Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SkiTique - rotten flooring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Marco Pistoll View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco Pistoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SkiTique - rotten flooring
    Posted: August-16-2005 at 8:55am
Perhaps someone can help me with my SkiTique (year of construction 1976). The timber flooring before the engine compartment to the
battery box is rotten and I must renew that. Does someone have experience, how one can make that at the best one?   

Cheers
Marco (Germany)              
Ben View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 2:22pm
I used a circular saw to cut glass away from wood. Just set the depth to cut the glass only. Do the outer edges, I went to about two inches from side. May want to dig out wet foam and check stringers well. I used marine grade plywood to replace. Put a coat of epoxy resin on under side. Then glassed it back in. I used foam and other materials from us copmosites. I cut a pattern out of foam board, then traced it on the wood. Hope this helps.
Marco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 9:11am
Many Thanks!!!
You gave me new ideas.

My first idea was in such a way to cut the rotted wood out between the pylon and the battery box so that the total battery box lies free. Then I wanted to replace the wood with a 2 - 3 mm high-grade steel plate and strengthen it with wood below.
Cheers
Marco (Germany)
Jared Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2005 at 2:07pm
Hey there everyone. My boat project seems to be identical to the project on your boat. I purchased it with a rotten batter box, rotten floor around the front of the motor, and several stringers with damage, rot and dry rot deteriorating the whole floor. I have since removed all the foam, and the fiberglass over the entire floor. That was completed with an angle grinder (carefully!). since the floor and foam was removed, I have been patching the rotten locaitons with epoxy/fiberglass coated sections of replacment wood. Then I'm laminating everything in with a polyester coat to bond well with the original construction. I'm almost done with this step right now, I've got a few more patches to put in but it's about there. I recently posted a question about this same topic. The debate stirred up some conversation about the available material for use in rebuilding a floor. NIDA Core came up as a big winner among some of the users here, so I went and checked it out. They make plastic honeycomb cores that can be bought wtih carbon, fiberglass or other material as a "skin" on each side of the honeycomb laminate. Or you can buy the core alone and laminate your own skins with fiberglass or another material. I was about to order the Nida Core product but the shipping was going to be more than I wanted to pay. I then found another company close by me in Michigan called Plascore. They make the same polypropalyne honeycomb cores and sold them to me with Viels and barriers to keep a good bond with the laminate and keep resin from getting into the honeycombs. This should provide a great stable and solid floor when completed. It will not rot, it wont rust, or retain moisture. It's also much lighter than wood and a lot lighter than steel. I'm looking forward to completing this project because Correct Craft just laid the floor (glass) directly over the foam and that seemed to have a significant effect on the wear of the floor and stringers. It should be a lot stronger when I'm done with it. I'd use composite laminate with honeycomb if I were you. Check out www.plascore.com or www.nida-core.com

Good luck!

A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic