NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trany, starter or neutral switch???

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 11:35am
A fully charged battery is good to about -90F before it will freeze, a half charged battery will freeze at above 0.

Glad you tracked down the bad wire, I would concider getting a better battery in the future.

A common mistake most make when jumping an engine is that they connect both cables to the battery posts on the car/boat they are trying to jump start. The mistake is the neg cable should go to the engine block instead of the battery post.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 11:19pm
Just to clear a few things up,...A fully charged battery will read 12.6 volts or more. If it reads more, it has what is called a surface charge. When batteries are load tested, the surface charge should be bled off (by putting a load across the battery for about 15 - 20 seconds) to get the unloaded voltage down to 12.6 volts before testing begins. Many techs who test batteries skip this step. A fully discharged battery (unloaded) reads approx. 11.6 - 11.8 volts, not 6 volts as previously mentioned (unless it has a dead cell - in which case the battery is no good and will not be able to hold a charge). When a battery is charged, the electrolyte is Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) That's 2 parts Hydrogen, 1 part Sulfur and 4 parts Oxygen. The plates are made of sponge lead. As the battery discharges, a chemical reaction takes place and the sulfur combines with the sponge lead to create lead sulfate. The electrolyte changes properties and becomes a higher percentage of water (H2O). A fully discharged battery has the highest percentage of water vs. Sulfuric acid. This is why it freezes at a higher temperature. There is no chemical reaction going on in the battery to produce any heat unless it is being charged or discharged. Sulfuric acid has a lower freezing point than water. It should also be mentioned that the longer a battery remains in a discharged state, the harder it becomes to break the sulfur loose from the lead. Some of the sulfur will remain attached and the battery looses some of its capacity. This is what is referred to as "the battery is sulfated".   So when storing your battery for the winter, make sure it is fully charged.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2005 at 11:24am
HMMMMM?????? That maybe the case for an older lead acid battery that you have to add water to. But for the newwer style sealed batteries it as a gel mixture and very little water is in it. You are right on the surface charge and that it will give you a higher reading. But If I get 12.7V or less, that battery is junk. It should have 12.8-13.0 volts when fully charged and It better show 13.5V right after start-up to tell me the charging system is working correctly and if it is only giving me 13.0 then your charging system needs repaired.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2005 at 4:17pm
Yes, 79, you are right! I was talking about lead acid batteries in the above post. I haven't studied the newer battery technology yet, it was covered when I went to school at Florida Community College of Jacksonville yet. I only wanted to point out that a 12 volt battery that is reading only 6 volts (unloaded) has a far worse condition than only being 1/2 charged. It would have to have dead cells (more than one). It would be completely unrecoverable and no amount of charging will bring it back.

You are dead on with the charging system. In fact most alternators built today have their internal voltage regulators set between 13.8 and 14.2 volts. I've even seen a few put out up to 14.5.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2005 at 8:31pm
The melting point of concentrated sulphuric acid is 10C. The melting point of water is 0C. A solution of the two has a lower melting point than either one by it's self; just like antifreeze.
A battery discharges even when not being used. This reaction is exothermic (gives off heat). Energy is neither created nor destroyed. If you put energy into a battery to charge it, engery is given off when it discharges. That energy is in the form of heat when it's just sitting around.
I agree, if you store a battery at less than 0C it should be fully charged. I can't imagine storing me at <0C for six months, much less a battery.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2005 at 1:54am
Hmmmm?? water/sulfer mix very old, today not the same?????????? no current flow no heat no energy loss,no reaction,still stored as????, poticial(SP) energy not transfer to kenetic, still potencial (sp) energy no load no lose stays same????????????? no reaction occurs, already at maximum potencial(sp)??????????????? waiting for kenetic release,,,, current, amps, draw, load?????? where it come from???? key turn????????????

Man it's late
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2005 at 4:43am
'79, I think they make a pill for that ..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic