Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mustang 17: Can’t get the old plugs out!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mustang 17: Can’t get the old plugs out!!
    Posted: September-09-2005 at 9:04pm
I just got a '74 mustang that had been sitting for six years (see my Abandoned Mustang post), and I'm trying to turn the engine over. The thing is, I want to get the old plugs out so I can turn it over without risking vapor lock. But they won't come out - I haven't tried to torque it super hard, because I'm afraid of sheering the plugs. Any advice on getting these out?

Thanks!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2005 at 12:05am
Okay, well, I got 6 of the 8 out, but I broke a socket extension on #6. Now I've got to go buy a new extension to get the last two. Holy crap! Who knew what six years could do...
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2005 at 12:07am
I am surprized the plugs wont come out. Those 302 engines are a little tight in by the manifolds. Using a 6 point sparkplug socket and no extention on the ratchet if possible, hit the end of the ratchet. This will usually always break em loose. Dont be shocked if the spark plug insulator breaks. An impact gun and socket also works really well if available. Also a good shower of wd-40 or equiv. into the cylinders after the plugs are out doesnt hurt. This will help from rust scoring the cylinders. Turn it over by hand before cranking the starter.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2005 at 2:24am
I got the last two out, but I broke a wrench in the process. I poured in some Marvel Mystery Oil, let it sit for a while, then cranked the starter. I should have done it by hand at first, but I got a little ahead of myself. It turned over! I now know two things about this boat - 1) the starter still works 2) the engine isn't locked. #2 was my biggest fear in buying an abandoned boat, but it's all good now. I might actually get it wet this year!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2005 at 5:25pm
dchris; congrats...who cares about a broke wrench or two?.....keep posting pics as you go along..please...there's alot of us who are following this story....jbear
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 1:49am
Fortunately for me, my neighbor doesn't buy cheap hand tools like I have in the past! His tools don't break...

Anyway, I've got some new pictures to post. Today I drained the gas tank, changed the oils, and took out the seats.

My little girl loves the boat.

I took some teenagers wakeboarding this morning, and in return they scrubbed up the boat. It's amzing how nice it cleans up! I thought I was going to have to replace the vinyl, but it's actually looking pretty good. I'm going to keep it the way it is.

This project keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. I was digging around in the bow and found the original dual trumpet horns. I thought I was going to have to buy new ones.

Anyway, here's a bunch of pictures. You might notice I've already ripped out part of the floor. It crumbled as I pulled out the seats.

Don't worry. The only things I bought at AutoZone were oil and a couple of tools. No car parts going on my boat!

Looks like the outside stringers are going to need some work.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 2:19am
cool,castrol super clean will romove that sludge with ease.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 3:01pm
dchris; Thanks for the pics. Boat looks good already. Can't believe that you are skiing with it already! Looks like you have soom work ahead of you but you are gonna enjoy! Keep it as stock as possible......jbear
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 6:41pm
I'm not skiing with it yet. That was the previous boat (a 1989 Rinker 206). I sold it on eBay, and we took it out on one last run yesterday. The new owners showed up just as we got in our last turn. I wont' miss that old boat.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 7:07pm
dchris; Oops! 'course you ain't skiing with the Mustang yet, but boy are you gonna love it soon as you get to! Hope them new owners love their Rinker (ugh)............jbear
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 8:35pm
One man's trash is another man's treasure... But now that I think about it, I might miss that deep V when I take my kids swimming in the afternoon and the lake is full of chop from all the other boats.

It's a good think I ski early in the morning! Morser Reservoir, where I ski, is a choppy parking lot once all the tubers get out there.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 8:43pm
By the way, I've a section to my personal web site for the boat. Check it out for more pictures.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 2:39pm
I quit using sockets on the spark plugs a long time ago. If you back the plug out a little too much the socket would get wedged against the exhaust. Now I only use a boxed end wrench on my plugs and a little bit of anitseize on the threads. If your boat has been sitting for six years, check the impellor in the raw water pump and check the thermostat if the block has had water in it that long.
Tim D
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 11:20pm
Thanks Tim. I'll check them both. I didn't have problems with the sockets getting wedged against the exhaust on this engine (this was always a problem with the Mercruiser in my Rinker). They were just so flippin' tight it was hard to get them out. But they're out now, and the tune-up kit comes tomorrow. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night we'll know if she'll run!
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2005 at 4:05pm
If you get it fired up you should consider doing an engine flush. I did it on my truck that was sitting for a couple of years and the first flush nearly plugged the oil filter with the amount of sludge that came out. If you do this follow the instuctions to the T. Only idle, and no power or movement. Pulling the valve covers and soaking down the valve stems and spring with Kroil (or a good penetrating oil that creeps) might be a good idea too. That would give you the opportunity to check for stuck valves, and see just how dirty the heads are on top. If they are sludged up on top, then you can bet the pan is sludged up as well. But chances are, if good oil was used in the past it will be fairly clean. Don't rush with the start up and you will be ok. Soak those cylinders down really good too. Often and heavy. Use lots of penetrating oil!
While your waiting, you should remove the starter, open it up and take a look at the condition. Lube up the bendix, check the brushes, and inspect the drive gear, and ring gear too. Knowing what your starting out with is half the battle when your troubleshooting an engine. Good luck!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 4:25pm
She runs! She runs!!!! Go ahead and slam on me all you want for screwing up, but I'm so happy I don't care. I was driving to West Marine and it occurred to me that I had followed the firing order clockwise on my distributor cap, when it was really counter clockwise. So, I rearranged the wires, turned the key, and she fired right up. It's a beautiful sound too!!!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 4:40pm
You might not want to wait a full season before replacing the filter again. I'd change it after its first good run and see what's in there again..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 5:04pm
I think that's good advice. I'm going to change all the fluids and filters after I put an hour or two on her.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 6:45pm
dchris; Just used the link to your site for more pics. Cool. Some of you guys impress me with your computer skills. I do feel dumb on here tho sometimes.....jbear
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 7:39pm
1974 Correct Craft Mustang 17: $700
Inboard Trailer: $100
Tires & Wheels: $170
Tune up kit, oil, & other basic parts: $200

The growl of a classic boat doing 50 in open water: PRICESLESS.

What a steal!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic