Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Repower 87 martinique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
under prop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote under prop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repower 87 martinique
    Posted: April-03-2011 at 3:11pm
Can you swap a 454 pcm easily for a 351pcm? could a 351 be easily replaced by a 454?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 3:14pm
Rob,
What's you concern? In brief, yes but why? Something wrong with the 351?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote under prop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 3:50pm
Interested in more hp. Are logistics difficult ie 1:1 borg warner, and motor mount placement?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote under prop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 3:55pm
By the way, i'm still having trouble posting photos on this forum help! #@&$!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote under prop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 5:06pm
Still evolving, hope to post more later.
Skiing, sailing, & diving!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 6:02pm
Rob,
I'd suggest taking a look at some 351 upgrades. Yes, you may get more HP out of a big block but the weight will be more as well.

Engine/trans mounts on all the modern engines are pretty adjustable.

Use the "post reply" instead of the "quick reply". Clicking on the icon with the tree with the up arrow on will bring up a "browse" window. Clicking it will enable you to select a picture off your computer. If it's too big for the site (it's best to size to the sites page width anyway) then downsize using a program on your computer or one of the internet photo sites like photobucket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 8:08pm
Just the upgrade from the standard 240hp 351 to the the Pro Boss is quite a noticeable difference, a cam and intake will give you even more and is cheaper than a whole new motor. If you add a prop to that as well, I doubt you'll feel underpowered unless your looking to build a sleeper for on of the Reunions. Lol

PCM makes motor mount adapters to replace the 351 with a 350 or the 6 liter motor if you want to get more modern.
skidcl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidcl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 11:29pm
Better people than correct me, but I think you need the 72C Borg Warner transmission to replace the 71c if you go from the 351 to the 454. When I made a transmission replacement, I found the 72 transmission is a little longer and I had to replace the shaft with one two inches shorter. With the original shaft, the prop was too close to the rudder.

Also, on my lake, the one boat I knew of that had the 454 engine (a BFN) didn't go much faster than my same hull 351 Dominique, but it accelerated much faster at the price of making more noise and burning more fuel.

If you are barefooting, pulling pyramids or getting several people up on skis at once, the engine made sense.

If you want the 454, my thought would be to look for the Barefoot Nautique, where the engineering is already done. There are usually a couple for sale all the time on this site. Otherwise look at the engine mods, primarily the heads, for the 351. They really boost horsepower from the nominal 240 hp.

Maybe this is useful.

Maybe this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic