Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

External Resistor?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Alf Evans View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alf Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: External Resistor?
    Posted: September-20-2005 at 4:13pm
I've got an old ebay Martinique that I've been converting into the ultimate wakeboard rig. In the mean time I feel like i'm going through external resistors faster than I should. The boat didn't have one when I got it, I put one on last year and she started to improve on start up and response. She got sluggish, and I replaced it again (the external resistor had some cracks in it) and that seems to fix the problem. She's getting sluggish again, only after about 2 months, and I noticed my external resistor is getting some cracks in it again. I checked my voltage going to the batteries, and it seems that i'm getting about normal. I am pulling a lot of weight, but I have an 11.5 pitch prop, so I thought that would fix it. Anybody have any ideas?
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 12:37am
Try a mallory YLU-554-cv distribtor with a mallory coil and get rid of the points.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 1:21am
Dont leave the key on when the engine isnt on. This will burn it out.
SS201 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 8:23am
All points systems use resistors, and also most all pointless distribtor and high performance recomend a balast resistor. Although they will run they will in time let you down.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2005 at 5:54am
How is your ballast resistor mounted? Or is it? It needs to be mounted properly to be able to dissipate the heat that is generated due to the voltage it drops. Just a thought.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2005 at 7:17am
They were mounted on the plate where the voltage regulator and wireing on the back of the engine below the intake manifold.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2005 at 1:06am
Wow! Your boat has some really old equipment still. I agree with 79 - you should upgrade to a newer pointless distributor and while you're at it I'd also install a newer alternator with an internal voltage regulator. You can get a marine 100 Amp 10SI (GM type) alternator through e-bay for less than 100 bucks. I bought one for my '88 Ski Centurion (351W Indmar). It was a direct bolt on. This alternator is available in 1 wire and 3 wire hookup configurations.

If you're dead set on fixing the setup that you currently have, resistors fail for one reason- too much heat. Either the resistor is not matched to the coil or is not mounted properly so it can dissipate the heat. One other possibility is that you voltage regulator is allowing the alternator to output too much voltage. Although this will usually cause a cooked battery.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2005 at 8:57am
Most all conversons still recomend a ballast resistor, however they will work with out but in time let you down.
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2005 at 11:47am
I have a brand new electronic dist and use a ballast restistor. It makes no difference on the age. You are foolish if you think that because you have a new dist that you don't need the resistor. Even if you use a conversion kit they don't say to remove it, they say check the voltage at the coil and if it reads this, then do that. Some coils have the resistor built in. SO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, or you will go through parts that you don't need to because you don't have it connected properly.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2005 at 5:47pm
OK, allow me to clarify what I meant by upgrading to a pointless distributor. I didn't say (or mean to say) that you can eliminate the resistor by changing to an electronic unit. This depends on the primary resistance of the coil. So yes, you do need to read your instructions. Don't assume anything and don't believe what others tell you they've "gotten away with". Let me go on to say that in upgrading to an electronic distributor, Alf should consider replacing his coil because it is more than likely damaged if the ballast resistor keeps burning up. As a matter of fact, it could be the reason why the resistor isn't lasting. My observation from is that he has some very "out of date" equipment on his engine and some upgrade are in order to reduce maintenance in the long run. That's all. Everyone have a nice day!    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic