Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2260
Printed Date: May-18-2024 at 7:12am

Topic: SkiTique - rotten flooring
Posted By: Guests
Subject: SkiTique - rotten flooring
Date Posted: August-16-2005 at 8:55am
Perhaps someone can help me with my SkiTique (year of construction 1976). The timber flooring before the engine compartment to the
battery box is rotten and I must renew that. Does someone have experience, how one can make that at the best one?   

Cheers
Marco (Germany)              

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August-17-2005 at 2:22pm
I used a circular saw to cut glass away from wood. Just set the depth to cut the glass only. Do the outer edges, I went to about two inches from side. May want to dig out wet foam and check stringers well. I used marine grade plywood to replace. Put a coat of epoxy resin on under side. Then glassed it back in. I used foam and other materials from us copmosites. I cut a pattern out of foam board, then traced it on the wood. Hope this helps.

Posted By: Marco
Date Posted: August-18-2005 at 9:11am
Many Thanks!!!
You gave me new ideas.

My first idea was in such a way to cut the rotted wood out between the pylon and the battery box so that the total battery box lies free. Then I wanted to replace the wood with a 2 - 3 mm high-grade steel plate and strengthen it with wood below.

-------------
Cheers
Marco (Germany)

Posted By: Jared Johnston
Date Posted: September-30-2005 at 2:07pm
Hey there everyone. My boat project seems to be identical to the project on your boat. I purchased it with a rotten batter box, rotten floor around the front of the motor, and several stringers with damage, rot and dry rot deteriorating the whole floor. I have since removed all the foam, and the fiberglass over the entire floor. That was completed with an angle grinder (carefully!). since the floor and foam was removed, I have been patching the rotten locaitons with epoxy/fiberglass coated sections of replacment wood. Then I'm laminating everything in with a polyester coat to bond well with the original construction. I'm almost done with this step right now, I've got a few more patches to put in but it's about there. I recently posted a question about this same topic. The debate stirred up some conversation about the available material for use in rebuilding a floor. NIDA Core came up as a big winner among some of the users here, so I went and checked it out. They make plastic honeycomb cores that can be bought wtih carbon, fiberglass or other material as a "skin" on each side of the honeycomb laminate. Or you can buy the core alone and laminate your own skins with fiberglass or another material. I was about to order the Nida Core product but the shipping was going to be more than I wanted to pay. I then found another company close by me in Michigan called Plascore. They make the same polypropalyne honeycomb cores and sold them to me with Viels and barriers to keep a good bond with the laminate and keep resin from getting into the honeycombs. This should provide a great stable and solid floor when completed. It will not rot, it wont rust, or retain moisture. It's also much lighter than wood and a lot lighter than steel. I'm looking forward to completing this project because Correct Craft just laid the floor (glass) directly over the foam and that seemed to have a significant effect on the wear of the floor and stringers. It should be a lot stronger when I'm done with it. I'd use composite laminate with honeycomb if I were you. Check out www.plascore.com or www.nida-core.com

Good luck!

-------------
A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980

Print Page | Close Window