rust remover. Any brand names that you know of or have had experience with? Where to find?
Thanks
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 10:23pm
Most of the scoops/ clamshells are available check the west marine or perko sites, many of them are very reasonable (much less than replating)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2005 at 9:46am
I have a few parts I'm looking to get replated and found these guys on the web. They quoted $35+ each to redo my speedo bezels. Not sure if I'm going to do it yet, just looking for options.

here's the link
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2005 at 2:39pm
The problem with buying new is that it doesnt always look "original".

As for polishing pitted chrome, Ive never had any luck making it look new.

Along with my 64 American Skier,Im also restoring a 1962 wooden Higgins. Most of the time you dont have any choice with it but to rechrome. Ive had a lot of boat hardware re-chromed ...always been happy with the results...just ,make sure to see some of their work first to check out the quality.
Good Luck!!!!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic