NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Motor not going over 3200 RPM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rev Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rev Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor not going over 3200 RPM
    Posted: April-04-2012 at 3:55pm
I love it when a plan comes together with a simple solution!

Under torqued......Or loose plugs?    
Cheers,
Rev Bob

"if it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!"
~~~
My Dad always said; "Everything on your boat is either broken or about to be....and you just don't know about it yet".
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 2:43pm
Gotta love the fixes that don't cost anything
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 2:40pm
So as it turns out, this was my fault and had to do with how much I torqued the plugs down.

So, when you change plugs, make sure they are torqued down enough otherwise this will happen. What I thought was a smooth idle on this boat was actually very rough.

I can hardly hear this thing have any sort of lope at idle with the new plugs and torquing them down enough.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:02am
remove distributor cap and clean the pickup and inspect
Brian
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 11:04pm
you need to find out if the secondaries are allowing fuel through them . if you have a stuck needle or a blockage somewhere then they might open but cause a lean condition.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 9:39pm
I finally had a chance to take a look at this. I watched the mechanism that opened the secondaries and when you would go wide open throttle, it would open the secondaries up and then it would close it. While the secondaries were open (which was for all of 4-5 seconds) the boat sounded like it was missing. Thoughts?
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 3:27pm
Thanks guys. Ill keep you updated.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Initial timing should be 10 deg... final should be approaching 35 deg (at 3000 RPM and above). That would be a good thing to verify.

Good point mechanical advance could be sticking.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Does running without a spark arrestor effect intake air flow stuff at all? Obviously not a fire issue with the motor box removed.

Nope. Assuming you dont have a clogged arrestor (in which case you may notice a little better performance).

Of course, theres no need to pull the arrestor to check on the functionality of the secondaries. I wouldnt recommend sticking your face down the throat of the carb while its running. Driving across the lake at 40mph with an open motorbox and toying with the carb is where I draw the line from a safety perspective.

Initial timing should be 10 deg... final should be approaching 35 deg (at 3000 RPM and above). That would be a good thing to verify.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by 00cls1camaross 00cls1camaross wrote:

Ok I am taking this to a buddy to look at tonight. What should the timing be? I figure we can check that too.

10 degrees BTDC
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

As inboard owners, we have the distinct advantage of being able to just open the motorbox while underway. Having a second person available to watch the engine and probe the secondaries at speed is much easier than the tricks described for a car.

True, true. Does running without a spark arrestor effect intake air flow stuff at all? Obviously not a fire issue with the motor box removed.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

To check if your secndaries are opening, go to this site:
http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm
And do a control F for the phrase "How to know if your vacuum secondaries are opening"

As inboard owners, we have the distinct advantage of being able to just open the motorbox while underway. Having a second person available to watch the engine and probe the secondaries at speed is much easier than the tricks described for a car.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:08pm
To check if your secndaries are opening, go to this site:
http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm
And do a control F for the phrase "How to know if your vacuum secondaries are opening"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:02pm
Ok I am taking this to a buddy to look at tonight. What should the timing be? I figure we can check that too.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 9:59am
secondaries, thats right where about they should be opening
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by 00cls1camaross 00cls1camaross wrote:

Ok so I regapped the plugs to .40 and it didn't help much. The boat started a lot easier and idled a bit better, maybe it was mental?

It would run smooth to 3200 RPMs and do the same thing it did last time.

Any suggestions.

Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

are your carb secondaries kicking in?

Also, what prop is on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 9:34am
Ok so I regapped the plugs to .40 and it didn't help much. The boat started a lot easier and idled a bit better, maybe it was mental?

It would run smooth to 3200 RPMs and do the same thing it did last time.

Any suggestions.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 9:18am
Just be careful when you regap. I had a misfiring problem AFTER I changed the gap on the plugs and boat was running like crap. Put old ones back in to see if the problem fixed itself which it did. I obviously damaged one of the new plugs when I regapped or when I removed it. No visible damage on any of the plugs but one musta been cracked internally to cause ignition problems.

Just be careful when removing or re-gapping.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 3:15pm
Regap is fine, since nothing else changed that's the place to start, plus it's such an easy adjustment.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 3:15pm
regap is fine.... Use a feeler guage to verify the gap, and make sure the tip is straight after you finish tweaking on it.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

EI is not exactly the same thing as HEI, where .060 gaps was common.

I'd reset gap back to .035 & see what happens. Check to see if you are getting gas thru the secondaries - maybe the needle is stuck in that bowl.

I think the gap is the issue. Do you think I can just regap the plugs I have or should I buy a new set?
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

NG,
Did you do the EI conversion? Did you get the timing light out and check the timing? Is the mechanical advance working? Who's conversion did you use and why did you do it?

I did not do the conversion, the PO did it. The motor ran strong to 4400 rpms when I test drove it. I do not know how to check advance on the timing. I have a buddy that does. I will probably take it to him if I can’t get this fixed.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Plug wires? Are they on right? Did you cross one of them? Are the wires on all cylinders? If so are your carb secondaries kicking in? Just a few suggestions.

I am nearly certain I did not cross one of the wires. It does not idle rough at all and runs really smooth until 3000 rpms. I verified that all wires were on the proper cylinder and connected. As for the carb, I do not know enough about carburetion to know if the secondaries are kicking on.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 10:43am
EI is not exactly the same thing as HEI, where .060 gaps was common.

I'd reset gap back to .035 & see what happens. Check to see if you are getting gas thru the secondaries - maybe the needle is stuck in that bowl.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 9:55am
if plugs are white, lack of fuel. if plugs are black, lack of spark
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 9:31am
Check the wires. Plug gap seems pretty steep. .45 sounds fine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 9:18am
NG,
Did you do the EI conversion? Did you get the timing light out and check the timing? Is the mechanical advance working? Who's conversion did you use and why did you do it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 3:53am
Plug wires? Are they on right? Did you cross one of them? Are the wires on all cylinders? If so are your carb secondaries kicking in? Just a few suggestions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 2:44am
So I took the boat out to the lake today and the motor would run above 3200 for a few seconds, sound like it was missing, and then would come back down to about 3000 rpms. It seemed like anything above 3000 was causing the motor to miss.The motor has fresh 91 and is filled with brand new sae 40 oil. The pressure was good and the the water temp was about 150 the entire time.

I changed the spark plugs and gapped them to .55 because I have electronic ignition. I am thinking it may be a plug issue. Anyone have any input
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic