Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical deficit???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical deficit???
    Posted: August-29-2005 at 11:38am
I need some input on this! I have an 87 SN (351pcm) with the standard alternator (30 amp???) and internal voltage regulator. I'm running a marine battery (die-hard) as well. My boat seems to slowly discharge as I run it. Over about a 2 month period of running on the weekends the battery voltage slowly works its way down to about 10 volts, the boat horn barely blow, the stereo gets a little weak, and the running lights are dim. For accessories I have digital depth, Pro-pass, and FM stereo (they are powered up after start up and run constantly). I ski a lot so there are a lot of engine starts as well. Even tho my voltage gets down to 10 volts the boat still starts although it doesn't crank as fast.   I've checked my voltage at the battery (in the past) and it was 13.5 volts. The battery is properly serviced, and the belt tension is up on my alternator. There is no belt slippage, although the alternator is making a squeaking sound that you can hear at idle (always has). Is it possible to have a charging alternator and still have an electrical deficit??? I never see 13.5 volts at my volt meter (when running on the water), however I do see 12.5 volts after my battery maintainer has been plugged in over night in the garage. Or,is it possible to have an alternator thats putting out 13.5 volts but very few amps? (Correctcrafts really need an amp meter not a volt meter). I'm considering upgrading to the 50 amp alternator from Discount Inboard Marine that is suppose to be a bolt on replacement. Has anyone done this mod? Any idea's about what is going on????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 11:10am
Any idea's???
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 12:14am
Hi skyhawkflyer

An idea for you.

Why don't you put in a Delco single wire alternator.

It's a simple hookup and the mounting pattern is the same as your original Prestolite.
You just have to drill out the bottom hole on the alt slightly so you can use the original mounting bolt.

You can find them from reputable rebuilders on EBAY for about $65.00 or so plus shipping for a rebuilt marine single wire alternator

I've had one in my boat for quite a while now, works great and if you ever need parts they are easy to get unlike your Prestolite.

The Delco has an internal self exciting voltage regulator so you can ditch the external regulator that goes with the Prestolite.

Somebody is bound to say to get the 3 wire Delco, it's a little harder to hook up the wiring and for a boat without much for electrical loads, the single wire works just fine.

Now you have one idea, maybe somebody will have some comments after reading this but that was my solution after my alternator died and it's worked great for years now.

Keno
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 12:54am
I can say that it sounds like you lost a doide in the alternator. Alternators us a 3 phase output and if you loose one you will decrease about 1/3 your output. The only way to really test it is with a current meter on the alternator output. I had mine rebuilt and it works fine. Replacing the alternator with a single wire is OK if you have a relatively low current draw because the sense line is at the alternator and if the wire isnt large, you will get voltage drop in the wire where in the 3 wire you wont. A single wire will give you about 13.8 or so at the alternator stud, but if youre drawing a fair amount current, you might only get 13.0 volts at the end of that wire, then more as it goes to the dash. My opinion is to stick with the original, or go with the 3 wire. The only way to make a single wire work is by running a larger wire. Size would depend on the distance.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 8:16am
Sounds like as mentioned, you have a leaking diode in the alternator. Remember 13.6v is the mininum voltage running. A delco 3 wire does not contain the internal flame arresting as a marine unit does. The single wire should be no problem. The 10ga output wire you now have on the engine is fine.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 10:54am
You guy's just gave me more things to check! Keep the idea's comming.
As I stated earlier, I see 13.5 at the alternator, and at the battery. That's it. The battery discharges very slowly.
Vince at Discount Inboard Marine suggested that I check my grounds at the engine, the battery cables, and dash connections. I went through the dash last week, took me about 11 hours replacing faulty wiring and crimp connectors.
With the battery charger on, I see 12 volts at the dash, so I think that end is repaired. I didn't come across anything that will remedy the slow discharge tho.
I guess the first thing I will do this weekend is check over the cables, altho I don't understand how it starts if you have a bad connection.
The next step would be to remove the alternator and have it load tested. Or, does anybody know how to test it on the boat, or ring out the diodes. Is it possible to ring out the diodes through the terminals.
Keno, If I need a new Alternator I will definately check into your suggestion. the prestolites are expensive. Thanks!
Need more idea's folks!!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 9:48pm
Hi skyhawkflyer

Well,at least I generated some discussion for ya'.

I'll bet that like Jeff and Nate said you have a bad diode so it won't put out full capacity.

Also as far as the 3 wire, they make a marine version of that too. I have one sitting in the garage that is definitely "marine". About the same price as the single wire for a rebuilt.

keno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 11:58pm
A cheap way to test your alternator is by turning on one accessory at a time starting with the blower, then lights, etc. You should still read minimum of 13.4 volts at the battery with all acessories you are using assuming the total load doesnt exceed the alternator output rating. Check and note the voltage at the battery starting with nothing on and engine running at 1500 rpm, then turn on the accessories. Then just for the heck of it, try it at idle and see if the voltage goes down. Checking the diodes usually requires tearing into the alternator. I have a clamp on DC ammeter where I can just put it over the output wire and see what the current is. If you were to buy one, they run just under $200.00. They are really handy!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2005 at 9:09am
Thanks guy's. I can do all of that, I'm putting it in the water this weekend. I do have a very nice VTOM so I can tap in and read the amps. Something in the system isn't up to par.... but I think we're honing in. I'll get back to you sometime over the weekend with results, Thanks TJ
(Vince as SkiDim said I should have the original 45amp alternator so it should be capable of handling all accessories)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2005 at 12:37pm
Jeff and Nate78!
I tested my alternator yesterday. Although I could not test for amps (because I did not have the proper shunt for my VTOM) I did pull some voltage readings, all at idle.
At idle, my voltage guage read 13 volt after engine start (with a fully charged battery). When I turn on the blower, it drops to 12.5 volts on the guage. When I turn on the bilge pump it drops slightly, but when I add the running/position lights it drags it down to 12 volts.
I tested voltage at the alternator. It was 14 volts steady. For kicks I turned on all the accessories, lights and blower. The voltage stayed at 14 volts.
I went to the battery, with the engine running there was 14 volts present.
I ran the boat for 30 minutes and the voltage stayed at 13 volts for the duration. I parked for 2 hours and listened to the stereo (minimal draw with no amp) I started up to head in and the voltage dropped to 12.5 volts, with the blower and lights on it would drop to about 11.5 volts indicated on the guage). I drove the boat home for 30 minutes-the voltage never recovered, it stayed at 12.5 volts.
Prior to running the boat I cleaned my ground cables, the battery cable at the block, and the accessory cable at the rear of the engine. I didn't notice anything that was cause a bad ground situation. I'm still suspecting the alt is not putting out amperage (or enough of it). Now what?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2005 at 11:32pm
Measuring the voltage at the alternator stud is the way to go. When it didnt recover on the gauge, was it still 14v at the stud? Your alternator is fine if you turned all accessories and it remained at 14v at idle. If the alt were bad, the voltage would drop to 12.5 or less at the stud. Sounds like we have a voltage drop issue. If you take a voltmeter and measure between the - of the battery and the engine chassis, then between the + of the battery and the + accessory bussbar feed under the dash, and between the - batt post and the - bussbar under the dash. These readings will tell you the voltage drop between those items. You cant go by the voltmeter on the dash for accurate readings due to voltage drop in wiring and meter inaccuracy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2005 at 10:27am
OK Jeff, I'll take those reading and get back with you. It's going to be a couple weeks because I have some business travel coming up. So the thread will die for a bit.
I did turn on all equipment except the stereo and the voltage at the alternator remains 14 volts. I did not take any readings above idle, but I did not notice any change in the guage so I suspect it remains at 14 volts above idle as well. Is this enough? I always heard 14.5 volts minimum?????
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2005 at 12:02am
14 volts is fine. Everyone may be a little different depending on the regulator and sense wire. The MAIN goal is that the battery better be above 13.5v in order to work properly. You may get 14.5v or higher at the alternator stud if you are drawing a big load due to the voltage drop in the output wire. Anything above 14v or so will do nothing but boil your battery. Also, you will find the voltage higher when the alternator is cold and then will reduce some when it heats up. This is normal. Mine runs at 13.7v at the battery after warm up. Dont always go by the voltage reading at the stud, as it may be extremely high if the batt is low and taking a charge. May get 15v at the stud and 14v at the batt. Good luck on the trip!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2005 at 12:08am
Aside of the boat, I see you work with planes. Our business of Two-Way radio communications is right at the Sanford Airport. About 1000 ft from the runway. Bush flies in quite often, and we help out the town with wiring and troubleshooting of the lighting. We even installed the ODALS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2005 at 10:30am
Thanks Jeff, We've been flying pretty heavy in the Mississippi area. I'm on my way to Stennis in a few minutes. Disaster relief!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic