Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 sport nautique starting difficulty

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 sport nautique starting difficulty
    Posted: August-18-2011 at 5:43pm
The throttle lever and silver prop button underneath it must be positioned perfectly in neutral to start my boat.I had cables replaced recently and the lever mmechanism feels catchy, making the sweet spot harder to find. As a result, I am hesitant to shut off motor once it starts. The ignition uses a keypad button labeled "run" and "start". Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, do you think replacing throttle and prop button would help?

Thanks,
Ray, Chicago
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 6:40pm
Search the site for Neutral Safety Switch, you'll get an assortment of info. I like to use Google and put in the keyword CorrectCraftFan and then whatever the subject matter is you want to know about.

The NSSlooks like this.

Could be the switch itself, or it could be the shift cable adjustment.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 6:46pm
you need to check if when your throttle lever is in the neutral position, the lever in the tranny is also in the neutral position, if its not the case if wont fire as the NSS will engage and cut the power. Cables adjustment is done at the throttle helm, inside the gunnel...
Little tricky not too many space to work there.
Probably will need to remove the seat to have better access...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 7:29pm
thx for info I will check
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:10pm
Ray,
Whoever installed the new cable did a pathetic job of adjusting. No, contrary to Seb's comment, the adjustment is done at the trans. Was this a "so called dealer" !!    If so, it doesn't surprise me!! You need to "ohm" the contact closure on the NSS when the helm is set in the neutral position making sure you have a contact closure.

I see you are in Chicago - who did the work on the install of the cable?
Welcome to CCfan and please, fill us in on all the details!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic