NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whaler Information-Updated Pics

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whaler Information-Updated Pics
    Posted: April-20-2012 at 1:51pm
Headed to pick up a Boston Whaler tonight for a family friend who would like me to clean it up and try and find a buyer. She dropped it off with a dealer last spring in hopes that they could sell it, but no luck to this point.

I know nothing about Whalers and very little about this specific boat. I believe it to be a 16' model but again I'm not 100% sure and no idea what year.

Can anyone provide some basic information about Whalers, their construction, problems etc? I've gathered they may have some trouble with soaked foam? Any other information would be very helpful and much appreciated.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 5:30pm
Hmmm, what model? I believe there could be a couple different families for a 16 foot to be in. There is the Sport, which is the entry level, Dauntless, Montauk. The most popular ones are either center console or side center console.

Their was one made that looked like kind of a Glastron GT150 type of boat, with the hull of one of their other models but a closed in deck. Those are very rare and I'd think would have some value.

They made some kind of odd duck ones in the larger sizes too. The ones that look like more traditional bow riders or "Dual Console" aren't as popular. They've also made some cuddy cabins or "walkarounds" which look cool, but are rarer, also too big to be this 16 foot.

I don't think they've ever had traditional stringers. I think they do some kind of foam-sandwich deal that is kind of like the Glastron Vec sytem... or the Vec system is like the Whaler system more like.

The foam soaking... I've never heard of, but it makes sense it could come up, as every one of them has a foam core.

The outboard is obviously a major part of the overall value of the package.

I don't know a whole lot about them really, but I've always liked the lines. They seem to hold their value in the Northeast. Especially well taken care of and well powered. The smaller ones are almost more valuable in a way than the larger ones, at least they depreciate much less quickly.

Any pics?

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 6:09pm
Brian, thanks for the info. Literally all I know is that it's a 16' model.   

If I remember correctly, it was a center console but it's been probably 5 years since I've had eyes on the boat and they had two of them!

There doesn't seem to be a huge market for them here in Iowa but she isn't asking for a whole lot. Her plan is to get rid of this one so she can make space at her dock for a Correct Craft!    
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 2:14pm
Here is the Whaler mom and I drug home this weekend. I thought 'Scooby Doo' might have been a model name like SNOB? Nope! It's literally a Scooby Doo decal on both sides of the boat!!

This was a good family friend's boat who she kept around for her grandkids to drive. Her marina was trying to sell it for her (while collecting storage $) so it didn't get much exposure and sat in their building for a year.

I was told it has a clean bill of health and runs just fine, but we'll see once we get a battery hooked up and some fuel to the engine.

Overall, the hull is in good condition. There's 3 screw holes in the deck that need to be filled and a smal area of damaged glass on the under side of the hull.

The wood bench seats need some love. Pete and I talked about reconditioning them on the drive back home so I'll take your advice on what to do with them now that you can see pictures.

Our first order of business is to get the wood seats out of the boat so we can start refinishing them. Then we'll strip the scooby decals and clean up the gel with some 3m compound. Should be a fun little project and a great boat for someone!

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 2:23pm
Nice, that's a nice little boat. Pretty similar to the ones I see buzzing around my lake. The two stroke Envinrude is nice, they're making all the new ones four strokes, which I'd think would slow it down a little.

I always like the big side rails on those. I think you can get a cushion for the front section if you want to dress it up, that could run into some money though. Get the woodwork shined up and you'll have a whole new boat!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 2:23pm
Chris,
When we talked, I didn't picture the wood to be in that bad a condition and the reason I mentioned if not real bad, a light sanding and a couple coats of varnish may do it! They sure need some TLC. i'd say they have never gotten any care and have seen plenty of weater and sun. All the wood will have to come out. Hopefully a wood bleach will remove most of the gray. Then sanding and probably another bleach. A paste wood grain filler/stain and varnish. Keep me informed.

They used a pretty decent grade of Philipine Mahogany.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 2:24pm
Nice boat. They've got great demand around here.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 2:35pm
Pete, I'll start pulling the wood tonight. Any suggestions on the wood bleach process? I know Alan did this on his Hurricane but it's new to me.

Brian, this one has a wood panel that covers the storage in the front. I took it out before we left since it wasn't secure. Outside of cleaning it up and making sure it's mechanically sounds I'm not looking to dump a whole lot of $ into this project. She's just looking to get rid of the boat to save her from paying ridiculous amounts in storage fees.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 2:43pm
Chris,
I don't remember whos's brand Alan ended up with. The two gallon kit I've had for years and recommended was no longer around. Just look for a two part bleach. They are all the same. Then follow the directions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 5:17pm
Chris, those make amazing show ski pick up/safety boats. I asked Brian if he wanted it for Five Seasons but not sure what they have in mind out there. If you want, throw it on showskiers.com, or I can for ya.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 5:28pm
We used the Klean Strip wood bleach.
We used to buy it from a small local paint store.
Since lowes and depot took over, I can no longer find it.   They both sell Klean Strip products, but both paint dept. managers have told me that the wood bleach is not available through their vendor.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 6:44pm
I actually used to ski behind one just like that back in the early 80's with a guy I grew up with. It was his Dad's but had a 35HP Johnson on the back of it I believe. Had enough to pull you round on a pair of combo's but didn't have enough ummphf to pull you if you tried to dropped one. It was all we had but it sure was fun. My buddy pulled it with a little 4 banger Toyota. Good times!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 6:49pm
If your cleaning up to sell it there are several in the Atlanta craigslist that look very similar and they range in price from $3-$7k for pricing comparisons. I know they are reasonably popular with the large cruisers on Lake Lanier as they are used to motor around to/from anchor during the weekend - see alot of folks with the smaller ones hanging or driven up on platforms around the marinas. Good luck with it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

We used the Klean Strip wood bleach.
We used to buy it from a small local paint store.
Since lowes and depot took over, I can no longer find it.   They both sell Klean Strip products, but both paint dept. managers have told me that the wood bleach is not available through their vendor.

klean strip 2 quart kit

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I actually used to ski behind one just like that back in the early 80's with a guy I grew up with. It was his Dad's but had a 35HP Johnson on the back of it I believe. Good times!

Yup, good times!! I grew up with friends who had a 13' with a Merc 50 on it jacked high on the transom. That thing was wild especially when it would "prop walk" on the cavitation plate!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 7:18pm
Chris, maybe the pictures are playing tricks on my eyes, but that looks closer to a 13' Whaler to me. Great little boat. My uncle has one with a 65hp Merc on it, and it goes pretty good. My cousin and I used to double barefoot behind it back when it had a 40hp on it. Fun boat!

An older vintage 13' whaler with a running motor and console and trailer would easily command $3500 here in the northeast, even if it wasnt all that clean. They really hold their value.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 7:48pm
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to check one local source for the bleach otherwise I'll be ordering the Klean Strip!

I'll post progress on the seats this week and see if we can't get it on the water. Once this is gone she'll be in the market for a nice open bow Correct Craft! Still can't believe what she was paying to store this little boat!

We're making her a heck of a deal as the CC will be stored at my farm and we'll be doing the winter/spring maintenance for her as well. Much cheaper and we'll have another CC in the stable in the spring/fall when their season ends!

As far as price goes, she was told it was worth 1k-1,500! Again, not impressed with the marina! Looks like they didn't do their homework.

The market for these in IA is probably not as strong as other places but I'd guess she should be able to get somewhere around 2k-2,500 if the motor checks out.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 8:20pm
I agree with Tim about it being a13 footer,
That boat would sell for $3000-$3500 easy as Whalers hold their value in New England.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 8:25pm
If there's any validity to what this nutty is trying to claim, the 16' version is really rare. I know, myself, from just casually surfing Whalers in the past, I've only seen 13', 15', 17' etc. Check to see if yours really is a 16'.

Check this out:
16' 40hp Whaler for $12,500!!

I think this guy is out of his mind, but the correct number is definitely north of $1,500 if you get it all buffed up. 5k wouldn't be totally out of the question.

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Check this out:
16' 40hp Whaler for $12,500!!

I think this guy is out of his mind, but the correct number is definitely north of $1,500 if you get it all buffed up. 5k wouldn't be totally out of the question.

It doesn't even have the scooby dooby decal upgrade!!!
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 1:12pm
Chris, that little Whaler brings back many memories. My grandfather had one nearly identical to it. They're great for poking around back bays and coves. I don't recall ever seeing one w/ the Scooby Doo decal. You may not have to go as far as the NE for a decent market for that boat. I would imagine it could command a good price near any of the larger Lake Michigan ports as they make excellent tenders as well.

You have probably already found these two sites but just in case you haven't...

WhalerCentral I have found this one particularly helpful. Nice forums and numerous threads on restoration projects.

Continuous Wave is another nice site.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic