NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning Carb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Carb
    Posted: August-24-2005 at 12:00pm
I have a Carter AFB carb on a 318. The engine is running good, starting good. However, I took the arrestor off last night just to have a look and found the carb was a little grimey. Sorry for the ignorance of my questions, but I want to clean it up and am not sure the best course to take, spray on carb cleaner? Engine off?
One more thing, I have to push 4500 rpm to get to 40 mph, assuming tach and speedo are correct. I have a Michigan prop, which I can barely read on it "R13." Shouldn't the speed be a little better at those rpms?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 12:15pm

Carb cleaner, don't use engine cleaner on the carb. Also the speedo's are adjustable and the tach and speedo's are most likely a little off but with a stock motor that is all the speed you'll see.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 12:27pm
Lake...I always use carb cleaner. I take the carb off the boat and clean it...That way the gunk does not go anywhere but in a pan!

Speedo's...over time do get off a bit and need readusting.A slight clogging at the pickup or pitot may cause readings to be off but still read.Check to see that nothing is impeeding water flow. You can run along side someone(provided thier speedo is reading right) and see if you are close.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 12:43pm
Use spray carb cleaner.

I use a portable gps to check my speed. Works great!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 3:18pm
That grime is probably from the belts.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic