NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on 1st Wakeboard boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by jo-e90 jo-e90 wrote:

ugh - monster towers are the ugliest towers made. They look like wide spaced tent poles after a hurricane ripped off the tent.

All towers completely ruin the way these boats look.

Towers are like baggy pants. It's a horrible fad that needs to go away.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Jo, there just are not as many correct crafts here (MN) as other parts of the country, but they do come up.

Yep...took me 3 years to find mine.

I can wait 3 years but I dont know if my wakeboard knees can, as I in my 50's and just started to take up the sport. I hope it will not be too late before I go to my grave.
The funds are tight because of the economy and I do mostly volunteer work.
Its amazing how young people with $50k boats are looking for $80K boats, when I could buy 4-6 boats with their $50K boat equity, but cannot afford it and I am not getting any younger.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2012 at 9:41pm

Its amazing how young people with $50k boats are looking for $80K boats, when I could buy 4-6 boats with their $50K boat equity, but cannot afford it and I am not getting any younger.

I doubt these young people afford these boats..... the old folks bought 'em and the the young folks drive 'em because the old guy's knees didn't hold up.........

Youth is wasted on the young!
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 7:24pm

Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Jo, there just are not as many correct crafts here (MN) as other parts of the country, but they do come up.

Yep...took me 3 years to find mine.

I can wait 3 years but I dont know if my wakeboard knees can, as I in my 50's and just started to take up the sport. I hope it will not be too late before I go to my grave.
The funds are tight because of the economy and I do mostly volunteer work.

Well, in all fairness, I'm young (27) and don't like the new boats as much as I do the older ones. For me, they are just full of gimmicks and really don't have any soul. Sure they are nice (mainly because they are new), but they are just boats.

That being said, I would trade my boat and my two brothers for a new, 505HP Corvette Malibu...
cthorne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cthorne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 11:43am
Steve, I have a 94 Excel for sale if interested. See link below as I have gotten a new one and need to let this one go.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=5562&sort=&pagenum=1

Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:21pm
jo-e90

Keep looking I just bought my first boat this past weekend. 93 Sport Nautique perfect interior with 770 hours for 10K with trailer and I looked for almost three years before I found mine. Posted on craigslist on Wednesday and I called within 1 hour and picked it up on Friday. Good deals go really fast!
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:21pm
Hey Ross, welcome along..you have been looking for a long time.

jo-e90, I am sure you search wont take quite so long.

We all need to see pictures (I though I would get that in before anyone else) and I am bored today so need to see more pictures.

Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 2:44pm
At Lake Martin this past weekend. I need a bimini and board racks or I'm gonna do a tower with bimini and board racks.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 9:09pm
I just don't understand why the SN2001's asking $9K - &13K when you can get a 1998-99 Sport or Air for the same or a little more?
I would like to get the SN2001 because of the SP Package and the hull but can never pull the trigger as I see 1998-99's going for the same or a little more. Why do people buy/pay these 23-26 year old boats for same $$ ?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 9:44pm
Because of their well earned reputation.

Have you been paying any attention to the advice you've been getting?
This is the life
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I'm really beginning to wonder if he's just some troll from the Mastercraft forums just here to f with all of us.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 2:57am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Then what does that say for some '98's+

1998 ski    vs   1990 ski

1988 ski vs 1998 Air

Also, what is the person limit in a SN2001 vs 1993 Sport?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 7:25am
in your first "comparison" the one advertized as a 98 is an 89 in the ad so...what was the question?
This is the life
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 9:46am
$9-13k is going to be top end for a 2001 in excellent condition that is going to last several seasons before anything needs doing to it they can be had for much less than that in very serviceable condition just in need of a little tlc. The Sports for this kind of money are going to have some issues and need a little tlc so you are looking at the best of one boat and the worst of another (I am generalizing this )
The 2001 is the BEST budget wakeboard capable boat you can buy, this is why they are always in demand and people think* they can charge more for them than they are actually worth.

At some point you need to pull the trigger and get yourself onto the water, the main difference is space with one being OB so providing an easy storage/extra seating. I believe the 2001 has a capacity of 6 people and the sport has a capacity of 8. (somebody correct me if I am wrong, the 1990- ski is 6 also)

Find yourself a nice example of either boat and PULL THE TRIGGER and GET YOUR AR53 ON THE WATER, its warming up very nicely

*Advertised price and sale price are always different.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 10:47am
My 93 pictured above rides 9. I'd been looking at an 89 2001 and decide on the 93 sport because of the extra space for people and storage plus no wood stringers.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 3:07pm
1)Is it true that the 90's+ sports need more weight to make the same wake of a SN2001?

2) Also, which SN2001 for sale here on CC would you buy over this 1998 Air, assuming the Air could be had for $11K?

3) Where can you get a bimini for a SN2001 that already has a tower? Will a factory bimini work with all towers?

4)What are the differences in 3 blade and 4 blade props in the SN2001?
What is special about the Acme prop?

thanks for being patient with me. Some here have taken 3 years.
I have made multiple offers on many boats already for $100 below asking and owner backs out or says not selling anymore or already sold or dont get back to me.
I have many offers out there right now and continuously making reasonable offers on CC's. I am not a troll.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 3:19pm

I just don't understand why the SN2001's asking $9K - &13K when you can get a 1998-99 Sport or Air for the same or a little more?
I would like to get the SN2001 because of the SP Package and the hull but can never pull the trigger as I see 1998-99's going for the same or a little more. Why do people buy/pay these 23-26 year old boats for same $$ ?

Also these are asking prices but that would be on the very high end for a 2001. A super clean 2001 just sold by me for 6500. I would say thats more of an average price. Remember if there is on in the diaries for 10K and its been up for 2 years its because that guy is nuts or not really serious about selling.

On the same note not very 98-99 sports go for under 10K. So...not really the same price at all. In fact I would say 10K for a 93 sport would be a decent price.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 3:27pm

1)Is it true that the 90's+ sports need more weight to make the same wake of a SN2001? add 2 more friends! Weight problem solved.

2) Also, which SN2001 for sale here on CC would you buy over this 1998 Air, assuming the Air could be had for $11K? - There are other places to CC than this site, in fact many in the diaries are grossly overpriced and have been listed for several years. These two boats are not comparable, first of all you are asking this guy to come down 2K doubt it. Also I feel you can get a very nice condition 2001 with medium hours,say 800, for 6500-7000, that wont need any work. That is basically half price. So if you want to spend 13, get the air, if you want something for half that get a 2001. I paid 4000 for mine and I wouldnt even say I got a great deal.

3) Where can you get a bimini for a SN2001 that already has a tower? Will a factory bimini work with all towers? That depends on the brand of tower

4)What are the differences in 3 blade and 4 blade props in the SN2001?
What is special about the Acme prop? Which acme? Acmes are precision cut on a CNC machine, this makes them very efficient. Acme is just a brand preference there are other good props, OJ, etc. 3 vs 4 depends on what you want to do with it. If you will be running mostly weighted etc. I would wait to do your prop research once you own the boat, this may be a little cart before the horse. Also generalizations like 3 blades always are better for this and 4 blades are better for that are not always true. However many 4 blades are advantageous for running at lower speeds with added weight.

thanks for being patient with me. Some here have taken 3 years.
I have made multiple offers on many boats already for $100 below asking and owner backs out or says not selling anymore or already sold or dont get back to me.
I have many offers out there right now and continuously making reasonable offers on CC's. I am not a troll. Be patient, keep looking, also remember the diaries here are not the only place and often times not even the best place to shop
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 3:35pm
1) Nope I don't believe that; the wakes are different, the 2001 is a smaller boat with a narrow wake, both are going to blow your mind [:>]

2) Decide what you want, the Air will not suffer stringer issues has more space and will put out a monster wake. The one you have linked to has a few issues that have been discussed before. The 2001 has a special place in a lot of peoples hearts you either want one with the issues they have (stringers/smaller size) or you want a newer boat.

3) You need to know the size between the tower and get a bimini to fit, should not be a big issue getting one from any supplier.

4) There are lots of threads about this on here but you need to find them and research. Don't worry about this until you get a boat, because swapping a prop is not a big job.

Decide what you want and what is important to you, choose your budget and then get something. Don't blow everything you have on the purchase as there is always stuff that will be needed.

Get out there and look at the boats you are interested in, don't just get the pictures. A seller wants you to get into his boat and ask questions, you need to engage the seller, you want him to sell you his boat, Pick up the phone and speak to the seller rather than do everything over email, chase down everything you are interested in and keep chasing until you have one.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 3:49pm
Clean 2001 $5995

Budget Wakeboard $7999

Sport Nautique Search

I am just not seeing these 1998-1998 sports for 11-13K everywhere. In fact the average price is more around 17,000. If everyone is charging 17,000 and you find one for twelve, why do you think that seller would be selling at such a discount? Because he is stupid? Or he has no idea what his boat is worth and is too lazy to spend 5 seconds on the internet? Or because there is a something wrong with it?

This is why people keep asking what you budget is. Because 98 sports with tower and perfect interior dont exist for 11,000. You will regret you purchase if you spend all summer at the mechanic than on the lake. Trust me once you at the end of that rope, you wont be thinking about what is towing you. Its all you then.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 3:50pm
I will let others answer the technical questions- though Im sure you can find all you could ever want to know on most of those by doing a search right here. Lots of info at your fingertips!

I have many offers out there right now and continuously making reasonable offers on CC's. I am not a troll.

It sounds like you havent had much luck in trying to buy a boat. Here's some free advice- take it for what its worth!

-Some sellers are flakes. They like to list things on the internet for sale, but dont like to field emails. Theyre either afraid of spam or technologically incompetent. Im sure some are just testing the waters and dont respond to any inquiries. Others arent courteous and will not continue to field responses to their ad after they have one or 2 semi-serious lookers. If youre getting a response about half the time, that sounds about right. Frustrating as a buyer for sure, but thats how it goes!

-Low priced stuff sells fast. Lots of bargain hunters out there. If you see something that catches your eye and is a good deal, then move fast. Dont sit and wait- minutes and hours count. Use every mode of communication at your disposal. Email and then follow up with a phone call (or vice versa). Provide multiple contact methods yourself- include your email address in a voicemail, and your phone number in your email. Answer your phone when they call back, return calls and emails quickly. If youre not on top of things, someone else will be, and they'll beat you to the deal. If something is priced ridiculously low, be prepared to pay full asking price, rather than haggling.

-Low priced stuff sells easily. If a seller is getting a lot of interest in an item, they may not want to deal with the guy asking a lot of questions, asking for a lot of pictures, and lowballing them on price. They'll deal with the easier potential buyers first, or ignore you entirely. If youve got a line on a good deal, make it easy for the seller- get out there and see it for yourself, if possible, rather than relying on someone to do a lot of legwork for the sale.

-Sellers are suspicious of tire kickers, especially on the internet. The fact that you have "several offers" out there right now on multiple boats means that they cant all be serious... after all, youre not going to buy all of them, right? If sellers can sniff out that youre BS'ing them, they'll move on. You need to prove to them that youre serious. Do something to give them confidence that you'll close the deal... call them on the phone (this shows serious interest as opposed to a faceless email). If you come to terms, make sure to offer to send a deposit. Even better, show up in person, and bring CASH.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 3:53pm
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 4:06pm
Some great advice here

One thing I'd add. I get the impression that Joe is wasting a lot of time and energy looking for a boat that is equipped in a certain way (ie tower, prop, bimini etc.)

I think the focus should be on getting a good condition, good running boat, that needs next to nothing or needs a few small repairs to get on the water.

Also, I woundn't worry soohhh much about the size of the wake. Unless you're already a highlty skilled boarder, it will take a long time to outgrow the potential (even unweighted) of the boats you've mentioned.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 4:39pm
Making an offer over the phone or internet $100 under asking price without ever looking at the boat in person will not ever get a response.
This is the life
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 11:47pm
The best advice I can give is to decide what you want, find a nice one, & pay the guy a fair price for it. The bitterness of a bad purchase will last much longer than the sweetness of a low price.

I paid too much for my boat but am very happy I bought it.

PS - The money outflow doesn't stop with the handshake - it is only the beginning!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:19pm
2001's are going between 20 - 25k here in Oz. Count yourselves lucky you don't need to pay these dollars. Guys who go to the trouble of importing their 2001 get a sweeter deal. Most of these though are bare boats and need trailer mods, towers, racks and biminis etc.

Most 2001's here are in very good condition and are known to be the best value wake you can purchase. Sports & Airs are fetching between 35 - 45k, pre 07 210's go for 55 - 65k hence the reason 2001's are popular for wakeboarding enthusiasts. Another reason they are popular (for me in particular) is they are small enough to fit into garages and can be towed by our relatively small passenger cars - Holden Commodores / Ford Falcons etc.

You US guys don't realise how spoilt you are for choice....

jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 7:01pm
Why are most SN2001's missing the big "2001" decals?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:02pm

Why are some SN2001's missing the big "2001" decals?

If you are talking about Justin's boat. It is a 89 which does not have the large 2001 decal at the rear of each side. Justin fitted latter model Ski Nautique decals that are tasteful without being original. At least he did not put a tribal "Air" decal on it.

It was not until 85 that Correct Craft started using the larger 2001 decal the first three years of the SN2001 82-84 had the three colour painted side strips with the smaller 2001 lettering. The larger 2001 lettering was used from 85-88 in slightly different forms. The 89 SN2001 used a much smaller size lettering for the "2001". These decals were hard to source but the original style can now be sourced.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 4:19pm
Joe,
I feel your pain, looking for boats in MN is brutal. There just isn't a huge supply out there. I live in St. Paul but the 93 excel is for sale in Shell Lake, WI not even 2 hrs from the Twin Cities. Word is that the ice just went out on the lake over the weekend, so it would be available for a test drive shortly too. V-drive and I feel like it has great wake for boarding.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic