Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 ski Nautique, electrical questions.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 ski Nautique, electrical questions.
    Posted: July-26-2011 at 12:42am
Hey guys, I've been lurking these boards for a while and finally registered. Anyways, I bought a 84 2001 that wasn't running. The boat had been sitting, so I charged the battery and went to see if I could get it to crank. No luck. I dont know what the switches are too because the lettering is worn off, but when I turned them on I got it so I had a constant alarm noise, even with the key removed. The volt gauge shows no volts, except when I go to crank the engine over, the volt meter will move just a hair, not enough to show volts, but enough to show that it moved. The horn works, I didnt hear the bilge turn on and it doesn't have any lights for me to check. Just for fun I replaced all the fuses, I put in 25amp fuses, is this ok? I'm guessing that this is some sort of ground issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start checking connections or what it might be? Also does anyone have any pictures of what the switches are so I can label mine? Thanks a lot guys, I would love to get this thing in the water before the summers over.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 9:32am
not given,
Did you check to see what the voltage is at the battery? (use a volt/ohm meter) If the boat has been sitting for a extended period and the battery was competely drained, then it's shot. Pulling a battery down below about 10 volts will permanently damage it.

Are the battery terminals clean? Did you use a wire type battery post cleaner on it and the cable terminals?

"just for fun" replacing fuses???? If they Ohm out good, why? Yes, do not indiscriminately replace fuses without checking the original amp rating. If you have an electrical problem, the larger amp fuse will not give you the protection needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:33am
It was missing fuses, so I replaced them to see if it made any difference, since they were missing and I couldn't check to see what the original rating was, I'm asking if 25 amps will work, will they? I used another, good battery to trouble shoot while the one from the boat charged. I cleaned the terminals as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Maximal691 Maximal691 wrote:

It was missing fuses, so I replaced them to see if it made any difference, since they were missing and I couldn't check to see what the original rating was, I'm asking if 25 amps will work, will they? I used another, good battery to trouble shoot while the one from the boat charged. I cleaned the terminals as well.

Yes, they will work but, as stated:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you have an electrical problem, the larger amp fuse will not give you the protection needed.

So, what was the voltage at the battery?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 11:50am
I didn't have a volt meter, but the battery took a charge, and the other battery I tried I know is good.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 1:05pm
I have an 84 2001 and just bought new fuse holders and fuses. Most are 15 and 20 but I don't remember what is what. I can let you know later, if it is not raining tonight.
Going from memory top to bottom it is:
Nav
something...
Bilge
Blower
Ignition

A PO also wired in an inline fuse on my ignition for some reason...

I'm in Albany with an 84, looks like I'm a bit ahead of you on the project. I've been able to use it 3 times so far but still have a bit of a transmission fluid leak.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 2:52pm
I'm going to just trying reconnecting all of the grounds and check all of the connections. Ny nautique are you goig to be redoing your stringers this winter by any chance?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 3:25pm

I didn't have a volt meter, but the battery took a charge, and the other battery I tried I know is good.

When you get a chance, get one. A basic meter is only around $25. You'll find them real handy for trouble shooting and you won't become a "parts changer". Very usefull around the car and house as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 3:36pm

When you get a chance, get one. A basic meter is only around $25. You'll find them real handy for trouble shooting and you won't become a "parts changer". Very usefull around the car and house as well.

Yea I Have a multi meter, I just didn't have one with me. I'm going to go back today more prepared. I was just wondering if there's a common problem with these boats or if there's anything extra I should be looking out for.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 3:53pm

I was just wondering if there's a common problem with these boats or if there's anything extra I should be looking out for.

The typical problem is dirty corroded conections and undersized ground and feed wiring up to the dash. You may also find brittle/broken .250 quick connect "sta-cons" under the dash as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 8:29pm
I keep blowing what I think is the bilge fuse? 3rd switch down from the top. Would this be the cause of now start or power?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:46pm

I'm going to just trying reconnecting all of the grounds and check all of the connections. Ny nautique are you goig to be redoing your stringers this winter by any chance?

I was right about the fuses on the left panel. And I still have no idea what the 2nd one down is for.

The right, you probably know, is the horn and then the 12V.

Yes, I am planning on doing the stringers this winter, as long as I have a heated space for it. Still working on that part...

Jeff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:51pm

I keep blowing what I think is the bilge fuse? 3rd switch down from the top. Would this be the cause of now start or power?

Yes, this is the bilge fuse. No reason that would cause it to not start.

I'm guessing you just have bad contacts. When was it last run?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:57pm
One other thing... what do you mean by "alarm noise"?

I have an issue when I attempt start it after it has been running, it won't do anything. I've found that keeping it in gear (not pulling the neutral pin) and going from forward to reverse will allow it to "click" and start. I then attempt to start, put it in neutral, give it gas, and I'm good to go. I have to check the morse to see where the problem is.
I've never looked at my gauges when I do this but maybe you could try this.
Make sure you don't run it without water though. Assuming yours is like mine, you can put a hose in the water strainer (the one with the wingnut on it in the engine compartment) in the hole going towards the engine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 11:27pm
After today I think I found out the alarm noise is from the depth gauge? The boat was last run last summer, and then the previous owner had engine problems. I'm sure the engine will probably need to be rebuilt, but I still want to get the electrical stuff figured out anyways. Ny Nautique my email is maxmincher2@yahoo.com, shoot me an email and we can talk about stringers.
tomegtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomegtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 2:48am

so nice to meet you.hope to be one of your friends,where you lived?I think you are a good guy and have good. favorites. In this connection, by theend of these new features will certainly contribute to social sharing and more rapid progress.microsoft office professional,
Office 2007,
office 2010,

Yea I Have a multi meter, I just didn't have one with me. I'm going to go back today more prepared. I was just wondering if there's a common problem with these boats or if there's anything extra I should be looking out for.
I really agree with your ideas. Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 10:34pm
I went through all of the connections and I got all the gauges to work and the depth finder to turn on. Thanks for the help guys.
jiangjiang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiangjiang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 1:25am
really want to reduce the number. Because they are not an officer,

pad case saleingno health

insurance card, the state does not reimburse them. Unlike those of

national cadres, are spending the country's health costs, the hospital

thinking about how to diagnose,keep

stylish
how to they can check? Because these medical expenses

were reimbursed by the state, they have plenty of money, just to check

what, for them, no matter how much harm!
asdasd123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asdasd123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 6:06am
As the most important event in a woman's life, wedding is bound to have an amazing wedding dress to steal the limelight.
bridesmaid dresses
bridesmaids dresses
junior bridesmaid dresses
plus size bridesmaid dresses
Evening Dresses sale
asdasd123
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic